Versys owners checkin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by pilot, Oct 17, 2007.

1. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    my MPG is in the 40-45 category, but i'm usually in a push of one kind or another, plus that cop motor is making more horses.
  2. abramsgunner

abramsgunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rarely get better than 45mpg on my '08, but that beats the 18.5 I get on the truck...lol
    MoneySlide likes this.
  3. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I know it would probably be stupid, but what do you think of sticking a 600RR engine in the versys skeleton? Obviously that would kill fuel economy and range but the thought of a 600cc S1000XR does seem appealing.
  4. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    The newer gen bikes seem to get a good boost in fuel economy. I get a consistent 52mpg average and I’m a 275lb Sasquatch built guy who does use the full range of the engine on twisty roads. It’s pretty impressive honestly. It really just drops for me over 80mph or into a nasty headwind all day.
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    just about any swap can be done with enough effort and $, but why bother. the cop motor gets 70hp and can be taken plus 10% without losing any reliability, plenty when my focus is off-pavement travel. i don't need more, but don't want less.

proper gearing, instant throttle response, lotta fun for a cheap big bike. those that venture out there already know that while big HP/torque numbers can get you in trouble on those roads pretty damn quick, the same spec motor can also save your butt, the performance is there to bail ya out of bad luck, inattention, or a poor decision.

spend the motor swap money on the suspension, that's where the big payback is located...or juice the suspension and the motor, ya know, for that extra big grin.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  6. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I actually dropped down in size and power to the Versys having basically come to the same conclusion, 70 is just enough to use all of it without anything wasted. I only miss the overkill when passing once and a while. I do miss the better spec brakes and suspension.

Suspension is on my short list for modifying on the Versys, I’m not sure what can be done for the brakes. They get the job done but aren’t as powerful as the higher spec bikes. On the flip side the pads are really cheap to replace.
    abramsgunner likes this.
  7. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    braided SS lines, aftermarket pads, and caliper swap...nothing new, all been done. you could swap in larger rotors with the caliper swap, or just swap in an entire sportbike front end, forks and all. again, nothing new here. with the Versys on the scene since 2007, it's been a multi continent swap-ola fest as riders take the bike in various directions.

i'm running a single 320 front rotor/2 piston/braided front, 240 rear rotor, so brakes are not near the top of the priority list for me. i can lock the front with that setup, that's enough for a gravel runner bias moto.
  8. arkansas adv

arkansas adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have to try pretty hard to get worse than 52mpg on my gen3. I have seen as good as 68-69 on multiple tanks. Coming through Kansas/Oklahoma a couple weeks ago on the toll roads i rarely fell below 80mph for nearly a full tank. 38mpg.
  9. DR Donk

DR Donk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently picked up a '02 HD Super Glide and so the 650 Versys has been mostly hanging out in the shed. I rode the Versys this weekend and today to work and had forgotten what a fun, capable and lightweight bike it is. :ricky
    Ibraz likes this.
  10. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    it's an 80 cruise moto, so that mpg isn't unusual when you're all kitted up in full travel mode.
  11. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    I’d see anywhere from 31 to 45mpg on my previous bike an MG Stelvio depending on air temperature for the most part. Cold days and it wouldn’t get better than 38mpg (air cooled). Good thing that one had a 8.5 gallon tank. 80mph didn’t effect the mpg much, air temperature did.

The Versys goes nearly as far with 3 less gallons of gas for the most part since I’m not cruising at 80mph all day very often. 87 octane is a nice plus too.

The difference in fuel between the tenere and the Versys going to alaska and back (versys gets about 5mpg better than the Tenere, Tenere uses premium) totaled up to about the price of one set of tires.

My dad rode his NC700x up there which burns far less than both at about 65mpg average. (High 74 low 52 in South Dakota winds). Unfortunately that bike has a 3.7 gallon tank and ran out of fuel once at 211 miles. If honda gave it one more gallon it would have killer range.

That DCT NC700 is faster off the line than a lot of bikes, it has all the torque at basically idle and the DCT shifts like greased lightning. It’s not winning any speed contests other than the initial go off a traffic light though lol.
  12. arkansas adv

arkansas adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found it weird that on that same trip I saw 69 mpg on one tank. Same trip, same kit, much slower speeds that day. My buddy saw very similar mpg on the same tank.(same bike and same luggage) I have hit 69-70 four times on this bike. Every time was on a trip loaded. Never saw that kinda MPG on a day ride.
  13. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    My Mk1 did a 530 mile loop around Death Valley to the Sierra foothills and back to Las Vegas earlier this week. Speeds were around 80 in the straight sections and there was a stiff head/side wind most of the afternoon. Even running into the wind on 395 yielded an average of 45 MPG. The following section was a variety of tight passes on CA-168 and crazy wind down in the valleys and it ended up averaging 47 MPG. I have to admit I was surprised, the gauge seemed to drop faster than normal, but it only took 2.8 gal for an indicated 132 miles (which is about 2.8% low, I run a 150/70-17 rear) at the next stop.

I usually seem to average around 50, so this wasn't that far off, despite the conditions. The lowest I've ever seen it is mid-30's, but that's when it plays track bike. :ricky

Gustavo
  14. pothole dodger

pothole dodger n00b

Oddometer:
    I own an x 300
  15. joe5322

joe5322 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    trip to sardinie in Italy ,10000 curves in the mountains.Nice weather. sardinie.jpg
    Bitingdog and Motogasoline like this.
  16. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike!
  17. RoaringTodd

RoaringTodd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know how to clear the check engine light on a 2017 Versys? I was fiddling with the IAP sensor since the Versys was running a little rough. (checking for tube cracks) and the check engine light tripped.
    Thanks. Also for those who have followed this saga, the versys still runs rough. I’ve tried everything. Still can not find a reason why it’s running rough/lean at midrange
  18. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    AFAIK, that light goes off once the conditions that triggered it is gone. May take cycling th ignition on and off a couple of times, but I am guessing you already did that. Did you check the service codes? What is it showing?

Gustavo
  19. RoaringTodd

RoaringTodd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Code 12. IAP sensor.

Went for an hours ride this am and turned it off every 10 minutes hoping it’d turn off on the next cycle. Before it lit up, It ever came on until I moved the IAP sensor to check the tubes.
  20. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Todd, are you saying that the bike ran rough, but the code only appeared after you fiddled with it? That specific code would come up if the sensor is not working or the wiring has an open/short so that the ECU doesn't see it. If you checked the wiring and it looks good, it has to be the sensor.

For the rough running problem you have been chasing - have you checked the ignition stick coils and spark plugs?

Gustavo