Vern Worldbeater Panniers

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by tsiklonaut, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Could not find weights listed on web site...also what brand are those tires?

They look VERY well made...but I am slowly learning, off road more is not always better..

Thanks..
  2. tsiklonaut

tsiklonaut the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer:
    Not weighted them, but they're light per their capacity. Will let you know if I get a chance to weight them.

Tires are Heidenau K60. After I've spread the word they've become so popular that Heidenau has decided to make 150 & 110 sizes from them (correct size for the GS) :clap Still not available in US tho, but probably will be if someone wants to get rich by creating their dealer network there :D

They are around 1.5-2X cheaper than TKC80, similar purpose and last longer than TKC80.
  3. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Mine arrived yesterday. I'll start on the job to attach them tomorrow.
    The attention that has gone into packing and shipping is just stunning. Notice how the parts are
    held togther with strips, with cardboard placed in between to avoid any cratches! And this part was
    placed inside a pannier, inside the box. Still the padding and attention. It must have
    take a day's work just to wrap it all up :clap

I have 11 inch panniers with 6 cm lid, and the left one is 4.97 kg.

I really look forward to attaching them to Bamsefar.
    [TaSK]
  4. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    OEM BMW box at 14 pounds these at 10.97 pounds or 3 pounds each lighter. Now the weight of that flat stock luggage rack might weigh a lot more than tubular BMW rack.

Damn those Heidenau K60 tires look good! Of course we can't get them...
  5. funhouse

funhouse Overdue

Oddometer:
    Ask Vern when next you see him if he'd like to make a windshield for the HP2!! Bruce
  6. tsiklonaut

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you'll love yours!

I have the 11 inch ones as well. Alu is light indeed. The frames aren't "full circle" like Touratech's and many others have, thus saving weight considerably w/o sacrificing their strenght:

[​IMG]
    Here're Vernatech frames on my bike (goes well with the exhaust extension pipe too).

TaSK if you get a chance maybe weight the frames too before you mont them on - would be interesting to know the weight of those frames :lurk
  7. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Ooops - sorry, saw this too late. Their installed by now.

But what about the heat shield? Will I need it with stock exhaust?

[TaSK]
  8. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    Waiting for the install thread :lurk :thumb

If I break my jesse's these are next :D
  9. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    Those are a nice looking set of panniers!
  10. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I've placed a 30 liters water tank inside the right pannier. The lid doesn't close, but that is because the handle on the tank.
    There is a lot of space around the tank.

[TaSK]
  11. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The real question is what tires are on that GS? Where do I buy em?

The boxes look nice, well built and thought out. I have been running Jesses since 2005 35,000 miles. If these where out when i bought maybe I would have gone this route. Oh well but those tires Im all ears.:ear
  12. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Sorry Im a looser:lol3 ....found em thanks!
  13. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    Sure...no welds, but that 90° bend is quite a tight radius on material that thick. :nono
  14. tsiklonaut

Oddometer:
    Noupe. Just takes a smart man to do it properly and it's much better long-term solution than any weld done on the same material IMHO. :deal

You first should see those frames in real life. You need at least half a ton of TNT to rip them apart :lol3

In fact I'm 3rd month on my RTW expedition currently in South-America, I've had 3 rear shock rebulds already (and yes, Wilbers suspension suck big time too!), but it proves how bad hits and abuse the fully loaded bike has taken (we mostly do not like main roads). Most of our electronics has broken down (video camera, laptop) but Vern boxes are one of the few things (exept dents and scratches from various crashes) that still are mint - the most crashable panniers I've ever seen. Period.

Brazil jungle:
    [​IMG]
  15. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    Maybe, but there are published guidelines as to what you can and cannot do. And what is super strong can fail by simply putting a scratch in the surface of it....having worked with aircraft. Just subject it to enough vibrations.

Someone at work once suggested and offered the materials to make my own pannier mounts...out of stainless steel. No thanks! I want a material I can weld in the middle of nowhere...not stainless or aluminium, but mild steel tubing.
  16. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:

Alex, et al, Hi!

The comment above intrigues me. If one could help me understand why it's a no no to bend this material that is this thick at a 90 degree angle I would truly appreciate it.

Here is what I understand so far. The comment implies that the 90 degree bend in the material used is a bad thing to do, which could result in failure of the mount. Certainly with some materials that is very true. If the frame were made of 6061-T6 or 7075-T6 aluminum, which is very strong and brittle, perhaps the 90 degree bend at approximately 3 to 4 mm radius would be at high risk of failure.

However, in this case the frame is made from 316 stainless steel, which is considered good for cold work bends. Just to clarify a bit I'll attach snippets of information and links.

To me, and please understand I'm not trying to be a know it all, it appears that the manufacturer of these panniers has done his homework regarding which materials and fabrication methods work the best to create a functional and long lasting product.

Now I also admit that I not an expert, so I do say thank you to anyone who can please guide me to understanding whatever it is that I'm missing.

Does any of what I've said make sense?

Enjoy,

Liz

17. tsiklonaut

Oddometer:
    You've already answered the question for me - thanks Liz!

It does.
  18. Global Rider

Oddometer:
    Sorry, it looked like aluminium in the pics.

I've used 304 to make my custom GiVi topcase mount. Nice to work with.

I would still choose a material that I can repair in the middle of nowhere, should I need to.
  19. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:
    Alex, Hi!

I wondered if that's what you thought. It would make sense for some of the aluminum's to not bend them at such a tight radius. I do think the stainless at that thickness makes the mounts extremely strong for long term use.

Do you have a photo of the Givi top case mount? I've contemplated finding different options for my Givi than the just the stock mounts.

I agree with you about the side of the road repair ability of a steel pannier frame. There is one set of frames that I think would be wonderful. I'll find a photo and link to it. You've probably seen it before but let me look.

I'll be right back.

Liz
  20. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:

Overland Solutions Link

I found it!

It's Overland Solutions. They make a very practical, strong, functioning rack for their panniers. It's made of steel angle iron that could be easily repaired on the road. Heck you could use an old bed frame to fix it if you had to.

This isn't to diminish Vern's work, or any other pannier maker for that matter. I think they are all great, each in their own way.

What do you all think?

Liz

[​IMG]

[​IMG]