Versys owners checkin

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by pilot, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I’ve had a twin USB w/voltmeter from amazon on mine for 18.5k miles through all kinds of rain now and no issues so far. Charges stuff very quickly with one port being q.c 3.0 and the other a standard 2a usb. I always found the 12v plugs to shake loose anything i plug in and constantly need to be pushed back in. With a large q.c capable battery bank in the tank bag you can soak up a full charge riding and them charge everything at night as well which is very convenient.

If you drill a punch out similar to the gen 3 versys you can install all kinda of addon’s if it has space. Since the 2017 and up has the shift position in the display I added USB/Voltmeter on the left and a temperature gauge on the right which is a blue sea OLED for marine applications, works great and very accurate.

509E6E79-DE3F-49FC-995E-88F3148645A6.jpeg
  2. dadsafrantic

dadsafrantic Chef?

Oddometer:
    What’s the temperature thingy on the right? Ambient or engine temp? I’d like to have both somehow.
  3. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    It’s Ambient Temp, waterproof gauge. I have the sensor mounted up front where the air flows into the fairing.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/1741/Mini_OLED_Temperature_Monitor_-_Yellow

They’re ammeter’s and voltmeters too if you want matching. Also in blue. These fit the standard punch out’s on the gen 3 versys.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/6/118/Meters/Mini_OLED_Digital_Monitor

The warning light will let me know if the coolant is overtemp so that’s covered by the standard bike gauge. I suppose you could have one ambient and one coolant since it’s rated to 250f. I’m not sure where you’d mount the sensor to get an accurate reading.
  4. dadsafrantic

dadsafrantic Chef?

Oddometer:
    cool thanks. something i like to have. my ride home can easily vary by 35 degrees in the summer over 40 miles.
  5. arkansas adv

arkansas adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here are a few seat pics. Green bike has Sargent and the black bike is seat concepts. Foam feels about the same but the Sargent defiantly has a wider passenger seat. The seat concepts sits you up about an inch higher than stock. Both way better than stock but first impressions are seat concepts is a much better value but Sargent is much quicker and better customer service. It was ordered weeks after seat concepts and arrived sooner. (A week from order date) May have to get my wife out for a couple rides to test passenger comfort.

313F7538-2F67-4504-82DB-DA5AD2425A75.jpeg 1E2711AA-1D79-4FC9-9440-8653B64FB136.jpeg FA34AABC-6192-4BE7-B41B-2C196D7DA52D.jpeg
  6. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Different seat foam, better seat angle and slightly wider seating area are all good but in the end it is a platform width that matches your seating area that provides long-term riding comfort. If an aftermarket seat re-do like Sargent or Seat Concepts works for you - fine. But if not, it's Russel Day-Long or Terry's Custom Seats for the win.
  7. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Always on the search for the ultimate setup indeed. In the end, it's probably not going to be a Kawalski. I'd like to try a Bonneville or Triumph Scrambler as the seat is longer and rather basic. Perhaps someday. I have logged 36,000 miles on a Versys, and my primary complaint is always the seating. It's that danged hump in it for the passenger that most of us never carry. It's too far forward for many, as it is for me.
  8. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    I guess this is part of my point - everyone can check their seating needs before they do any trial-and-error purchases. Just sit on a decent hardwood dining room chair and measure the contact area at the back (or even have someone photograph you from the rear sitting on your bike). There is a reason why Police Department motorcycle saddles the world over are designed the way they are and why much of the saddlery you see on the showroom floor isn't - they are designed for bike appearance and sales.
  9. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you cant get along with much at all. Lol.
    arkansas adv likes this.
  10. MoneySlide

MoneySlide Tall Teller of Tales

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the spencer seat
  11. Atalanta89

Atalanta89 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had an awesome time today, the gameland roads and fire roads turned into something very different once we ventured further. A riding buddy on a KLR 650 lead. Had an awesome time, though parts turned into pretty much single track, deep sand etc. Makes for a good morning ride.

Attached Files:

jwaller likes this.
  12. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I'm trying to fit it to a 2008/first gen. Versys.
    The first gen's were not "drilled" anywhere, no knock-out panels for cig. sockets.
    I know from oldy-time posts that some, back in the day, were using the socket I depicted, but I am not sure where or how they parked it, but I know they were not drilling any panels.

Maybe no one rides first gen's anymore :lol3
    Mine won't seem to die, I was just doing some wiring upgrades and had been meaning to upfit that socket someplace clever.
  13. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    no panel drill WP socket mount for the top of the 1st gen Versys bar mount. easy to fab in aluminum, simple spacers and longer M8s required. fab, paint, mount, might take an hour...if you're clever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    abramsgunner and Atalanta89 like this.
  14. abramsgunner

abramsgunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I'm still riding mine.. although I did upgrade it to the Finicky Italian Edition... also know as the Faux Six-Fiddy (or maybe the f649 in some sexy font) :D

Edit: I recently added a twin usb plug with voltage... just drilled the correct size hole in one of the black dash panels. Had to wire it to a keyed positive because it sucked the battery down in a few days hooked directly, but I'm good with that.

1122181525b_HDR.jpg
  15. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I still ride my '08, but I am old school. No electronic accessories other than a heat jacket harness connected straight to they battery... :dunno

Gustavo
  16. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, my 09 has started being touchy to start, acts like the tip over sensor has tripped. When I go to start it cranks, then fi light, then cranks , then fi light. If I turn off key, and switch back on it usually starts, though it has been doing it more often. Any ideas? 56k on the deer flipped versys, but all is good other wise. Recently replaced a stuck thermostat.
  17. AmbientMoto

AmbientMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Atalanta... that tan paint looks nice.
    Atalanta89 likes this.
  18. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Do you hear the fuel pump come on when you switch it on? Problems starting are often related to the switch, which corrodes and has issues making good contact, but then the lights won't come on or will go off when you hit the starter.

Gustavo
  19. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just went out and tried, heard pump both times I tried, and it started. Next time it fails will try and pay attention to pump noise.
    The week before I did have bad fuel, and had to run two tanks to clear it, thinking water in fuel. Felt like a clogged fuel filter and bogged down, and then would suddenly go. Could this be related?
  20. Deltron

Deltron Of the Golden Flower

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, I have a question. My bike has been running great and has experienced no heat problems in 90+ degrees here in Tennessee. I have read you should replace coolant every 3 years or 20 thousand miles. The bike has 12k miles right now and I’m not sure if the previous owner had changed the coolant. (I got the bike at 7k miles). My question is should I change the coolant even though it seems to be doing fine? Bike is a 2012