Vegas to Austin by way of Utah and New Mexico -Mid November

Discussion in 'Americas' started by specbebop, Oct 30, 2020.

1. specbebop

specbebop n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to ride from Las Vegas to Austin, taking an upper bent through the southern part of Utah and down the middle of New Mexico. Mostly state highways, interstates, and a few detours on some gravel and mountain roads.

I'm from Texas, I'm used to riding in 100º weather, in the winter in the 20's for short bursts. I've got the gear (heated liners all around, nice Rev'it goretex jacket, rain gear), so I'm confident the temps aren't going to hold me back much.

Am I crazy to think this is doable for a warm blooded Texan?

Here's my route:
    Vegas to St. George, UT
    Over to Springdale and down the Zion-Mt Carmel Hwy
    Kanab to Page, to Farmington, NM
    Over to Bloomfield down what looks like a dirtish Rd 4450 along Largo Canyon
    Towards Cuba and cut across the Valles Caldera on 126
    Down Roswell and off to Texas

I've attached a .GPX file if that helps.

What am I getting myself into? A nice 4 day ride or a lot of trouble?

Attached Files:

2. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    In January I attempted to ride from SCal to Key West. I made it to just past Houston before I ran into Tornados...and turned around. Both ways I was in temps as low as 28deg. I had heated gear and did just great. You'll be fine.
  3. specbebop

specbebop n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks Migolito. I could through much further south by way of Tucson, but Utah New Mexico landscape looks way more interesting.

I’ll keep an eye out for tornados. Coincidentally, the worst weather I’ve ridden through was between New Orleans and Houston. Torrential downpour with 18 wheelers all around me.
    Migolito likes this.
  4. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took a look at your tracks and unfortunately I see some problems with the dirt roads in New Mexico.

I haven't lived there in a couple of years, but I rode all of this for nearly 50 years. I still keep up with closures.

First it snowed there this week so the unpaved forest roads are likely impassable and won't open until spring.

But even if they do open, FR 289 is closed where it crosses Cochiti Pueblo at the south end. If open you could take FR10 further to the west.

The road across from I-25 thru San Felipe rez is not open anymore either. I think CR 52 to the north is open.

NM 126 has a dirt section that gets bad silt just before Fenton Lake. I have heard that the silt got really bad this summer.

You might try posting in the Rockies forum to get the best up-to-date information.

If you have time, you might consider taking the UT 12, 24, 95, US 191 loop to the north of your route. It is out of the way, but a spectacular ride.
  5. specbebop

specbebop n00b

Oddometer:
    This is great info. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton.

Those dirt routes in my gpx file came out of Rever. So, for anyone else out there using Rever, take their road recommendations with a grain of salt before heading out. I know here in Texas a lot of the roads it marks as dirt are now paved.

And thanks for the reroute suggestion. Maybe cutting out some of the “dirt” in NM I can keep it to 3-4 days (wife limit).