Versys 300x adventure build

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by michaelkozera, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yamaha uses a oil cooler in line with the filter on some models, perhaps something like that would work.
    [​IMG]
    michaelkozera, NJ-Bill and ben2go like this.
  2. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    I
    Great idea. Any suggestion where to look for one, and if those could be fitted here?
    The CBR600RR uses an oil to-water intercooler which I was eyeing to use, but that solution could not be adapted to a generic solution.
  3. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like there are a couple different ones that Yamaha used over the years, eBay or other used bike parts places would be the cheapest. There is a threaded assembly that goes through the center of the oil cooler and threads into the engine block then the oil filter threads onto that part. In Canada from Yamaha the parts new would be around $300.
  4. AntónioPereira

AntónioPereira Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another great thread Michael! Keep up the good work ;)
    michaelkozera likes this.
  5. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Thx. Will give it a try.
  6. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If cooling the oil is as important as it appears, does it make any more sense to reduce the capacity than to remove the ribs?

...ken...
  7. 79thunder

79thunder Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Nope..

But he asked for suggestions!

Like I stated, the bike will be fine the way it is. Move the exhaust, build a skid plate.

I believe on his bike build he reduced the oil capacity by 30% and then proceeded to put 100 000kms on it.
    However, it was his bike and there seemed to be no compromises for ground clearance on that build.
    I think the Versys would do just as well. Maybe change the oil more frequently.

The focus of this build seems to be weight reduction, height reduction, and rider ergonomics without sacrificing to much offroad or overall performance.

I'd be willing to bet that Mike has already decided what to do...I think this is more of a fun, safe, reliable, affordable, comfortable build.

That being said, only he can tell us that.
  8. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:

that line pretty much sums it up.

my wifes bike and she wants everything you mentioned.

reliability is a huge thing for her as last thing we need is burnt cams, or scored cylinder walls on a 6,000km trip.
    quint7 likes this.
  9. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you don't like adventure?

:hide
  10. totensiebush

totensiebush re-tarded

Oddometer:
    If you do chop the oil pan, I suspect someone with a mill could fin a plate without too much work. Start with a thicker aluminum plate the right size, use an end mill to cut a groove every so often and you end up with something reasonably similar to the stock sump bottom.
    michaelkozera and Te Hopo like this.
  11. 2002maniac

2002maniac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or buy heat sink extrusion and weld it into the bottom of the pan...
  12. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't that decrease ground clearance and defeat the purpose of cutting the pan in the first place?
    Lesharoturbo likes this.
  13. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The volume area of the oil pan is smaller than the mating area. It may be that you can make a thinner, but wider pan that holds the same amount of oil and add machined cooling channels as noted above. Gain ground clearance, but do not lose oil capacity.

What goes under that sloped section? The exhaust?
  14. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    the front slope or the side slope?
  15. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Side slope. It looks like the exhaust pipe sits there.
  16. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes. The slope is for the exhaust.
  17. HeadinSouth

HeadinSouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know some people would say you are going way over the top, but i friggin love it! Nice work!

Couple of questions:
    Why not go with saving weight with an LED or HID bulb for the existing headlight and not run the aux lights on the engine guards?
    Do you plan to change the exhaust for the weight savings?
    What hand guards are those?

Thanks
  18. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    LED and HID pnp systems in a halogen reflector housings give absolutely shit light output. like yes, its brighter then stock halogen but the beam pattern is way off and you end up blinding everyone on the street , not to mention the foreground light you end up producing will actually reduce ur distance vision. extremely unsafe and any weight savings would quickly be null when you have to go to the hospital because the car you just blinded crashed into you.......

retrofitted HID projectors are the only safe way of getting more light output, reduction in foreground light, better beam pattern, wider light output, and more light down range.

this pic here sums it up hilariously well.
    pnp-vs-retrofit-cutoff-output1.jpg

but yes you are right, a PNP system would be lighter. but the extra 2lb's of weight in the retrofitted hid projector will pay for itself the first deer my wife avoids crashing into at night.

we wanted to change out the exhaust for weight savings but as of right now i cant seem to find any versys x 300 exhausts that are not ricer fart-can sounding/ unnecessarily loud. there was one that a fellow member had on the versys 300 thread which wasn't too bad. guess we will have to wait and see as this is a new model after all. takes a few years for after market support to build up.

i will be weighing up the stock exhaust catalytic converter to see if its worth scrapping. but since the cbr500 cat was only 4lb's my guess would be the versys 300 is about 2lb's. so probably not worth removing as i breath air and i would prefer not shit-ing into what i breath.

those hand guards are acerbis rally 3's:

[​IMG]
    Bucho likes this.
  19. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are building your own high header, would you try a Leo Vince($$$) can or a GXSR can or similar?
  20. HeadinSouth

HeadinSouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

What did you paint the handguards with and how did you get the ‘Acerbis’ name off ‘em?