Vermont plates for bikes without titles

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Henryarms77, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Henryarms77

Henryarms77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is an on going topic of discussion I seem to bump into frequently. Hence through laborious research I've come across this. It's not my own article but I'd like to share the link for all those who have wondered. So here it is,I hope it's a helpful tool for some of you. Thanks!

http://www.motorcycleconsumernews-d...gedArticle.action?app=false&articleId=1039557

Now you can tell me, myth or legend.....

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
  2. Square1

Square1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worked for me!
    Bought a pile of parts of a 1966 bike. No papers/title.
    The frame and engine block had the short Vin .
    Took the frame to the local police and they wrote a letter that they saw it and that it was legit.
    Send the letter and registration forms from the web to Vermont DMV.
    Got a pretty green license plate and every year a new sticker for it.
    Bike is still not done.
  3. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    First...got 70 pages about tjis, last post 9\14. Done it, works fine.
    Jarlaxle likes this.
  4. Tripped1

Tripped1 RonS says I am BSC, scorched earth or something

Oddometer:
    I think I am going to give that a whirl with my car when I go back to the States.

1995 GT-R that doesn't have a traditional vin. Its literally a serial number. BCNR33xxxxxx .....model and number run.
  5. sleazy rider

sleazy rider Retired

Oddometer:
    lonegunm4n likes this.
  6. lonegunm4n

lonegunm4n Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    FWIW I went the SD route with my 99 WR400, then transferred it to a FL title / tag. To make a long story short, I bought the bike new from the local Yami dealer in 1999. Financed it for 12 months. Paid it off, life got in the way, didn’t realize I never got a “pay off” notice, or MSO. FL didn’t title vehicles that weren’t street legal until 2001, after that dirt bikes and quads got a title but it was stamped “off highway only.”

I fussed around for several years trying to get the finance people to help me. Finance company was bought by another, the new one went bankrupt. I ended up with a bastard motorcycle that I had no real proof of ownership. I did have the original BOS but it showed I was financing the bike.

But SD has a mechanism where you can apply for a tag without a title, you have to explain why there is no title and sign an affidavit. Then do the other requirements like dual spot kit, VIN notarization, etc. I ended up with a SD tag / title with my FL address. This year I took the SD title into the FL DMV and got a FL tag / title - easy peesy. I lucked out because my bike was so old and had never been put into the DMV database. This wouldn’t work if the VIN had already been blacklisted with any states DMV.

I know the OP is about Vermont, I looked at the VT deal before I did the SD route. So I posted this in case anyone was interested

464786C5-676F-4B37-872A-B305A20B6FF3.jpeg F9EAEC17-9675-448A-9E55-39B2B0EEAA76.jpeg
    Jarlaxle likes this.