Versys owners checkin

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by pilot, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    It's possible that there is some debris in the tank that is partially clogging the pump inlet at times. Just in case, empty the tank and inspect it, clean the filter if it looks like there is any debris around. IIRC, the filter is built into the pump and not a replaceable part on it's own. That doesn't mean you couldn't replace it, just not with an OEM part.

Gustavo
  2. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    In the automotive world, you can do 2 tests to see if coolant really needs to be replaced; litmus test for acidity and specific gravity test (floating balls) to see if the mix would cool/not freeze properly. Given the small amount of coolant volume it comes down to how much aggravation it is to get to the radiator. If it is a pain, then it is just as easy to drain/refill as it is to test.
    Deltron likes this.
  3. MoneySlide

MoneySlide Tall Teller of Tales

Oddometer:
    Also in the automotive world the regular changes are 5years or 100k miles and I can’t see motorcycle coolant being that much different as in it probably all comes from the same factory and just put in different bottles
    Deltron likes this.
  4. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I decided to change my plugs before a big trip, and old ones looked fine. What kind of mileage are you getting out of these ngk cr9eia plugs? Mileage has gone down for me, wondering if that was it. BTW, if you go to do this, those clips that connect coil on plug are super brittle for us ogre hands, snapped one, and it fell in my plug hole. Took forever to fish out. Changed plugs at 56k, last time at 24k. So I know they last twice as long as they should, but have been averaging 40-45 mpg at mid 80s big guy. if you drive the speed limit are you getting 50s?
  5. REDHORSE

REDHORSE n00b

Oddometer:
    I contacted Warp 9 Racing to let them know that I was interested in Versys CNC spoke hubs for my two Gen3 Versys. I'd like to have a set of spoked wheels for my dual purpose tires. Especially a 19" front wheel.

I'll keep the stock wheels for road tires for commuting and canyon carving.

Kevin contacted me back via email and said they would like a set of stock wheels to look at. So does anyone have stock wheels to loan out to Warp 9 Racing. I believe they are based in Utah.

So, please if your interested in an option for spoked wheels for the Versys, please contact and let them know that your interested. To show them that there is an interest and demand for them to add a couple new Versys SKUs to the great lineup.

Click their web link Warp 9 Racing 'Contact&Info' page and let them know how much interest there is from the Versys community.
    StanBo and Atalanta89 like this.
  6. Atalanta89

Atalanta89 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Appreciate it.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    be nice to have a readily available spoke wheel option, but the fact remains that you can't out ride cast wheels on the Versys without major suspension modifications. even with a big suspension, it's tough to envision a place that this 450# bike could get to on spokes that it couldn't also get there with cast.
    arkansas adv and Gustavo like this.
  8. rlbowers03

rlbowers03 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a set of nice stock wheels sitting in my garage right now. I am heading down to Utah in a few weeks. I will contact them and see if we can link up.
  9. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    022.JPG FWIW I have the stock rims on my Versys. The rear has not been an issue, but the front has had to be beaten back in shape numerous times.

I'm not planning to pony up for new wheels, but upon purchase, if tubeless spokes were an option, I might of spent a little more for them.

I have never lost sight of what this bike was designed for. In spite of me misapplying it off road at times, it still spends a majority of it's miles rolling on maintained gravel and pavement.
  10. mminob

mminob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ouch , Jeff B , you might want to try slowing down and going around the rocks , :-) , also , do you just take a hammer to the dent in the rim to get it back in place ? Yikes. How is you skid plate looking ?

I hate big sharp edged rocks, at low tire pressures anyway ... The sound and jolt felt in the handlebars , makes me wince !

100_3199s.jpg
  11. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:

I have used a hammer and a piece of hardwood as a drift to pound out most of the dents. The rim is definitely out of round, but it does nothing to effect the ride. No shakes or shimmies whatsoever.

Because of potential work hardening, I keep an eye out for any cracks from the dings that have been beaten back. The last time the tire was off I used some Magnaflux. all was good.
    mminob likes this.
  12. REDHORSE

REDHORSE n00b

Oddometer:
    Is there much a difference between the different Gen1/Gen2/Gen3 Versys 650s of wheels, beside the paint colors?

That would be great if you contacted them. It'll show that there is interest in getting spoked wheels for Versys.

They would probably give you a great deal on spoked rims for loaning them a set of stock rims.
  13. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20190924_094952.jpg 20190925_134436.jpg 20190924_172622.jpg Have had a blast exploring Colorado on the Versys this week. Weve covered so many miles. Heck of a great state to explore!
  14. REDHORSE

REDHORSE n00b

Oddometer:
    I contacted Chris at Woody's Wheel Works, he is going to reach out to Warp 9 Racing to see if we can move this further forward. Only if there is enough interests in these spoked hub/wheel sets.

Chris at WWW said that only 19 people since 2016 have reached out to them to show interests in these spoked wheels for the Versys 650. WWW needs closer to 50 people to make it worth their time to CNC manufacture the spoked hubs themselves and to drive the price down.

If WWW can work with Warp 9 Racing to make these hubs for the community, then WWW can build wheels using Warp 9 hubs.

So, if any of you are truly interested, please let Chris @ Woody's Wheel Works and Kevin @ Warp 9 Racing know, so that we can get the ball moving forward.

Chris = info@woodyswheelworks.com
    Kevin = kevint@warp9racing.com
  15. rlbowers03

rlbowers03 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sent Warp9 an email. Got no reply. I have the wheels sitting here in the garage. I will be heading down to Utah on the 11th of October and can drop them off.
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    the interest in custom spokes from Woody or RAD tended to end with the price tag. Woody built the Versys set on RAD hubs, and with good components, super-lace, and sealed...the invoice was north of $2G. a beauty of a wheel set, and the Versys does benefit from a 19 front, but not many went that direction because of the cost.

there are quite a few Versys riders out there running their own shop built spokes in 17/19, and even more running 17/19 cast. not the plug and play option, but not very difficult to fit, and a fraction of the cost of Woody's. lots of options when you get serious about swapping wheels.
    16VGTIDave likes this.
  17. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    I think it's resourceful that you sourced your wheels from other bikes. Wonder if a set of tubeless spokers such as the likes of Super Ten or new Vstrom can be refitted to the Versys?
  18. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Don't know about the S10, but the V-Strom wheels use the same hub as the cast ones, so no problem. But I doubt you'll find the same deals @jdrocks is talking about on the spoke wheels.

Gustavo
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i haven't looked at the 1000XT Adventure wheelset, but given the Japanese preference to repeat dimensions and configurations, they may fit as Gustavo said. i did not care for the rear hub design on the Strom cast wheels, so i used the SV rear. the new multi spoke cast wheels for the Strom use different bearings than in the past, the spokes might also, so a little research is in order.

i have not looked at S10 wheels, but Aprilla tubeless spoke wheels have been fitted by several builders.

regarding cost, shop hard, be patient, you might be surprised by what you find for cheap money.
  20. arkansas adv

arkansas adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found a company that said they would build some spoked wheels if I sent them my wheels.... for 2k I will go another route or get a whole second bike.

My 17 wheel did just fine on everything I wanted to ride on a bike this size anyway. I wouldn’t have ridden anything rougher on any bike because I needed to ride it home. Wouldn’t want to take a chance on breaking.

Attached Files:

16VGTIDave and Motogasoline like this.