Versys owners checkin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by pilot, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Ibraz

Ibraz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just checking in to confirm that a gen 1 will hold a steady (indicated) 100 for 3 hours no problem.:D
    Mine is apparently also ugly and dirty enough to not be followed by roadside laser gun operators.

This followed a 3 hour ride in the twisties between 7k and 9k rpm that ended up getting the rear tire blueish on the sides and reading 118 at one point (with side bags).
    All of this takes place in mexico of course, so chose units accordingly. :-)
  2. arkansas adv

arkansas adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cognitio Moto quoted me $2200 for a set. I would have to send them my wheels for them to build the hubs. $2200 is a bit steep for me and I ride to much to be without my wheels long. If a group buy would make the cheaper I would re-consider as my front cast is slightly bent.
  3. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I doubt there’s much market for expensive larger wheels for the Versys 650. I know a few of you have modified the heck out of it for a decent dirt ADV and other’s just ride it where ever because you can but this bike truly is a sport tourer and was never meant to go off-road. I can’t image more than a handful of people want to take this on more than a very improved dirt road.

There are just so many better options for that, why not start there?

I really hope Kawasaki never nerf’s this thing with a 19’ front wheel like honda did with the CB500x.

The magic handling of the sport bike geometry and 17” wheels is what makes this bike worth owning, that and huge fuel range and good economy from the lower output 650.
  4. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i see on their home page that they already have a selection of billet hubs produced to satisfy demand from the cafe crowd for spokes, some may actually be fairly easy to adapt for Versys use. still an expensive set of wheels if purchased turn-key.

often times a wheel swap cost can be partially offset by selling the existing wheels, but the parts market is saturated with ER6 platform wheels, so it's tough to get much money for them.

rather than send wheels to them, ask if they have done spokes for the Ninja 650 or ER6N crowd, those wheels interchange with yours.
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i guess some riders are contrarians, and don't look with favor on anyone suggesting just how their moto should be equipped or ridden. we are free to make choices, then draw our own conclusions based on the experience.
    rlbowers03 likes this.
  6. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    No need to be offended. You have a nicely modified Versys that I think would be a heck of a basis for the next gen KLR.

I’m just paranoid my17” wheeled good handling Versys will disappear like the Tiger 1050 did. I’m probably too sensitive in that respect and pushed my opinion to much.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    offended?...hardly. i'm pointing out once again that there is no absolute rider consensus on how this particular model gets used. the discussion has been ongoing since 2007.

true, i do have a bunch of mods on my bikes, i like custom stuff. that said, OEM box stock Versys bikes have been all over the place too. pavement, off pavement, and all the rest. inmates keep bringing the photos, the usage is beyond dispute.
  8. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huge fuel range? The tanks is 6 litres too small imo.
  9. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Unless your going over 80mph or in a nasty headwind your looking at 250+ miles to a tank, if your 55-60 up to close to 300 before it runs dry. Not a lot of bikes get that sort of range, the GSA, MG Stelvio being about it.

I’m referring to the gen 3 with 5.5 gal tank. The Gen 1/2 will be less.
  10. arkansas adv

arkansas adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody have a straight front wheel to fit a gen 3 they will part with? I’m not dead set on spoked wheels.
  11. mminob

mminob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Versys 650 will not be the right tool for the job in hard steep off road terrain ... but it sure is fun to watch bad riders make bad choices ... This poor guy is asking for trouble :-)

squirrelrocket likes this.
  12. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to Australia. It's a fucking big country.
  13. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Versys would work fine, I just did a trip to alaska on it, never wanted more fuel range. 12,000 miles, or about 5 trips across Australia.
    Beardoge likes this.
  14. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    hmmmm, that's kinda the issue isn't it...you never know what kind of riding conditions you'll encounter, or whether a fuel stop is open, or if open, has fuel. i've seen less than 30mpg, wouldn't hurt ya east of the Mississippi, but could park ya on the side in the western states, other locations too. the greatest distance between reliable fuel stops i've seen in NA is 321 miles (517km). i carry extra fuel.

you're mistaken on the capacity of the 2007-14 Versys fuel tank, it's 5.5 gallons actual.
  15. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Worst I’ve seen on my gen 3 is 40 mpg in a stiff headwind at 70-75mph in South Dakota which still get’s me out to 200 with a half gallon reserve. I just rode all over the US and Canada this spring, and have been in every state save Hawaii and all the Canadian provinces save Manitoba and have yet to need spare gas. The Super Tenere my friend rode up to Alaska and my dad’s NC700 both did need spare gas on the 12k trip i did a few months back, not the Versys though.

Worst on any bike I’ve owned was on my RX3 a 250cc which got 29 mpg in Newfoundland on the west coast in a 45 mph headwind. I didn’t know that was possible on a 250.

Worst wind was in Utah on I-80 just past the salt flats, 84mph gusts which overturned 3 18 wheelers, on my Stelvio which handled it far better than expected all though i was leaned over severely on a road that is dead strait.

I am mistaken on the earlier bikes I though they had a 5 gallon tank.

Where did you find the 321 mile gap between fuel? There were a few big gaps on the way to Alaska but nothing you can’t easily get between on the Versys.
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i haven't been on a moto in Hawaii either, but i've been in all the provinces except for the Nunavut, and i'm currently researching access to that one, just because. been in most of Mexico too.

all i'm saying is, put on enough miles, and through a combination of routing, conditions, and circumstance, your fuel range comes up short. well traveled moto routes have documented distances between fuel, roll the dice on some other roads, that fuel location shown on your GPS closed a year earlier, or are COD with the fuel vendor and need to sell a lot more chips and beer before they get any fuel in the tanks.

Mirage Outfitters on the Trans Taiga to Relais 381 on the Baie James, 517km, very inconvenient to run out of fuel up there.

i've added more than 5 gallons countless times to the Versys "5 gallon" tank, including 5.493 gallons at 2300 one cold night 200 miles from home. dead stick coast to the pumps, the fuel stop i passed 75 miles earlier was closed at 2100, fuel stop 50 miles earlier looked like a crack house, no other fuel on that road.
    rlbowers03 likes this.
  17. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    It works fine. Except for the bits where there's no fuel for over 350km.
  18. a2ronm

a2ronm Ti-6Al-4V

Oddometer:
    Checking Out......

My 2008 Versys with just over 79,000 miles of my own use (stock seat, suspension, 1 up riding) went to a new home today. I had only put on less than 200 miles in the last couple of years and I was feeling guilty over its lack of use.

Goodbye Versys.....

20191002_135424.jpg
  19. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    “Goodbye old friend.” I hope the new owner gets as much enjoyment (and at least as many miles!) out of that bike as you did!
  20. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I’m not saying the Versys will go to every destination on earth without spare fuel, just that as far as motorcycles go it’s in the upper percentage for fuel range. It’s right up there with the GSA/Stelvio and others that have huge tanks because if you ride it at moderate speeds it’s easy to get a solid 52-55mpg vs the 40-45 the larger bikes typically get.