Versys owners checkin

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by pilot, Oct 17, 2007.

1. dadsafrantic

dadsafrantic Chef?

Oddometer:
    I always use American moto tire. Always the cheapest because they only do tires.
  2. dadsafrantic

dadsafrantic Chef?

Oddometer:
    Use a blow dryer. It works well.
  3. dadsafrantic

dadsafrantic Chef?

Oddometer:
    I like the lights mounted up there. What is the mount?
  4. dadsafrantic

dadsafrantic Chef?

Oddometer:
    New guy here. Putting my Caponord and mana in the barn for some serious tlc. Probably sell the mana and finally finish farkling the Caponord after 86,000 miles.
    Motogasoline likes this.
  5. Atalanta89

Atalanta89 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s a PIAA lower fork mount for the Versys 650. I just mounted it up, made some spacers to fit in. Works well.
    dadsafrantic likes this.
  6. mminob

mminob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes the Seat Concepts seat is a nice upgrade... on any bike ! It will seem kinda firm for some time , however this seems to help on long rides when mile munching... And when off-road , you can slide up to the tank for better bike control... I like their Carbon top material for my street bikes, and their Gripper top for my dirt bikes... I always just buy their seat kit and bring it to a auto upolstery shop for install :D

1558894173088.jpg

1559849657973.jpg
    Atalanta89, Motogasoline and Deltron like this.
  7. Atalanta89

Oddometer:
    I love the Gripper top for my Seat Concepts seat on my Versys. Well worth the money and at a fraction of what others cost.
  8. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed my new seat concepts seat today. Wow. Hands down the best investment for this bike. Its about an inch taller and gives me so much flat space to sit. It took maybe 30 minutes to put it together. Ive done several seats so I had an idea how to get it right the first time. I just used a standard stapler. It took about 19 days to get it is the only downside. Enjoy! 20190826_154235.jpg 20190826_150843.jpg 20190826_143658.jpg
    Atalanta89 likes this.
  9. Atalanta89

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the lead time is the only downside. I had them do everything to include installing the seat on the pan.
  10. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Rocky Mountain ATV is pretty good for tires too, there’s a few online sellers who do free shipping and very competitive prices. If you want similar to stock the Dunlop Roadsmart II is redesigned to be a budget tourer and performs about the same as the stock tires, looks the same too but it wears better. I’ve got one on the rear of mine right now, 92 dollars delivered and looking like a 6-8k mile tire so far ( I got 4200 on the stock rear). They’re about 150 a set.

Yeah anything that you can add heat, on top of something warm, heating duct, dryer doing clothes, sunny window in the sun. I have a home tire changer and they go on easy in the mid-summer when you’re sweating and in the winter you’re sweating after putting them on lol.
    dadsafrantic and mentolio like this.
  11. dadsafrantic

dadsafrantic Chef?

Oddometer:
    I have a set of those. I’ll give that a whirl.
  12. dadsafrantic

dadsafrantic Chef?

Oddometer:
    I have a set of that item. I’ll be doing that I think.
  13. dadsafrantic

dadsafrantic Chef?

Oddometer:
    I have seen on here that it is possible to use a pre 2015 versys/ninja/er6 header and put on a slip on of your choice. Would it have to be a gen2 or would a gen1 work?
  14. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    pre '12 Ninja, pre '15 Versys, all the two-piece exhaust systems...like this, from the V649 build thread back in 2017.

the early 2-piece exhaust had the flanges which are the backing for the copper gaskets under the header clamps, going to keep those, i can use 'em.

[​IMG]

the 2012+ one piece exhaust just has sleeves at the header connection, and i just happened to have a damaged set of the late model headers that i had saved for the stainless tubing, and i cut the sleeves off the ends. the sleeves get clearanced to a friction fit on the old headers, and i started to do this by hand. i still think it can be done if y'all have a very steady hand, but i chickened out at the halfway point and called in my consultant, thanks Charles, who stuck 'em in the lathe to clean them up. the sleeves do not show obvious welding, and Charles speculated that they were friction welded, could be, they're fused onto the header pipe through some process.

[​IMG]

the sleeves are slid onto the ends of the header, it doesn't need to be a press fit or welded connection since the sleeves are backed by the flanges and original header clamps.

[​IMG]

i originally thought that i might have to change the length of the header studs. but there's enough length on the OEM studs to get a full nut plus a turn or two. pretty simple solution, cheap too. the sleeves could be turned from scratch easily, you don't need to cut up a header to get them.

i didn't check every corner of the interweb thing, but i didn't see this done where i did look, everyone just bought the full system. maybe you saw it here first, don't know for sure.

the two-piece swap saves about 10# over the one-piece OEM system when using an after market can.
    Atalanta89 likes this.
  15. Atalanta89

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I went to Lowe’s for the hardware to make sure it fit snug. Also have the ability to still have my front windshield move up and down via spacers to mount the windshield. I got the idea originally from Versys riders in India and Malaysia. To include the Kawasaki Versys Club on FB. I’ve used this setup both on and Offroad with great success. And was super pleased how they were virtually untouched after laying it down on outings Offroad.

Attached Files:

16. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is the "slant" gone? How's the passenger seat for comfort?
  17. arkansas adv

arkansas adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed a Sargent on my Versys a few days ago. My wife said passenger comfort is night and day difference. The Sargent has a wider base for passenger as well as driver but it’s also much more expensive. Forward slant problem seems to be solved.... I will have to try motogasolines seat and compare as we’re headed to colorodo in a few weeks.... now if I could just find me a set of 19/17 spoked wheels I would be done with farkles.
    Atalanta89 and Motogasoline like this.
  18. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Completely gone. No idea about passenger seat. Im sure its an improvement.
  19. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    I recall reading and or hearing of some folks using the genuine Kawasaki cigarette/12 volt socket shown below for accessories on their first generation Versys 650.

I had actually ordered the part(s) for this and have it in possession for awhile.

I believe it was an intended kit for a Kawasaki Vulcan, but some had used it or modified it to mount on their first gen Versys, seemingly without drilling a big hole in the fairing, perhaps picking up on some existing bracket or fabricating something to go with it.

Anyone recall how that was accomplished, or better still, have some pics of how this Kawasaki part was installed on their first gen Versys ?

The specs on the part are

2015 - 2017 KAWASAKI VULCAN S 650 12V DC POWER OUTLET 99994-0541

(But it had been quoted as being used with success or limited modification to fit a first gen. Versys).

I have all my plastics off doing some other service, and thought this would be the proper time to install this thing. The aftermarket China sourced options have all eventually failed me.

Thanks.

12 volt socket.jpg
    Atalanta89 likes this.
  20. Atalanta89

Oddometer:
    @9Realms - Some have done the same with the Newest Gen Versys when it comes to the illuminated shift light indicator on the opposite side. The wires just need to be tucked because they are longer. Also much cheaper than a OEM Versys unit. Check out it out on YouTube.