Versys on dirt roads

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by maxrates, Jan 16, 2008.

1. maxrates

maxrates Stromtrooper

Oddometer:
    Anyone riding their Versys on dirt or gravel roads? How does it do ?

thanks
    Doug
  2. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    I'm not the most qualified person to give an opinion since I have not spend much time off-road (ice doesn't like Vs, therefore I don't like ice ). I was a bit weary with stock tires, but on packed trails and decent gravel roads was just fine, although when these tires will wear out I'll switch to something more suitable. Didn't ride a heavy dual-sport before on dirt so I can't compare the Vs. Since I didn't have any crash bars at the time, I didn't push it either. Check Versys sites, numerous people actually bought this bike for commuting on gravel roads.
  3. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I test rode mine on the gravel before I bought it and i was pretty impressed with how well it did in the gravel. I crossed over deep gravel lines and it seemed not scary. but if it was 2 inched deep and you started a slide you would be in real trouble. it felt almost as stable as my klr but that aint saying much. you can feel that the front wheel is small becasue it wants to push more in gravel...IMHO
  4. hunting1

hunting1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep! I need to change the stock tires out to Avon's, but does ok.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. maxrates

maxrates Stromtrooper

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response. The case looks good.

...........I wonder where that road leads.?...............:clap
  6. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I've had mine of some gravel roads (gravel roads in the NW are a little different than those Hunting1 has in his NM pics, the gravel is usually smaller sized and deeper to allow better draining of rain water). You have to remember that the stock tires aren't really good in those conditions. It's way to easy to lock up the brakes in the gravel. So while you may be able to pick up some speed (and teh bike felt pretty good to me at speeds I shouldn't have been going :ricky ), you have to be really careful about approaching potential obstacles, as your ability to swerve and/or brake is very limited.

My plan is similar to Hunting1's, I see a pair of Avon Distanzias in my bike's future.

[​IMG]

I've lived in Abuquerque. That road probably leads from nowhere to nowhere, making it a perfect riding road... :thumb

Gustavo
  7. hunting1

Oddometer:
    I rode for a long ways and was getting nervous without my GPS, so ya it was a great ride! Be careful down shifting as well on those roads, the rear will slide!:super
  8. william t.

william t. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride some on the USFS roads but nothing really rough. The Versys has the goods for off roading if you want to put some different tires on it.
  9. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
  10. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I changed my mind. It's not that good on dirt roads.

At least not when they are covered in snow...
    [​IMG]

:lol3

Gustavo
  11. william t.

william t. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had mine on several USFS in north Ga. and it does fine. Using the Scorpion Syncs and they work pretty good. If you wanted more traction but still wanted to haulass on the street you good use the Distanzias. I have mine set up for aggresive street riding so it is harsh on rough roads. I just could not have a better bike for the way I ride. :D
  12. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    I put 220STs on mine and did some dirt the other day. Now we were riding dirt roads and going 50 mph, so we're not talking about anything rough. It seems to handle just fine. It was a little squirrelly in the gravel, but then so is my XR 650.

On the pavement, the 220STs are the shizzle. We'll see how long they last. The OEM 221s didn't make it 2500 miles. Boooooo.
  13. wheelsucker

wheelsucker Former Virgin

Oddometer:
    I just gotta say, this is a freakin' awesome picture. Nothing but open empty dirt road with the mountains in the distance. F'in lucky to have roads like that, I'll be back west one of these days.
  14. hunting1

Oddometer:
    And this is why I will never leave the west! Come on out and we'll ride!:thumb
  15. hunting1

Oddometer:
    How is this for dirty?
    [​IMG]
    Dirty and wet?
    [​IMG]