Versys owners checkin

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by pilot, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Ignition coils are known to crack from heat and vibration. If you had any water get in there, it only makes things worse. Were the spark plugs replaced during that service?

It's easy to check when you are doing the service and have the tank off anyway, but a lot of work just to get to them otherwise. It looks like you have no choice but to go back in.

Gustavo
    9Realms likes this.
  2. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Just acquired a cherry '07 Versys. Such a comfortable bike to ride, plenty of low rpm torque, and some zip when you wind it out.

Son number one really likes going for an evening ice cream run on the back 20200624_211724.jpg
    Ibraz, StanBo and 9Realms like this.
  3. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Neat to see an actual '07 model for a change.
    We didn't really get them in the states till 2008.
    My '08 was red once too.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  4. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    I think the light is tricking you. The '07 was more orange than red. Not the same color as the '08 which was really red in the US and CA (and maybe Malaysia) but was not offered anywhere else.

Gustavo
    Bitingdog likes this.
  5. Lee R

Lee R Man in a Box

Oddometer:
    Have any of you mounted a bike on your Versys? I know it sounds goofy as hell, but seems a way to combine two fun activities. I have extensive MTB trail networks around where I live. Seems like it would be fun to ride the Versys there and then get some exercise and ride back.
  6. rs42sport

rs42sport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question, what would the asking price to sell a set of 2011 v35 Color matched (maroon) cases and racks barely used.. took them off when I got the bike.. Thanks
  7. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    @enduro0125 I recall mounted a bike to his GS. Maybe he will comment.
    Wood1 likes this.
  8. RideOn2

RideOn2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a get off on my 08 Versys recently.....time to replace the handle bars. OEM are on indefinite back order....so looking at afta market. What have some of you done and what might give a similar fit in the 7/8 bar????

Thx
    Ibraz likes this.
  9. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the Protaper ATV Hi is the usual go to.
    rlbowers03 likes this.
  10. RideOn2

RideOn2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does it come in 7/8 stock.
  11. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep
  12. RideOn2

RideOn2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looked at the specs of the protaper ATV they look good. However they are a fair bit higher which I like but there sure isn't much extra in the brake lines, clutch and other wiring.

Do those bars require any mods??
    Thx
  13. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    The Pro Taper ATV bend comes in three versions - Low, Mid, High. It's not just the total height or rise difference, there are differences in all measurements. I use the Mid on a V-Strom (my Versys still has the OEM bar) because it had the least sweep (meaning less angle in your wrists) with risers. All versions are wider than OEM (813 vs ~780 mm), but it comes with markings to cut off the ends evenly.

Gustavo
    16VGTIDave likes this.
  14. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use ATV Hi and am probably putting my bar riser back on today.

I've never had to do anything with the cabling.
  15. RideOn2

RideOn2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've put an order in for the ATV Hi I'll see how it goes. Thx for the posts to my ??

My get off has required new upper left cowling, left mirror, left turn signal , handle bar and new face shield!!!

I was plodding down a dirt road about 2 miles from my house and an old lady ran a stop sign and I tapped the front brake a little too hard locked up the front wheel and went over the handle bars. Lady didn't even stop. Knocked out cold and a guy stopped and helped me and the bike up. Rode it home. 1st accident in 50 yes of riding.

I've fallen off my dirt bikes dozens of times but I don't think those mishaps count as accidents.
    mminob and 9Realms like this.
  16. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Post some pics when you swap them over. I also have a first gen. V running stock bars yet, but with a riser.
    Glad you are still with us after that mishap you describe. Sounds like you have retained fast reflexes!
  17. RideOn2

RideOn2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks not sure about the reflexes...the few extra pounds helped cushion things though. Bouncing off the road at 68 years old not so much fun, still getting the evil eye from my wife.

Had my K1200RS out today before the wind and rain hits tommorow.
  18. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    Ouch, tucked the front, face plant, knocked out ? ... Maybe watch for some lingering concussion symptoms and take care brother ! That was a close call...

I like my ATV High bar and riser, and left them wide to take advantage of the extra leverage that it gives on steering inputs...

As you may or may not know, the stock switch gear has little locating nubs, inside, and holes in the stock bar to stop the thing from moving...

Some people drill holes in the bars but that is not recommended ... Just grind down or file down the nubs, and put some black electric tape under the switch...to keep them from spinning...

Also the cables, lines and switch wires need rerouting a little ... Good luck :thumb

r6_killswitch_3.jpg
    Atalanta89 likes this.
  19. Ibraz

Ibraz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    600km in seven hours including five hours of heavy rain and violent winds.
    Next time i’ll take care of the broken heated grip wire before getting out. :hmmmmm

5E28D5D5-CD5B-4F34-87B9-C0EF989559FE.jpeg
    squirrelrocket and 9Realms like this.
  20. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    @Ibraz sounds like fun... :nah

So where did you go? I don't recognize that place in the picture.

Gustavo