Versys owners checkin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by pilot, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW to anyone my DIY Excel Wheel tubeless conversion long term update: I rode 7000ish miles on mixed surfaces and temps with ZERO problems this season. Both tires (Shinko 804 front & 805 rear) held pressure just fine with little to no leakage, (no more than my OEM rims and tires) If you remember it was a trial and error X2 with the rear rim. I had 5 spokes that, for whatever reason didn't seal on my first mounting of the tire. The front had a 90 degree valve stem that ended up not working right and never sealed properly but ALL the spokes sealed the first time!! . So both tires had to come off and fixes were done and then they both worked as advertised the 2nd time around. So it's more than likely NOT a one and done DIY project by any means. Most people that I spoke to, communicated with, or watched on YouTube had very similar results with their first attempt. Many never did achieve a proper seal and went back to tubes. So I consider myself one of the fortunate ones. Especially since my front rim is a 2.15" width and has no proper safety lip for tubeless tire application. The tech at Woody's Wheels would not condone sealing or putting a tubeless tire on the rim for obvious safety concerns. He did say that guys have done it before with varied success, but in no way would he officially sanction doing it. All in all I'm VERY PLEASED with the outcome. Hopefully this helps anyone on the fence considering if it's worth trying. I AM NOT a professional mechanic nor do I posses any special skills, I just consider myself blessed with SOME abilities that allow me to do things. And some of the time those things actually work out as planned. Many times not. But that doesn't deter me from trying. IMG_9919.jpg sealing12.jpg sealing5.JPG
  2. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    @Alaskajeff remind us what system you used to seal the rims?

Gustavo
  3. PHX_Joe

PHX_Joe Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeff, did you post the wheel source somewhere?

Really changes the look, awesome! Also awesome you ride the crap out of it.....
  4. AmbientMoto

AmbientMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jeff, unrelated question... what windscreen and spoiler is that? Thanks! Nice Versys.
  5. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got them from a guy who had a Versys with these wheels on it when he purchased it used. I talked him into selling me the wheels when he couldn't sell the bike. I paid quite a bit for them but I have no regrets since they are not available anywhere.
  6. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used a DIY variation of what I saw on YouTube and from conversations I had with others that have sealed their rims. Basically it was 3M Marine 5200 fast dry adhesive and 3M 2" sealing tape on top of the adhesive. Prep work is VERY IMPORTANT, as the surface around the spoke nipple MUST be as clean as possible to allow the sealant to adhere. It's a long process as you can only seal 3-5 spokes at a time and then you have to let the adhesive dry before you spin the rim and repeat the process. Patience is a MUST, if you rush the process you will only end up re doing it again. 2.jpg 1.jpg 5.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 10.jpg
    Gustavo likes this.
  7. Deltron

Deltron Of the Golden Flower

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone, I have a question. I just changed my oem sprockets and chain to a did. 520 and have the stock size sprockets but JT. I aligned the wheel with the marks and my motion pro tool and checked the chain slack multiple times and am on the loose end of the spec. For some reason, now when I just rode the bike there is a whining noise like a supercharger almost coming from the chain area specifically the front sprocket? Is it because the new front sprocket is all metal and doesn’t not have the rubber portions like the original front sprocket did. Any advice? It sounds like humming or a whining noise. The chain seems to be in spec and the wheels aligned from what i can tell but I never heard this noise before and only now after the new parts. I think the humming picks up after 60mph and upwards especially if i tuck down behind the screen and listen for it.
  8. mminob

mminob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the rubber dampened front sprocket will help with chain noises , so I would replace your non - rubber one with a JT dampened one , only a few bucks more and may help the whine ...

However , some chain and sprocket swaps , will make a new or different sound from your old kit... nothing rubbing at the speedo sensor ? :-)

csm_JTF565-15RB_1__a93dbdbd73.jpg
  9. Deltron

Oddometer:
    I see, yea mine doesnt have the rubber parts. I dont mind the noise enough to change it this time around, I just got paranoid something can be getting damaged since I had never heard it before. I will check again to see no parts of the sensor are touching.
  10. RoaringTodd

RoaringTodd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IAP sensor, any of you had to replace it? My check engine light came on last week, and for the this riding season, the bike has been running rough at times. I could not trace it down to a specific cause until the check engine light came on.

Wonder if any of you had any experience - 2017 Versys.
  11. Cactus Ken

Cactus Ken f@$& fear, free your spirt!

Oddometer:
    Yeah me too! DID chain JT sprockets, turbo whining, sucks very un nervering . Glad to hear I am not alone. Cure ? More parts? Better ear plugs? It's not the speedo thing, took it off and went for a ride, same noise, lots slack in the chain, seems better. Well for now it's up for the winter.. SD.
    Deltron likes this.
  12. Deltron

Oddometer:
    I think unless you get the front sprocket with rubber dampers it is the noise you gotta expect or get used too. Maybe it will get better when things set in, but, I rode a bit the other day and began to notice it less since my mind got used to it.
  13. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Do you guys ride with ear plugs? I have had a damper-less 16T and 15T sprockets since the bike was basically new 12 years ago. What noise? :dunno

Gustavo
    Cactus Ken likes this.
  14. abramsgunner

abramsgunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I do ride my '08 with ear plugs.. gotta save what little hearing I have left.

I believe the Versys has straight cut gears, so there always a bit of gear whine going on as well.
    Cactus Ken likes this.
  15. AmbientMoto

AmbientMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ear plugs at all times... unless I forget.
    Cactus Ken likes this.
  16. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    very rare failure
  17. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    stick a Leo Vince on there, you'll never be concerned with chain/sprocket noise again.
  18. Deltron

Oddometer:
    O I bet I have the stock exhaust on it so I can barely hear it most of the time.

I always wear earplugs no matter how far I am riding.
  19. RoaringTodd

RoaringTodd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep I agree - very strange failure. I swapped it out with a salvage IAP sensor from a local motorcycle yard, and the check engine light didn't go away. There are NO visible cracks or defects in the vacuum hose. I've reached the limits of what I can do, and barring any other ideas here, it goes off to the dealership. $$$
  20. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    did you test the IAP and reset the CEL? the procedures should be in the service manual.