Vancouver/Victoria BMW Dealers

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MANXMAN, Mar 30, 2006.

1. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    I have heard many times that dealer on the Island is great, and that the 2 in the city are not so great, but can someone explain what is it that makes them so much better. The extra time and expense to get there has always kept me from going there to buy bikes and get service.

Thanks
  2. North

North Aimless Drifter

Oddometer:
    I have had no problems with all 3 dealers.

The Vancouver Island Dealer is just a BMW Dealer. It's more laid-back, a small town kind of feeling. The kind of place were you can just stop to hang out at. They have coffee and donuts.:yum I bought my 1200 from them. I have gone back over twice and its a nice day trip.

The Richmond one sells yamaha's and BMW's. Every-one there is nice. Its a bigger operation.

The last couple of times I was in the Downtown Vancouver one, I had the feeling that they wanted me out and that I was interrupting something.

I live in the Lower Mainland and go to the Richmond one all the time and have my bike serviced there.

I have only had a BMW for 9 months, so I really can't say who has better service.
  3. tuffbmw

tuffbmw secondary road explorer

Oddometer:
    Kelly and his staff at SM Cycle in Victoria give excellent service. You are made to feel at home as soon as you walk into the place :thumb
  4. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Its all about the stories you hear about what kind of service you get after they have youre money. Thats why I chose SM Cycle. I have details I could share but I wont waste my time badmouthing the other boys. Do yourself a favour and take a ferry ride.
  5. North

North Aimless Drifter

Oddometer:
    Well said.:thumb

But...lets here the stories, it's fun to bad-mouth.:D
  6. paulmondor

paulmondor Iceman

Oddometer:
    I have bought 6 bikes from Kelly. I was always given top notch service.. kelly is an absolute hoot and him and his staff will make you feel at home.. We hee onm the island go there for coffee and donuts and hang out as well! which tells you what kind of place this is..

The 2 on the mainland??? been there and will never go back.. Just my opinion.
    Kelly is known to help anybody who comes in and from anywhere. whether you bought there or not..

If you comre on the West Coast i wou;ld suggest you stop by.. You will make it a destination i guarantee you this..:freaky
  7. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    In Calgary where there is no choice, it's unbelievable. That's why we're coming to JV for service. I had my 10,000 km service at JV and was amazed (they actually stock air filters!!!!....here, they are a special order item). Coming out in May for my 20,000k. JV is a great location for travellers - drop the bike off - go to Kits, Jericho, exotic car dealers, etc.
  8. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    So how long do you leave your bike? If the engine has to be cold for the x0,000 services, You have to drop it off at around 8:30 am, it sits around for the morning to get it "cold" then have the service, tires installed, ect. done in the afternoon and leave JV's by about 4pm. Its a long day.
  9. Stand Up

Stand Up Ride non-painted roads

Oddometer:
    Drop off 4:30 Tuesday, keep gear in locker at JV, walk by Lambo dealer, walk to Granville Island or Kits beach, beer and beer some more, eat, cab or walk to Hostel. Next day workout at Jericho gym, rent mountain bikes, ride False Creek and sea wall. Return bikes at hostel, run waterfront from Jerico to Kits, up to JV, get GSs, back to sailing/kayak club at Jerico, rent kayak or wind surfer, eat, beer and more beer, stagger back to hostel. Yup it's a long day, hope it's not raining. JV had loaner bikes last year (GS). Don't think we'll bother.
  10. North

North Aimless Drifter

Oddometer:
    You could always spend the afternoon at Wreck Beach too! :eek1

I think it's still nude.:clap
  11. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's only 1 guy I'd take my Beemer to on the mainland, and he's in Mission. He's a certified BMW mechanic [was lead BMW guy at a former dealer until Harley told them to drop BMW], owns his own business at his home [low overhead], and just like Kelly at SM he's a great guy passionate about bikes, with an impressive multi make collection. Only problem is, he's not an official dealer, so can't do warranty stuff. But he has all diagnostics for the 1200's.
    JV has a serious case of thinking they're the best just because of their location, which does not look good on them. Pacific? Well I like Tom, nice guy, but not sure of their mechanics status lately. There's been some movement of service personnel between JV and Pac. I'd want to inquire further before offering comment.
    Ciao, Steve G.
  12. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:

Steve, could you PM me his contact info?

Thanks
  13. slideways

slideways EspaƱa

Oddometer:
    The best BMW service I have found anywhere is this guy in Calgary
    http://anderwerks.com/
    They are not a BMW dealer , just a service center but will bend over backwards to help you out.

When my GS was new I used the Richmond dealer for some warranty work and new tires and recieved good service there also.
  14. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    I used to show up around 8am, go have some breakfast, hang out for awhile in the neighbourhood (sure as hell beats Richmond for that!) and pick up the bike just after lunch. If they dump the oil, the bike cools even more quickly. Just before I sold mine, I started doing some of the work myself--most of it is so easy that I can't believe I wasted so much $$ at the dealer. I just checked the valves on my VFR for the first time, and do I ever miss the boxer for ease of service! For the record, I didn't have any particularly negative experiences with JV or Pacific.
  15. advridergirl

advridergirl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I scheduled into JV last year for my 10k service on my F650GS and was really happy with their service. My work was scheduled but Jerry ended up needing new tires half way through our trip and they were very accommodating. They got his tires done right away while my bike cooled so we could have transportation for the rest of the day while they had my bike.

I would have let my SO do the work (he used to be the BMW Certified Mechanic for the dealership here in town) but since I was in warranty I figured I better have the dealership do it so I could get my stamp. If I still owned a BMW my first preference would be Jerry, after that I would travel to Calgary or Vancouver to get my work done before going to the local dealer here.

Jacqui