Versys 300x adventure build

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by michaelkozera, Dec 27, 2017.

1. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    they came blank.

i assume they might be fake, however i have both a "real set" and these and they look identical ( apart from missing the Acerbis name), the feel the same, they weigh the same, they even bend/ melt the same so its safe to assume they are infact the same ????:dunno
  2. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    got to work on the hand guards today:

installed a small wind deflector to add more comfort to her hands. the wind gets whisked under and away from ur fingers.

[​IMG]

checking to make sure it clears the fender.

[​IMG]

next , installed some adjustable levers.

[​IMG]

had to cut the balls off the end off to get them to fit ( handle bar width/size issue), couldn't get the space necessary to make em fit. lucky only had to trim the ball.

also put on some shrink wrap to help with holding cold lever in cold weather. And the shrink wrap provides more grip too.

[​IMG]
    Te Hopo likes this.
  3. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    next up is the exhaust:

in case anyone is wondering , the stock muffler weighs 3830g (8.4lb). so easily can save 4-5lbs with an after market pipe.

however, we both enjoy quiet exhaust so we are keeping the stock one.

[​IMG]

the catalytic converter weighs in at: 737g (1.6lb)

and that is not even the whole story, because if you remove the cat you still need the pipe, thus the cat only weighs less then 100g.....

so looks like we are keeping the cat too.

[​IMG]

flipped the water temp sensor and re-enforced the wire to allow it not to touch the engine using shrink wrap.

[​IMG]

next, re-positioning and tack welding the exhaust:
    [​IMG]

making sure the exhaust does not hit her foot, which it doesn't.

clears the brake lever too.

[​IMG]

looking good. not finished but tacked up , ready for final welding.

[​IMG]

plenty of ground clearance now and since i used less piping then stock exhaust , it did save some weight too. my guess is about 1-2lb's

u may also notice that i moved the exhaust header back towards the engine, this is to make room for the skid plate to come. so the skid plate clears the front wheel.

kept the O2 sensor too.

still have to make a heat shield for the exhaust to protect the water sensor, and wrap the exhaust where her foot will be as to not burn/melt it.
  4. Rebel13

Rebel13 The One & Only

Oddometer:
    Worrying about a 300's weight, really? You can do far more by going on a diet or by loosing weight in general!

I also noticed you didn't add the weight to the bike that wasn't originally there, ex: hand guards, fork protectors etc. kind of redundant in the whole weight plan don't you think?

With a small, light, low cost bike in general becoming a concern, it is well past time to upsize on the bike!
  5. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    I always get cranked by arrogancy of these type of comments. Have you by any chance checked the beginning of the topic? In case you would have missed it i'd like to reinforce. Michael builds this bike for her wife, who I would call by all means petite.
    So first of all - no weight loss option there.
    Second. While cumulative weight (read bike & rider) is important in cases when one wants to change the whole system's kinetic energy (e.g. straight line acceleration, or elevation change) - in trail riding what matters is Bike weight vs. Rider weight. The bike is a dead lump, while the rider is an active element. The heavier it is relative to the rider, the more difficult it becomes to manouver it over terrain for a given weight individual. Hope you get the point.
    Gert A, Bt10, Janus9 and 11 others like this.
  6. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you bothered to read the first post of this thread where it clearly states this build is for my wife, which weighs in at 105lb wet as a noodle......... she can loose maybe 2lbs as shes very skiny, and with a 27" inseam and 5ft tall, yeah.......

as for the bike, 385lbs for YOU may be light but for a 105lb person 385lbs is like YOU riding a 600lb+ bike.

again, if you read the thread then you would have seen that i do measure the weight of items im putting on, like hand guards, and crash bars........

infact, at the end of the first post (which i will be updating as i go along) i put #17, final weigh in. <------this means i will be weighing the bike once everything is done in the next month or so to get a final wet weight, which im guessing will be around 360-370lb's.

exactly.

rider weight vs bike weight.

