Versys 300x adventure build

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by michaelkozera, Dec 27, 2017.

1. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    priorities, priorities, priorities......

what does she want in a motorbike?

from my first post in this thread:

my wifey is ~5ft tall and weighs 105lb's with a 27" inseam.
    we will be building this bike with 4 primary objectives in-mind:

1-first, bike has to be as light as physically possible <-----this is by far the single most important objective and as you will see we will be aiming for a wet weight of 350-360lb's and going to great lengths to achieve this.

2- the bike has to be as comfortable on the highway as possible.

3-she requested that she must be able to flat foot at least one foot, or almost flat foot both feet.

4-lastly the bike must be able to preform off-road.

- secondary objectives: good gas mileage, long service intervals, enough luggage capacity for multiday camping or multi week rides, and enough lights to be seen from space haha

^^^ everything mentioned above the versys 300 does.

can you get a lighter bike? sure, yamaha xt250
    can you get a more comfortable highway bike, absolutely, cb500x
    can you get a bike that she can flat foot from factory, sure, rebel 300
    can you get a bike that preforms amazing off road, sure wr250r

but only the versys 300 does all 4 of these things.

and +1 about the fact that she need to pick it out, SHE has to feel comfortable on the bike above all else.
  2. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    THIS

It gets a bit weird sometimes on forums with people asking questions like "what bike should I put my wife on?" as if the wife/girlfriend/whatever is incapable of making decisions for themselves.
    I can't facepalm any harder than I do when I see shit like that.
    michaelkozera and Ken in Regina like this.
  3. Geschift

Geschift Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just wanna say that I simply LOVE your (wifes) bike.
    You’ve done a MORE than brilliant job in perfecting it to her needs.
    She’s lucky to have a guy like you.
    Don’t EVER sell it, but ride it forever!
    Have fun together, and ride safe.
  4. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    got the shinko 705 installed. one size bigger then stock . 140 instead of 130., same with front 110 instead of the stock 100.

speedo now reads within 2% (was over reading by 5% stock)

[​IMG]

very meaty tire
    [​IMG]

View attachment 1687244
    RedEX likes this.
  5. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's the same experience Bullwinkle and I had, except we were within 1% accuracy on the speedo from closer to 10% fast. And on the other hand we went exactly the opposite way on the odometer.

I have just over 10,000km on mine and just ordered a replacement for the rear. Front still has lots of tread left.

I hope you are as happy with them as we are.

...ken...
  6. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:

I love the 705s. They are perfect for adventure/dual sports that do alot of highway miles yet still need their tires to hook up in the dirt. But u dont wanna spend the $$$$ for a k60 scout.

Had 2 sets on my crf500l already. Love em. Perfect for 80/20. I got 40,000km out of the front. And about 25,000 in the rear.

And for people that want true 50/50. Shinko 244. Hands down best dual sport tire. Both for preformance and for longevity/cost.
    Bullwinkle likes this.
  7. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's hard to believe you can get that much tire for that little money.

...ken...
    Bullwinkle likes this.
  8. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    like dont get me wrong, the 705 is a hard tire. it does grip, but compared to some other tires out there , the 705 and even the 244 feel like hockey pucks lol.

however, here is my reasoning.

id rather have a hard tire with 1/2 thread left, then a grippy tire with 1/10 tread left.
    Bullwinkle likes this.
  9. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    I can grind the pegs on both sides any time I want, with complete confidence. Anything more grippy might be good for braggin' rights but I'm not sure what they would do for me. And grinding pegs still leaves a chicken strip so there's still room to go even if the bike would go over that far.

Plus, as you said, I get the benefit of the good life. :-)

...ken...
  10. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Following this from a link from another thread.

Amazing upgrade, and tremendous courage in digging into a brand-new machine.

Particularly, I like your home-brew headlight, and your rebuilding the seat.

And, Shinko 705s...somehow I missed those when shopping for tires. Next time...more tread, and bypasses a sprocket upgrade...

Question: What's that dry-bag you have strapped on, in a trial fitment? That's another I missed, going over the thousands of options, most of them no good...

Fitting a military duffle on the pillion seat is seldom a good plan.
  12. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    end of the day ,she wanted something that fit her like a glove. there is nothing worse then a bike that you cant fit on. and at 5ft tall her options are very.....limited.

705's, one of the best tires (tires per cost) you can buy. there are better tires out there, but for the $$$$ you cant beat them. great gravel/ mud performance while still still being well mannered on the road as most road biased tires stink in the mud/gravel. and they wear like iron. probably their single best attribute.

the only tire that beats the 705's is the shinkko 244. but thats more of a 40/60, while the 705s are more of a 60/40.

that red bag is the tent. and that was just a test.

when we travel i load up most things on the ATAS.
  13. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I watched this thread in real time, and just skimmed now again since I bought this bike, but biggest weight savings from slip-on can and lithium battery, right? Didn't see if you had removed the exhaust-air canister, forgot it's real name? Thanks for documenting, I'll reread later.
  14. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    Single biggest weight saving on any bike is a lithium battery.

Easy 5-10lb saving depending on size and bike.

And its up high weight so it makes a huge difference in preformance.

And as a plus. They last 10+years. Vs lead acid is like 2......

To this day im still using a feather weight lithium batt that ive had for 9 years. And i ride with it in the cold -20c all the time too. Impressive stuff.
    16VGTIDave, RedEX and Bt10 like this.
  15. Krispyk

Krispyk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, Dave here. Just a few pics of my build in progress getting my '18 ready for hitting trails in the Spring. Bike was stock when I picked it up used with 600 miles on it last October. I've added the tank protector and grips, t-rex engine guards, t-rex exhaust slider, Shinko 804/805 tires, a led light to the front on the guard, a tool box for a tail box (not sure if I will keep that or not), I've added a cheap camera lens bag in front of the box on the seat that will hold 2 or 3 bottles of water. I am going to get a t-rex skid plate and Barkbuster handguards to round out the protection aspect.

I'm in Pennsylvania and am looking forward to the snow melting and hitting the road/trails. In the 3 1/2 weeks I had to ride before the snow fell I already put on 1500 miles. 20200125_143913.jpg 20200125_143407.jpg 20200125_143039.jpg
    michaelkozera likes this.
  16. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    BrownEyedSuzanne loves her's!

Shinko Knobbies.... some boxes.... fat bar and Rox Risers..... Givi Wind Screen.... Bark Busters..... Heated Grips..... Power Point..... Wolfman Tank Bag.... Engine Guards..... Center Stand....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    RedEX, michaelkozera and Krispyk like this.
  17. Krispyk

Krispyk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Barkbusters installed and also a pair of adjustable levers. Waiting for the T-Rex skidplate to come back in stock to get it ordered. 20200204_174901.jpg 20200204_175020.jpg 20200204_175048.jpg 20200205_144443.jpg
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  18. Krispyk

Krispyk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would like to make the words Barkbuster on the plastic guard red. Anyone have good results on the best way to go about it? Paint? Decal? Other idea? Thanks
  19. Krispyk

Krispyk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I decided to give paint a try and see how it holds up. It says it bonds with plastic so I sanded the surface just enough to get the shiny smoothness off.

Attached Files:

IRockJAG and Geschift like this.