Vermont / New Hampshire

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ejm4, Jul 27, 2020.

1. ejm4

ejm4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We expect to arrive @ Mount Washington this Friday around lunch time. We will have Friday afternoon, Saturday and part of Sunday to explore.

Suggestions? We will be on big bikes...
  2. mcso

mcso Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a big loop on all the maps that go around Mt. Washington. I would do the climb/ride to the top of Mt. Washington. You'll have a story to tell. Very ride able, don't let me scare you off, just different and beautiful. Brewery with good food in Woodstock. I don't recall the route numbers but you can't pick wrong.
    ejm4 likes this.
  3. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m not real familiar with off-road routes in the area, but I would second the suggestion to ride to the top of Mt Washington. Then I’d suggest the Kancamagus Highway (112) up over the Whites, then 302 back over the Whites through Crawford Notch. Lincoln and Woodstock on the west side have decent microbreweries. Not sure the situation with the National Forest campgrounds in the area with the coronavirus, but I’ve stealth camped along both 112 and 302 several times. There are numerous two-tracks with gates you can get around, but you didn’t hear it from me.
    ejm4 likes this.
  4. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The title of this thread is "Vermont / New Hampshire". Are you looking to spend the weekend in both states or just NH?
    If you are coming from PA, what is your route up here? If you want a suggestion on a route, take I87 north from Albany, NY, exit 28 onto Rt 74 east and across the Crown Point bridge into VT. Take Rt 17 east (spectacular!) to Rt 100. From there I'd trend northeast and shoot for Rt 302 into Woodsville, NH and take Rt 122 to Lincoln, NH.
    From Lincoln you can head north through Franconia Notch or head east across the Kancamagus Highway (overrated).
    The ride up Mt Washington is pretty impressive and rides through the notches are great: Pinkham Notch, Franconia Notch , Crawford Notch, and my favorite, Rt 113 through Evans Notch. The notches are most impressive riding south to north but of course you can't ride them all northerly.
    Camping is tight in NH because it's tourist season and some of the State Park and National Forest campgrounds are not open this year. I never stay in private campgrounds so I can't comment there. You can try making campground reservations to see what's available.
    Good luck with your trip and stay safe!
  5. Tryggr

Tryggr Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I second the hwy 112 (Kancamagus) as a fun ride, also the Woodstock inn & brewery in North Woodstock is excellent food. If you are looking for a place to stay, Inn 32, also in North Woodstock, is motorcycle friendly, clean and comfortable. I have stayed there twice on my Louisiana to Maine rides in the last few years.