1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Venturing through the Northenmost Cordilleras Philippines

Discussion in 'Asia' started by brandorosales, Sep 5, 2014.

1. brandorosales

brandorosales no adventure yet.

Oddometer:
    Day 2 continuation:

I'm all smiles all the way when I realized it was already past 1pm. And I went on and on, playing with dirt, some mud and dirt with twisties. I was kind of disappointed since there are no more river crossings lol. But seriously, it's a sign of progress. All the bridges are connected (at least from where I travelled).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. brandorosales

Oddometer:
    Last pic taken before things went a U-turn lol.

[​IMG]

Things didn't turned out as planned, again. The GPS that I've used, lost its signal somehow and didn't direct me to the right direction were a junction towards Pudtol, Apayao should be the right way. Out there, all the roads seemed to look the same and one can easily get lost, and get lost I did. Local directions are of no help too since they didn't know or never heard of the place called Pudtol. They instead referred me to the road that will go to Tabuk, where the local transportation also traverse.

At the back of my head I have a couple of options:

a) Backtrack to Bangued
    b) Go where the locals say and have a beer in Tabuk before dark
    c) Go with what the adventurer in me says: just ride it out!

And that's what I did. I chose option c. So I rode, to places unknown, places that's not in the map. I can decribe the road as winding steep uphill and downhill passes, with the side of big and small rocks, some dirt and mud.

Time check again: It is already 4pm! I asked some locals for directions and they told me that I'm still in the town of Pasil, Kalinga. I asked my self if I am getting played around by the mountain gods or some vooodooo ritual :eek1.

So I back-tracked again and feeling kind of nervous and excited at the same time. Well I told myself, "I did carry my emergency food, water and my camping tent so nothing to worry."

If that was the case, I was thinking of back tracking till I reach the construction worker's barracks somewhere along the way and camp there for the night.

After a few more kilometers of backtracking, I seemed off-track again. I asked an old man on a waiting shed for directions. Unfortunately, the old man does not speak tagalog and so I said "I'm done". Then there was this man on his KLX150 that stopped beside me. Maybe he sensed that I was lost in the jungle and he talked to the old man on their local dialect and turned his head to me and said "I'm off to Tabuk, you can tag if you want".

"You're a life saver!" With only 90 mins of sunlight left, there's no other road than the road to Tabuk. This guy, seemed to know how to tackle these dirt roads by heart. We were going 60-70kph on winding dirt roads! I don't wanna shame me and my bike so I went all the way too like there's no tomorrow:evil

It's just a shame though that I wasn't able to take a couple of pics on the way out. There's also this small falls flowing freely along the road. Very beautiful.

Finally out of the frying pan:

[​IMG]

That road on the pic was takan on a Y-junction. On our right is the road that will take you to Bontoc, Mountain Province and to Sagada. The road we're facing will take us to Tabuk City.
  3. brandorosales

Oddometer:
    This guy as it turns out, is Principal Lino Latawan of Pasil Central School in Amdalao Pasil, Kalinga and he resides in Tabuk City. He's on his way home when he saw me.

When we reached the Bontoc - Tabuc Rd and Kalinga - Cagayan Rd rotunda, he asked me, "sir, are you in a hurry?"
    I said "not really sir"
    "Please come with me at my home and have some refreshments"

[​IMG]

Thank you again Sir Lino for you and your family's hospitality.
  4. brandorosales

Oddometer:
    After some pleasantries, I bade him goodbye and he referred me to Davidson's Hotel Tabuk City for the night.

[​IMG]

As it also turns out, the hotel owner is also an avid motorcyclist and has the 1 of only 2 CRFs in Tabuk City.

Capped the night off with supposedly 2 San Miguel Beers again but my host gave me his special concoction: "The Four Gentlemen and a Bastard". 2 blended scotch, 1 Tennessee whisky and 1 single malt whisky. HUWOW! :freaky

I was really impressed with his wines and spirits collection. The best I've seen so far.

[​IMG]
  5. brandorosales

Oddometer:
    Day 3: Going home

The planned route will not be easy. I wanted to go to Santiago City, Isabela via Paracelis, Mountain Province

[​IMG]

or go up to Sagada, Mountain Province via the Paracelis - Bontoc Rd.