600lb bike for me (175lb) is roughly the same as 385lb bike for her (105lb).
    Gert A likes this.
  7. Rebel13

Rebel13 The One & Only

Oddometer:
    I did read the first post. If you have to strip an already light bike just to ride it, then maybe motorcycling isn't for you. Even with her weight, she can easily handle that light bike out of the crate! I don't think this even has to do with her. Maybe you yourself doesn't have confidence in her abilities? A natural reaction for most women is to claim that a bike is heavy, they don't typical move that kind of weight around, but guess what, the same goes for men.

Comparing rider weight vs. bike weight is a joke, all the weights remain the same! I believe you are trying to justify ones strength by their weight, one really has nothing to do with the other. Everyone has different strengths.
  8. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    NO - rebel doesn't get the point. Rebel - It's interesting that you know Michael's wife better than he does (or she does even). What arrogance.
    rrrnnn likes this.
  9. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    Jetpilot mk2...
  10. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I feel the thread is being trolled. I hate to put a new member on ignore, but I have.
    Te Hopo and quint7 like this.
  11. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:

So whats next , u gonna tell her that 32" seat height is a very low seat and there is no reason for me to lower a bike if she has a 27" inseam? i lowered the seat/bike to 27.5" for a reason.

I think u have completely missed the point of this build my friend.
  12. 79thunder

79thunder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No kidding!! Me too!
    ben2go likes this.
  13. HeadinSouth

HeadinSouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again.
    I have used the same Acerbis handguards in the past and always disliked that you couldn’t get them in plain black. Where did you find them in black with no name?

PS. Thanks for the info on the exhaust weight. I was wondering if the cat was super heavy
  14. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Like i said, the cat may weigh 700g but that counts the pipe weight too. So if u only weigh the cat itself we are talking like less then 100g.

As for the hand guards, i bought them off eBay.
  15. Rebel13

Rebel13 The One & Only

Oddometer:
    Even if you where to shave 30lbs, it would make nearly no difference! She can handle the bike, they don't get much smaller, fully street legal and capable!

It is not trolling when there is a legitimate argument. Ignoring a legitimate argument because you do not like the outcome is running to your safe space!
  16. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're talking theory - what might, or ought to, work. Maybe. Michael is doing the bike the way his wife wants. You can theorize all you want. Michael lives and rides with his wife.

I've been happily married for almost 47 years including a few years where my wife had her own bikes. Guess whose side I'm coming down on. :hmmmmm

...ken...
  17. 79thunder

79thunder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did somebody delete that a$$hole ???

Good!!!

That was absolute garbage.

Carry on Mike !!
    quint7 and KayDubbya like this.
  18. Rebel13

Rebel13 The One & Only

Oddometer:
    No, the minor weight reduction is theory. The woman is fully capable if fit and healthy. The bike is designed for smaller individuals in mind, that is what the small class is for.

Reducing minor weight in random places changes the dynamic of weight distribution throughout its use. It is not a simple noticeable weight change like a press lift.
  19. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    Calling people names and telling them how it is... from your high horse.
    First impressions are a bitch. Folks don't get anywhere on here talking shit.
    rrrnnn likes this.
  20. Atalanta89

Atalanta89 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Look, I'm not trying to be an blunt. But your initial comment into this thread was sexist. You can call it what you want, but to add in how woman throw out a punchline card is absurd and not needed. If his wife wants a lighter, easier to handle bike. Then that is her stance and he is being loving in helping her meet her goal. I for one understand this point thus why I'm not riding a bike 800cc or above at the moment. I've had multiple surgeries on my knee and one on my ankle. My Versys 650 is much easier to handle given the weight than the Harley I was riding before.

We can then argue over skill all day long. But at this point your just throwing malice around like candy. If you want to be inflexible and continue on that's on you. But don't fill this thread with nonsense.
    Gert A, rrrnnn and michaelkozera like this.