Versys owners checkin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by pilot, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Glistening Shaft Supporter

Oddometer:
    The new versys 1000 looks ridiculous! But the price tag is upsetting
  2. AmbientMoto

AmbientMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got out for a few hours on what will probably be the last 60+ degree day for some time... after a long weekend around too many people, it was nice.

[​IMG]
  3. Atalanta89

Atalanta89 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Led a group ride with some like minded adventure riders the other day. Always a good day when your setting out and enjoying your surroundings. Here are some pictures captured by my friends and I. We went through multiple counties, country roads, ate some BBQ by the local airport and then continued on. Some clocked in about 200 miles round trip.

Attached Files:

Deltron likes this.
  4. HopkinsOldGuy

HopkinsOldGuy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A little late to add my two cents worth, but I thought I would anyway.
    I had a Russel put on my old BMW R 80. Best investment I ever made for that bike. Yes, it did cost me a little over $500 at the time, but it made 500+ mile days not a problem.
  5. Atalanta89

Oddometer:
    I have the Seat Concepts low seat with the gripper top and have put many long hour rides on it. It’s been well worth the money but Terry’s was my second option.
  6. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sargent is not on the level of seat concepts versys 650 seat. No comparison. The SC is an amazing improvement. As far as I can tell the sargent looks great but that's it.
  7. MoneySlide

MoneySlide Tall Teller of Tales

Oddometer:
    8EFC1DD0-D777-414B-8B47-45E074F5B72F.jpeg We had some tornados this past weekend and my 18my versys decided to sleep through the storms. Only damage is it scuffed the saddle bag and broke the factory handguard does anyone have any recommendations for new handguards now that I have a reason to upgrade
  8. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yikes. I like my Givi handguards very much in the rain and cold, but I don't have a basis for comparison since my 2015 ABS model didn't come with the OEM guards.
    MoneySlide likes this.
  9. MoneySlide

Oddometer:
    The mounting bracket is in two pieces so I guess if it ever hits the ground it’s just gonna shear off the plastic cover 002591FD-D2BF-4D11-ACA3-50D97064A3B4.jpeg 7D6C8917-6472-41BD-B95D-B91127439155.jpeg
  10. Atalanta89

Oddometer:
    Barkbusters Storms are a good upgrade with more coverage than the stock unit.
    Wood1 and MoneySlide like this.
  11. Wood1

Wood1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    3D0C3A75-62B6-412C-A189-797129D387AB.jpeg
    63E6E2CB-3510-4A0B-AAEE-AD6D107FE271.jpeg
    I put the storms on my 09 and love them. They are sturdy. Dropped the bike several times on the MABDR with no damage.
    Atalanta89 and MoneySlide like this.
  12. MoneySlide

Oddometer:
    That looks like what I’m looking for
  13. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed Barkbuster VPS hand guards on my AT, and they are great. They are also adjustable, having a two position wind deflector. Even in the high position they don't have the coverage that the storms do, but if you live someplace temperate to warm, the VPS kit may suit your needs better.

By coverage I meant wind protection/deflection. They use the same aluminum frame, so protection should be equal.
    MoneySlide likes this.
  14. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I looked and looked - this thread, jdrocks thread. Tell me about (or show me where) this cop motor 80HP mod, please.
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    you're asking the question in the wrong forum. the "cop" motor is the 650 Ptwin sportbike motor used in all the V649 motos, so to get to 80hp you're already starting with a motor that makes more horsepower than the stock Versys motor, although recent iterations have brought the numbers closer. 80hp in the sportbike motor is only about a 10% pop, very reasonable for a motor with a plain bearing bottom.

check the EX650, Ninja 650, flat track, and track bike forums for plenty of reading on tuning these motors. the OEM stock cop motor is ultra reliable, which is what i want in a motor, so i've never juiced it beyond an exhaust swap. 70+ hp gets me in plenty of trouble already.

latest cop powered Versys was buried in a corner of the shop, dug it out so i could finish it up. BigChuck, another Versys dude, wants to go for a BDR ride later this spring.

[​IMG]
    Atalanta89 and AmbientMoto like this.
  16. alekkas

alekkas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks. So in general terms, the reference is more about the earlier ninja motors having more hp than the versys motors. Then just mod away if one is so inclined.
  17. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I don't know which dyno's you are using as a basis, but everything I've seen puts the Ninja/ER6 at about 5 HP more than the Versys, meaning, about 65HP at the rear wheel (maybe you were referring to HP at the crank?). I think going to 80 is possible and some racebikes have been shown to make more than that, but it's a ~20% increase, not 10% from stock. It's not trivial and requires some serious modifications.

Gustavo
  18. AmbientMoto

AmbientMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @jdrocks that white frame looks crazy awesome.
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    don't have a dyno, and have never had one of these ptwins dyno'd, but i have followed along with what others have done and tested. as i said, my only mod to the assembly has been exhaust. tuners have reported that 80 is not real difficult, above 80 longevity suffers.

crank or wheel, who cares as long as it's apples to apples. there's a reason people were a little disappointed with the OEM Versys motor when it first came out a year after the ER650 debut, it was down 10-12% in both HP and torque in order to make it easier to ride...there was a little joke from Kawasaki in there somewhere, confirmed via butt dyno.

most riders find the Versys motor perfectly acceptable, me too, but the cop motor is mo betta if you care to fool around with these things. the motor in the Versys white frame is a 2012 EX650, and the Versys got a similar motor in 2015, although the numbers still didn't quite match up.

puzzling as to why Kawasaki put a different spec motor in the Versys since the endless argument has always been that all models in the entire ER6 series, including the Versys, have all been street bikes.
  20. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks, i'll come back with a better photo when i finish it up...the thing is a brute.