Versys owners checkin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by pilot, Oct 17, 2007.

1. RoaringTodd

RoaringTodd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to an online forum, the CEL should turn off as soon as the fault is fixed. Thought it'd do that when I swapped IAPs. No dice.

2. Deltron

Deltron Of the Golden Flower

Oddometer:
    Should the chain tension adjustment change or be the same if the bike is on a paddock stand? I do know the swingarm says to measure it on the side stand.
  3. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    It's not a significant difference, but you will see a tighter looking chain on the paddock stand, because there is more weight on the rear wheel when the bike is upright. If it looks too tight when on the paddock stand, it's too tight on the side stand too.

Gustavo
    Deltron likes this.
  4. rlbowers03

rlbowers03 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, so I am reaching out the general Versys population here. I need to source a Front Fender for a 2014 Versys. Mine is busted up. I am either looking for an OEM replacement, something that would work (Ninja, EX, Vulcan, etc.) or information on High-Mount dirt bike fender that would work.

I've been searching eBay all day. Amazing what they are asking for, well, basically Trash. Maybe I should list my busted fender for $80
  5. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just checked Partzilla and it's $122 plus shipping. Yikes; didn't think it would be that much. No wonder you're looking for alternatives. The whole front fairing for my 2015 is only $139 (DAMHIK).
  6. Deltron

Deltron Of the Golden Flower

Oddometer:
    Gustavo thank you for the reply.

I went for a ride this weekend and did some camping for two nights on the Natchez Trace Parkway. Here are some photos, I hope everyone else had a nice weekend or at least got some decent riding in. The fall colors are nice to see again.

24F4B3B9-AF12-48B0-A1B9-FBFFD4DDD10B.jpeg 3CE65994-C181-4885-A8A8-3A7C116A4729.jpeg 1071CA76-B35C-4356-BBFD-492CFBB4A7D7.jpeg
  7. AmbientMoto

AmbientMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Saying hello to all the Versys guys here; haven't had a chance to get great photos of my new-to-me 2012. Last bike was a 'Strom. Really enjoying this bike so far. haven't had it too long but it's been great on daily commute rides and a nice day trip.

[​IMG]
  8. xrhondabob

xrhondabob Follow Me

Oddometer:
    Great Versys picture.
  9. xrhondabob

xrhondabob Follow Me

Oddometer:
    Congrats to the folks that got their purchases from Motea. I been trying to email and call them without any reply. They don't show any shipping to the US on their web-site and they haven't gotten back to me.
  10. Gibster

Gibster high desert roamer

Oddometer:
    I got my center stand off of Motea's Ebay store. Shipped from Germany UPS on a Monday and was installing it Wednesday night.
  11. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a couple of months, what do you think of the Sargent?
  12. PAULIBIKER

PAULIBIKER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just bought a 2016 Versys 650. Been reading about re-flashing the ECU. What says the group?
  13. AmbientMoto

AmbientMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The general consensus over on KawasakiVersys forum is that the flash is a very good thing. Wish I could get it for my 2012...
  14. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had Steve In FL from the forum reflash my 2015's ECU. Made it run about 500% better is all. :^) Throttle response is much smoother and more linear, and the "drop anchor" feeling on trailing throttle is totally gone.
  15. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If that reflash had come out just a bit sooner I'd have absolutely tried it on my 2015 Versys, based on all the talk on the Versys forum, I traded the V in on an AT beforehand.
  16. ddlewis

ddlewis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh i fought that sob on my '10. Think it was a code 13? It was a mother to solve. Replaced sensor twice w spares and no go. Finally noticed that when seat was off i could clear the cel and it wouldnt come back. Put seat on and ride and it would quickly come on. The seat was pressing on a bundle of wires. Unwrapped and found a few w scuffed insulation.. Scabbed in new wires and it issue went away
    RoaringTodd likes this.
  17. arkansas adv

arkansas adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sent it back as soon as I got back from my Colorado trip. After 3200 miles I hated it. Still had a slight forward slide and seat put pressure on my thighs where it was dished and wider. I am back to stock now and will stay that way.... actually I’m selling the whole bike....
  18. arkansas adv

arkansas adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do I get this done? If I end up keeping my bike I may try it. That’s been my biggest complaint about it.
  19. this is a RV

this is a RV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Steve goes by should da ben engineering. ShoodabenEngineering.com
    I had mine and my wife's 2016s flashed this spring. WOW what a different bike.
    Doug Just Doug likes this.
  20. mattdridebfree

mattdridebfree n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Versys Owners. I'm checking in as I'm new to Advrider and a pretty new Versys Owner. I picked up a 2011 with 6,000 miles earlier this year. I've put some 7,000 miles on it and think the bike is great. Some modifications that I have made that make a difference in comfortable riding include the Madstad windscreen, PSR footpegs, Barkbuster Storm hand guards, BMC air filter; added a Givi box mount and some Givi saddlebags. I had a bad chain and changed it out and put a 43 tooth rear sprocket on. I'm pleased with that modification and think it makes the bike better for me. The bike came with SW Motech engine guards. Those came in handy. I had an accident in June and the engine guards saved the bike. I lost my spleen, but the bike survived and I got back on and rode 6 weeks after the accident. My point is engine guards are good. And accidents hurt. Gear saved me from more injuries. I was in a group and the rider in front of me was an erratic rider. I came around a corner and had to avoid hitting the rider in front of me. Went through a big pile of gravel that was in the road(which freaked out the rider in front of me) and then I high-sided. I hit the ground hard. The lesson for me is be careful in group rides. And when you don't know the behavior of the riders, give yourself some extra space. MY accident, my fault.

I went on a ride with some friends on KTM 1290 Adventure bikes and rode 350 miles. The Versys kept the pace with those big bikes on the back country roads and its when the roads open up and things get really fast that I wasn't keeping up. I'm sure a more advanced rider on this bike could. And those guys are really good riders. One of 'em can wheelie his bike just about anywhere. It's a blast watching him ride. I'm impressed that the V650 can handle as well as it does. I have a 2008 V Strom 1000 and the V650 is superior in handling. Really enjoying it.

Just wondering if anyone has a Seat Concepts low seat. I ground some foam off the bottom and that improved the seat. I'd say the seat is my least favorite part of the bike.