Versys owners checkin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by pilot, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Atalanta89

Atalanta89 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably because I did a water crossing and either water or debris got into it. But a simple fix regardless.
  2. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    After 54k miles, my 09 is overheating and boiling over. Fan works, radiator flushed, thinking thermostat stuck. Hard to get to those bolts. Suggestions?
  3. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Also check the cap that it holds the right pressure. Several people had issues that were traced back to a faulty cap.

Gustavo
    9Realms likes this.
  4. Ibraz

Ibraz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    + 1 for faulty cap!

Today's discovery... 90% of people who ride "crotch rockets" (supersports, superdukes, 1000cc+ roadsters) apparently can't keep up with a well ridden V650 on the twisties...
  5. Atalanta89

Oddometer:
    It’s crazy right?! People tend to forget that a well balanced rider who is in tune with their motorcycle triumphs over most technological advancements in today’s machines. I know in the military it’s mandatory for sport bike riders to go through Advance Riders Course. Most can’t ride to the full potential of the motorcyle and when they do, if not trained and aware. It gets literally out from underneath them. No ones perfect but still, training is key.
  6. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I haven’t met anything I can’t keep up with in the twisty’s on the Versys yet. Followed a pair of quick Multistrada rider’s in the black hills going at edge of kill yourself speeds and other than not being able to power wheelie out of corners the V650 never had an issue keeping up. I’m sure I was using a lot more of the engine doing so however and definitely would have liked to have some nice brembo’s to slow down better.

Theres a reason Ari Henning bought one, Zack Courts said he’d pick it over the Tracer 900GT, and is a huge fan. I can think of 3 other testers who have owned/owned them as well. For the money it’s tough to outperform with a good rider.

Remember the Versys has nearly the same geometry and wheelbase as those super sports, it just doesn’t have the aerodynamics or the better components and horsepower. Aerodynamics don’t matter at street speeds on twisty roads and the brakes are pretty ok on the Versys. Horsepower is pretty useless on twisty’s as well.

Bonus in that the tires are cheaper, the chains are cheaper, it runs 87 octane, has great luggage and you can ride it forever between fuel ups.
    Atalanta89 and 9Realms like this.
  7. Gibster

Gibster high desert roamer

Oddometer:
    +1 for the twisties. I'm faster in the twisties on the Versys than I was on a 750 Monster. And I'm almost 20 years older. Here's a pic while on a 20 mile fix. IMG-1129.JPG
    rhicks, MoneySlide and Atalanta89 like this.
  8. Deltron

Deltron Of the Golden Flower

Oddometer:
    Went to the ride the tail of the dragon and some other amazing roads out in Tennessee and North Carolina. The versys did great on everything.

Attached Files:

16VGTIDave, Atalanta89 and MoneySlide like this.
  9. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I’m surprised more people haven’t discovered how good the Versys is. They’re so cheap used that it would also make a killer second bike for the cruiser guys or big ADV guys for twisty road running. It’s the comfortable sport bike with just the right amount of power to maintain good fuel economy and range.
    16VGTIDave and Atalanta89 like this.
  10. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I built a V649 Clone and have it for sale here on advrider. It does everything great and the engine is really sweet, has cool character about it. I love the bike but due to moving to a smaller house I am trying to get down to one bike.

I know I will regret selling it as soon as it leaves. But here is the dumb thing about it, I have it for trade also, what happened to the space thing?

Look at it in the flea market and tell me what you think. Should I just keep it or move on even if I trade it for another bike.

Thanks
    Atalanta89 likes this.
  11. Atalanta89

Oddometer:
    New rear Galfer Ceramic Sintered brake pads and a Krono Brake Pedal extension retrofitted from a KLR 650 to the Versys 650.

Attached Files:

16VGTIDave likes this.
  12. Atalanta89

Oddometer:
    Not going to lie, if I wasn’t getting shipped off to Korea I’d be very inclined to pick this up. It’s very clean, especially for the price. When I get back I plan on upgrading my rims, forks etc to finish mine off. I did however share it on the Kawasaki Versys Club FB page.
    Ridin'nFishin likes this.
  13. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    should have put a folding end on there, better result, same effort.
    Ridin'nFishin likes this.
  14. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is one thing that I have not done yet to mine.
  15. Atalanta89

Oddometer:
    Appreciate that, I’ll keep that in mind the next go around.
  16. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    860BC6B3-2709-45E2-AB1E-088C88FC32B8.jpeg A05482F1-1127-4B32-AA55-2C2E0223C82D.jpeg 92548420-7E2F-4ECE-A152-BC7EBE1756BD.jpeg Versys in it’s element on some tight switchbacks out in the Alabama hills, that is before noon, it’s hot as hell in the afternoon here.
    Atalanta89, 16VGTIDave and MoneySlide like this.
  17. Atalanta89

Oddometer:
    Had a great time deep sea fishing today with a veterans group I volunteer with. The seas were super choppy but what an awesome first experience.

Attached Files:

Deltron likes this.
  18. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Man I would love to partake in some deep sea fishing, I grew up six miles off the coast of Maine, my family is commercial fisherman and I really miss the ocean. I’m a veteran myself (6 deployments to middle east). Glad your taking those guys out and enjoying the time we have!
    Atalanta89 likes this.
  19. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any reviews on the seat concept standard seat out there? I ordered mine on the 7th.
  20. Atalanta89

Oddometer:
    There were two volunteers, myself included and two veterans. I got asked if I wanted to attend as there were slots available and jumped at it. Some of us had lunch by the pier afterwords and just appreciated the opportunity. I can’t take credit as I was more a bystander on this outing.