[​IMG]

Took my breakfast here at the local diner

[​IMG]
  6. brandorosales

Oddometer:
    Breakfast of champions: Pancit Cabagan

[​IMG]

It was delicious! The best pancit cabagan I've had so far. You guys should try this.
  7. brandorosales

Oddometer:
    Went back to the hotel to do my prep.

Look at those gorgeous bikes (mine's not LOL)!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really enjoyed my stay there too. Thank you again Sir Erren for you and your staff's hospitality.

Davidsons Hotel Tabuk

Contact 09264126018 / 09175797110 for reservations.
  8. brandorosales

Oddometer:
    Fill her up!

83 octane? LOL

[​IMG]

The Church

[​IMG]
  9. brandorosales

Oddometer:
    On the road to Paracelis, Mountain Province

[​IMG]

After this pic, things went out of plan again. Heavy rains finally caught up with me and my adventure became soaking wet.

I have to decide again if I would push through 100++ kms of off road or should I take a much more sure and safe paved route.

I decided to do an about face on the Paracelis route and took the longer paved route instead to Santiago City via Enrile HWY.

It's hard to be in a tight situation specially that I'm riding solo. And I was right. The local army detachment told me that although security is not an issue, but the road conditions will be especially during heavy rains.

Santiago City at last!

[​IMG]

Last pic before the heavy downpour caught up with me again. It was a "damn cold rainy night" like what Avril Lavigne said. tsk tsk tsk.

This is also prolly the longest ever time I've spent travelling the Belete Pass. Zero visibility due to fog and the rain, and add those huge semi trucks along the way.

Past 8pm. My tang-mer-hap (lunch snack and dinner in one): Sinampalukang kambing (goat in tamarind soup) with a side dish of inihaw na liempo (pork bbq) + 2 extra rice in Muñoz, Nueva Ecija.

[​IMG]
  10. brandorosales

Oddometer:
    Finally, home. Raining all the way.

[​IMG]

That's the odometer reading from Tabuk City to home and it's already past 2am! LOL

As you can see, almost all of my plans didn't work.

But I'm very blessed. My job gave me a couple of days paid rest. 2 days of sun, esp. up there in the mountains, VISA from wifey, an able motorcycle, and I've met new friends.

This ride also includes:

1. Long ride
    2. Offroad
    3. Twisties
    4. Offroad with twisties
    5. Wet and wild ride

Before I went on this journey, I prayed to God to bless me with a safe journey, no stalls or flat tires or stuck-in-ruts situation and to meet new friends.

He blessed me with all of that.

Thanks for viewing and I hope you guys and gals enjoyed may little adventure.

The route: 1230kms of paved and unpaved roads

[​IMG]

Brando Rosales
  11. lpst

lpst Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice write up! Glad you made it back safely :thumb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. themosjohn

themosjohn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By all means a success. Every day that starts with a breath of air is great. With all limbs in tact and a motorcycle that runs bumps it up to paradise status.
  13. Seedywee

Seedywee Born again biker

Oddometer:
    I'm sure that my CRF also wants to travel these roads! What map system did you use in your GPS?
  14. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along on your adventure. That area has some great riding.

Not having to ride 60 -70 kph, like there is no tomorrow, is one of the reasons to ride solo. Having someone who knows the way, is a reason not to. You will not soon forget meeting Principal Lino.

That was a long trip in a short time.

Thanks again.
  15. raj914

raj914 Short Timer

Oddometer:
    Nice ride sir bryan :D
  16. brandorosales

Oddometer:
    Thanks bro, glad you liked it.

F'n A!
  17. brandorosales

Oddometer:
    I used a darn old GPS from a Toyota SUV with it's old map. Not recommended :D. Yes! your CRF surely will be wanting these roads

You're welcome and thanks too, glad you liked it.

Thanks
  18. vanveen

vanveen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice ride thanks for taking me along
  19. jepoy96

jepoy96 n00b

Oddometer:
    nice RR. its nice to meet good people during rides. i am planning to do this route someday.

ride safe sir
  20. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was fun to read your report for a second time. With the dry season coming up, any new trips planned?