1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Versys Header Pipe Help

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by HighrevF, Aug 29, 2020.

1. HighrevF

HighrevF n00b

Oddometer:
    I was commuting back home the other day and noticed that my bike all of a sudden started getting louder. Checked my earplugs and they were both in secure, and then the bike got really loud. Pulled over to see what was going on and found a crack on one of the header pipes. A dealership was conveniently nearby, so I got an estimate for how much a replacement would be to do it myself. Turns out just the pipes themselves are $850, which personally seems just a little bit absurd. I have not had a whole lot of luck finding an aftermarket replacement, and while I wait to see if this falls under warranty I'm looking for options. The camera couldn't focus in properly, but the arrow is where the crack is. Has anyone else encountered something like this? Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would weld it to seal the crack.

It should be covered under warranty if it still applies. Dam, it's hard to believe the price on replacement parts on motorcycles. You might want to check Ebay, if all else fails.
    HighrevF likes this.
  3. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Ebay is a great source for a new or slightly used exhaust for a bike like the Versys. Lots of people put complete aftermarket exhausts on their bikes and finding one is likely at a way better price than new OEM. I know quite a few people with that model, but I've never heard of exhaust cracks like that. Anyone else know of a pattern like that?
  4. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    I think you have a Versys 300 , right ? Just get a Delkevic header or full system for $ 300 bucks :thumb

s-l640.jpg
  5. HighrevF

HighrevF n00b

Oddometer:
    Welding was an option that a friend gave me, so I think that will be my first choice if it can't be warrantied since it's cheaper. That's correct, it's a Versys 300. I'm a little concerned with how it will mate up with the skid plate, but it looks like that Delkevic one should work and it's way cheaper, thanks @mminob . I'm not the original buyer and it's a 2017, but it only had 300 miles on it so I'm just playing the waiting game. Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to prevent this from happening again or just reduce the risk?
  6. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    remove the header, take it to a welding shop for a TIG weld repair...maybe $50, maybe less.