Vegas to Cabo down, up the mainland. Tubes or mousse? mainland areas to avoid?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by 87mcmahan87, Feb 11, 2019.

1. 87mcmahan87

87mcmahan87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok im planning on staging in vegas with my 690 endure and riding down to cabo and then crossing over via ferry to the mainland and coming back up that way. I plan to do mostly 2 track and dirt roads maybe some singletrack and I imagine ill wind up on a fair bit of pavement from time to time. I know the mousse system doesn't like pavement/high speeds, but ive also heard they are pretty much mandatory for baja if you don't want to fix a flat every day. So my question is how long will the mouuse last? Can it withstand some pavement pounding here and there? How many miles can I get out of it? 1000? 2000? Or, is it better to just run the ultra heavy duty tube slathered with that fix a flat slime? Or another option altogether? Ive searched the forums but nothing really came up to my surprise. ( I probably did it wrong im technologically handicapped)

Next, I have a buddy that has ridden in mexico and mention there are a bunch of places to avoid on the mainland due to being sketchy. Can anyone elaborate on these areas?
  2. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd run tubes because you're going to have to do a lot of pavement. Mexico mainland (Sierra Madre Occidental) has some of the most incredible dual sport riding anywhere, but you're going to run into narcos when you get off the beaten path. They generally just ask you WTF you're doing, where coming from/going etc. and its usually tranquilo. its hard on the mainland to travel off road and get anywhere in a reasonable manner, so you end up picking a few dirt routes and slabbing between them. The paved roads through the Sierra are incredible however so you could route from Mazatlan to say Agua Prieta and be in very enjoyable riding for a solid week. Also better to have someone with you if going off road, Baja or mainland. Whatever you do, don't just ride 15 all the way back to the border. Hope this helps. Saludos.
  3. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:

Hi

Your way overestimating flats in baja.

My baja ride .... 6 riders ...10 days .... 1,800 miles ...2 flats.

So that's a combined total milage of 10,800 miles of baja with 2 flats.

We were all on light bikes ... ktm 500, 350 and xr650r...riding as much dirt as possible.

I would run tubes for that trip here's why.

1) I do not trust mousse to hold up given the amount of slab you will encounter.

2) I would do at least 1 tire change on this trip ... mousse tire changes are significantly more difficult.

3) I have good trail kit for tube/tire change .. and ...I have done it enough trail side now that I am comfortable and confident in doing it.

Enjoy your ride

Scott
  4. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    If you're not familiar with using bib mousse, I'd hesitate to do it for the first time on a long trip to Mexico. Changing a tire with a bib mousse is a major PITA without a changing stand. And if the mousse fails, it will be another PITA to change to a tube. Baja does have more kinds of cacti than you can imagine especially in the Vizcaino desert but with the amount of road I envision for your route, I wouldn't run a mousse. For longer trips, I carry a spare rear and front normal weight tube as spares, and use UHD tubes in the tires on the bike. If you get a flat, carefully inspect the tire for left over spines, install the spare tube, and carry the punctured tube to one of the countless tire repair places (llanteria sp?) you pass and have them patch it.
    jimmex likes this.
  5. 87mcmahan87

87mcmahan87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great Info guys, I think I'll stick with tubes!
    Thanks for all the help!
  6. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    87mcmahan87 likes this.
  7. WFO1

WFO1 Living the Dream Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bibs are great and since I've been using them for years they are easier for me to change than tubes. I actually don't own any tubes. Only tubeless on the 1290. I've been running them in my 500 now for over a year. I figure I'm good for about 300 miles of slab per adventure. I put tubeless valve stems in so I can add lube whenever it's convenient, because thats how they work. It's been an experiment thats worked so far.
    So far I've had no issues but not much slab and more importantly not much slab on really hot days. Heat is the enemy.
    Can anyone tell me how many miles of slab (aprox) you have on a trip like this?
  8. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ Several hundred.