Versys owners checkin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by pilot, Oct 17, 2007.

1. PHX_Joe

PHX_Joe Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my case, I had 2 broken from a drop. I used fiberglass cloth and epoxy, went in small pieces and several layers in the weak spots - 6 years ago. No problem. Not perfect in terms of exterior finish, but i did no bodywork after.
    Gryphus1 likes this.
  2. rs42sport

rs42sport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for recommendations on led headlights for a gen 2 Versys.. thanks
  3. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    Search amazon for “Safego F2 H7”. I’ve been using them for a couple years. Perfect beam pattern, no issues in 40k km of all weather / all season commuting, logging roads, etc.
    Atalanta89 likes this.
  4. Atalanta89

Atalanta89 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cyclops adv is another option.
  5. MotoSailorDC

MotoSailorDC Hack-curious

Oddometer:
    I have been VERY impressed with my Cyclops. I ended up with the CIL-KLRGEN2 KLR GEN - it wasn't cheap, but shoot dang - it's bright. Highly recommended.
    Atalanta89 likes this.
  6. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    My Cyclops LED bulb kit came with the H7 spacer adapter thingy , and you have to bend the wire retainer clip to fit... I had trouble getting the proper shape to hold the bulbs in and finally got it ... :-)

They have been working fantastic for 10,000 miles and put out a lot of bright light , but I run the low and high beam all day... no fan on these, they don't get too hot...

They are $ 150 bucks though , currently out of stock ?

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports....njaGoldwing-LED-Headlight-Bulb-Kit_p_100.html
    Atalanta89 likes this.
  7. Atalanta89

Atalanta89 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @mminob That's what I did and it has been a fantastic upgrade.
  8. ZaethDekar

ZaethDekar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer to, and I think I know what I need to do but I would like some input.

I have the GIVI Monokey E37 top case and mounting bracket, I also have the Happy Trails side cases. They have one bolt that use the same mounting location, which is the upper left subframe mount. Without getting a custom bolt made and modifying the HappyTrails mount there is no way to mount both luggage options.

Does anyone know of a top case mounting set up that will work with the Happy Trails sidecases? I attached a picture of the mounting location and what the total look would be like.

My only thought is to create a custom mounting bracket that ties into the support mount on the HappyTrails and using the bolt that the Givi is currently mounted to. (FYI I only used the zipties to get the whole kit home, then I took it all off, I don't want to trust it with just one mounting point)

Attached Files:

9. PHX_Joe

Oddometer:
    Here's how Givi system deals with it. Perhaps cut off and re-weld the HT mount further out so they play nice together. Seems the part is dead straight for the cut (3/4"?), and you could insert a slug inside for better welding and strength at the joint. Any decent welder could pull this off. Good luck!!
    20200630_110404.jpg

Attached Files:

10. PHX_Joe

Oddometer:
    These are both Givi racks.
  11. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know how the happy trails kit attaches to it's rack, but I'd be looking at getting rid of the happy trails rack and getting the Givi pannier racks. They're designed to play together.

You can take the standard Givi tongue and mushrooms off to create an even surface to mount non-givi stuff.
  12. moffy

moffy foolish fool

Oddometer:
    Has anyone put a Suzuki xt650 rear hub on their versys 650 to have spoked wheels?
  13. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    DL650/1000 can be fitted with a few changes, probably the 650XT too.

lots of options for spokes on the Versys 650.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  14. Mark Kingfisher

Mark Kingfisher n00b

Oddometer:
    mminob likes this.
  15. RoaringTodd

RoaringTodd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Questions for you guys in Versysland - have any of you had any issues with your fuel injectors or ignition coils causing your engine to run rougher and/or reduced response? I'm trying to track down why my 2017 Versys has this peculiar rough running and reduced response after a long run. The maddening thing is I just had the 7,600 mile service done in hopes of resolving this, and it didn't. Fresh spark plugs, throttle body sync'd, fresh chain and sprockets etc.

After that service the bike ran fantastic, and I was so happy to have my Versys back to the way she was when I bought her new. Rode her 200 miles with my crew. We stopped at a pub for dinner, and I got back on Fiona for the ride home. It was a night and day difference, and she was back to her old ways, with the engine running rough throughout the gears, and even though the idle was at 1,300, it felt stronger and not as mellow. She also wasn't as responsive.
  16. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    Howdy Mark K, as you would imagine a skid plate like this is really just a light duty brush and gravel guard that will offer you some protection from flying rocks and small stuff... just remember to avoid the big impacts as the Versys is a little tender on its underbelly bits... A fender extender also helps with stuff flying up off the front tire too...

For dirty unpaved roads , I have been happy with Shinko 705's and Avon Trailriders at around 25 or 30 psi... these tires can handle the pavement well too !

I think you are in the Pacific North West right ? I have visited some up there and it looked like a great place to wander around and explore , someday ..

SRC Moto has some nice products ...Enjoy this great forum and ride safe brother :thumb

K-VS18-09-02_4000x.progressive.jpg
    16VGTIDave and Mark Kingfisher like this.
  17. PHX_Joe

Oddometer:
    https://www.srcmoto.com/collections...19-kawasaki-versys-650?variant=28195619438656[/QUOTE]

Very poor mounting locations, in my opinion - fragile spots to apply load. $300 is pricy. SW Motech seems the preferred model, I have a Ravetech which mounts to the same spots as SWM - and it has taken a couple big hits. Many here would say the same of the SWM version, too. And those mounting brackets are aluminum, yikes! Just opinion, good luck!
    Mark Kingfisher likes this.
  18. Mark Kingfisher

Mark Kingfisher n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks mminob, I've had an eye on both of those tires, good to hear an endorsement. I don't plan to get dirtier than maintained forest service roads, which there are plenty of here in the PNW!

Hey Joe, thanks for the comment. That was my concern, from what I have gathered mounting points have been a pretty big issue for underbelly & engine protection on the V. It seems like many of them mount in a way that could cause collateral damage on impact..

I'm looking to add a minimal amount of dirt/gravel capability to keep me and the bike safe for the next year or two - and then likely pick up a T7/790r once the used market gets going. I was thinking skid plate & adv tires is the way to go, but I'm open to suggestions!
    16VGTIDave likes this.
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    i don't want a gravel guard/skid like the SRC that uses the water pump housing and belly fairing lugs as mounting points. get the SW Motech guard for your model year, the Motech uses the engine mount bolts as attachment points, and is actually pretty sturdy for off pavement use. the Motech is longer than the SCR shown, so there is less chance of hooking the leading edge of the silencer.
  20. PHX_Joe

Oddometer:
    Hey, Mark.... not to go off on a tire rant, I have and love my Trailriders, but they're a bit sketchy on loose gravel. They're fantastic on road and rain and wear very well. I don't think they're your answer in mud. Again, just opinion. Good luck!
    Mark Kingfisher likes this.