1. eNewsletter Sign Up

vario side case repair

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by MDB, May 7, 2005.

1. MDB

MDB I am not advised

Oddometer:
    Ok, I know I'll get flamed for this, but-jeez-my gs is brand new.

Got a nice ding in the front of the aluminum covering on one of my vario cases. I'll leave out the detail about how, but it was related to some squid's bike being parked too close to mine.

Anyway, I thought I could take it apart and pull the wrap-around aluminum covering off, and get a dent repair place to massage it out. After I got all the screws off the that hold the molding on, the aluminum refused to budge. It's almost like it's glued on. Any ideas how to remove it without causing further damage? Does BMW sell just the aluminum covers? If so, how much is my vanity going to cost me?
  2. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    If the 12's bags are like the F650GS's OEM bags, the aluminum foil covers are also held on with several thin rows of double sided tape.

I removed the POS covers and sprayed them with truck bed liner. Much more durable.
  3. Doodie

Doodie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep you can buy the aluminum side but you will have to buy the entire side case cover, minus the top and bottom protector strips, it is 95.00. Go to A&S BMW website and look at the microfische for the part #, and then order from Chicago BMW, you will get 20% off the list price of $119
  4. MDB

MDB I am not advised

Oddometer:
    Thanks Doodie, I'm starting to think that some well-placed reflective tape might also work, and at six clams, alot cheaper.
  5. gelandestrasse

gelandestrasse Fidem Scit

Oddometer:
    How are the protector strips attached? Do they just glue on?
  6. GSALite

GSALite Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, reflective is good, I have been putting cool stickers on mine. I got Touratech and of ADV stickers all in "strategic" places. I figure when they get bad enough I then take everythign apart and black them out. I noticed the new ones are blacked out already? I was just looking on A&S and that is what they looked like.
  7. gelandestrasse

Oddometer:
    I knew I should have started another thread. :lol3

I have recently damaged the protector strip on one of my side cases. The replacement piece is $20.00, but I don't know how they're attached. I'm trying to find out how the protector strips are attached so that I can replace them. Do they just glue on?
  8. GSALite

Oddometer:
    I do not know how they are on, yet. I am waiting for a whole extra side cover that I bought here on the FM. Once I have it I will "learn". Might be a week or two if you can wait. I figured better to experiment with a spare. Once I know I can let you know. Good luck.
  9. gelandestrasse

Oddometer:
    I can wait. Thanks in advance!
  10. pavement pounder

pavement pounder The road to Paradise is "UN-Paved"

Oddometer:
    I put a BAnd-Aid on mine "first ouwie", it's been there for two years. get a lot of comments. on that! otherwise, stickers from places you've been.
  11. GSALite

Oddometer:
    Well that was almost too easy. I got the spare in the mail and got all my tools lined up and got a drink and mentally prepared to attempt not to screw anything up (standard mantra stuff).

I took the three screws off the bottom protective strip and it fell off. All done. The screws go from the inside. The top strip you have to remove the locking mechanism, just a few screws and it comes out and the top is like the bottom. The aluminum piece does indeed seem to be glued in place, so I will not be removing that. So there you go. Kevin
  12. Andino

Andino Roaming Expat

Oddometer: