1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Vermont/Montreal/NY Aug 22-24

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by NYCBlueKnight, Aug 17, 2003.

1. NYCBlueKnight

NYCBlueKnight LBD4DL

Oddometer:
    I am heading up to Vermont - Lake Champlain Islands - Will probably stay in South Hero Island. Plan on leaving NYC on friday morning. I have to go into Montreal for the day on Saturday, back to Hero Island to sleep and sunday back riding / meandering to NYC. Anyone recommend some cool routes - vermont 7 looks good. just need a nice (read: no 18 wheelers) way to get from NYC up towards vermont. Anyone interested in going? Or can give some info on some good routes! Let me know. Thanks!!
  2. AJ2

AJ2 Master of the Universe

Oddometer:
    Well, for the first couple of hours, I'd go up the Taconic. If you don't know it, it's pretty fast, curvy and scenic, and no trucks. The Taconic is around 120 miles, if memory serves, and you can head over to VT, and avoid the Thruway entirely.
  3. Gary

Gary Another Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    Blue Knight,

If you only did one road in VT, it should be route 100 all the way up to Stowe. It is a beautiful ride with sweepers, twisties, little white churches w/green tin roofs, lot's of cool places to stop, etc. etc.

Route 7 is OK, but kind of busy in places, and nothing like 100.

The roads over (and around the area of) the Lincoln Gap (between Warren and Lincoln) are awesome too.

Take route 108 out of Stowe and over Smugglers Notch towards the lake/islands.

Lot's of others, but I can't remember the route numbers. The local boys could add a lot to this I'm sure.

Vermont is awesome, have fun.

Gary
  4. P. Urquell

P. Urquell Martini Taste Tester

Oddometer:
    As the others have suggested, take the Taconic all the way up until it ends. At that point you can take I90E and/or some back roads and eventually make it onto RT100. Take that all the way north.

On the way back, one option is to take a ferry across Lake Champlain either at Burlington or Grand Isle. Then try to take RT8 and RT30 through the Adironacks. Nice but not as pretty as VT.

Enjoy and safe riding
  5. NHGS

NHGS Granite Scrambler

Oddometer:
    The Burlington ferries are a long time on the boat. If you want more riding in Vermont before crossing into NY on your way home, you could also take the Crown Point Bridge or the small ferry at Ticonderoga. The Ti Ferry is $3, takes about 20 minutes and is open from 8 am - 8 pm. From Ticonderoga, route 9N is a nice ride along the eastern shore of Lake George. You can pick up 87 just north of Bolton Landing and blast home from there. Have a great trip.
  6. Snivly Dweeb

Snivly Dweeb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry a bit late but if you come across at plattsburg try the 374 through Danamora, Just don't stop for a visit....
    It leads to Chateauguay NY and you can head up to the border from there.From there head north to the 202 to huntingdon then your choice of 138 to get to the Mercier bridge and into Montreal.

Family obligations prevent me from meeting you at the border Saturday (its the girfriends sisters b'day),unless you are coming through early morning say 9 or 10am.

PS:the view of the St Lawrence valley from the heights after the border is pretty spectacular.....sorta makes you think its a natural invasion route.:huh
    Sniv in Montreal
  7. PBX

PBX Artful pothole dodger

Oddometer:
    I agree with the general idea of taking the Taconic up and then cutting over.

Route 7 is for the most part the most boring non-Interstate in Vt. It's wide and flat and heavily patrolled relative to other secondary roads.

Having ridden these roads before, I'd say do this if the navigation isn't too much of a pain:

>> Taconic to the Route 295 exit (just a few miles short of the end of the parkway -- so you skip the I-90 toll)
    >> 295 east into MA to 41
    >> N on 41 a few miles to 20
    >> E on 20 into Pittsfield
    >> N on 7 briefly, around odd rotary, to Rt. 9
    >> E on 9 to 8A in Windsor
    >> N on 8A (watch the signs) into VT -- great, twisty, often a bit sandy -- to a T wiith 112
    >> N on 112 into Jacksonville, to 100
    >> N on 100 all the way to Waitsfield, L on 17
    >> W on 17 over the Appalachian Gap. (possibly the most technical paved road in the state, have fun and be careful) to 116
    >> N on 116 to I-89 or Rt 2
    From there you can get to Burlington easily, and to the islands from there...
  8. NYCBlueKnight

NYCBlueKnight LBD4DL

Oddometer:
    thanks for all the input. i greatly appreciate it. will definitely do 100 as much as possible. looking forward to vt!!!