Versys-X 300....any opinions?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by stumps, Feb 17, 2017.

1. 59DEN

59DEN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Initial ride impressions from a Perth rider

stumps, robmoto and NorthBayPete like this.
  2. asaulo1

asaulo1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    took the wife on her first ride on the new bike. Have to say, I was quite impressed with the bike even with a passenger on board. Here's a quick video...

stumps and 59DEN like this.
  3. asaulo1

asaulo1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    took our first long ride on the versys x300 a couple of weekends ago. Will write a review of it in the next couple of days. Here's a quick video of the ride...

stumps likes this.
  4. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

59DEN likes this.
  5. asaulo1

asaulo1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took the Versys on some gnarly trails with my bro in law in his vx300 and I have to say, the more I ride this thing on dirt trails like these, the more I love this bike! it is light and nimble on the rough stuff and I bet with the proper tires (say 80/20 tires), I'd be even more confident in tackling rougher terrain. Anyway, here's a quick video I put together of yesterday's trail ride... Cheers!

59DEN likes this.
  6. thumper-darryl

thumper-darryl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What an interesting bike, as it does check off most of the boxes for many riders. It is interesting in they we see more and more experienced riders going away from the big, expensive Adv bikes as they realize that with a bit of work this new generation of small Adv bikes are all that we actually need to put a smile on our faces. Great value by the look of it.
    Traktourer likes this.
  7. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    bump.

In the absence of a T3, these have got my attention.
    Now, my youngest son has decided he's getting his bike licence and, without knowing diddly about bikes, did a very little bit of looking about and is interested in one.

There is a thousand page thread elsewhere. I read through the last 10 pages and the discussion is about tank bags, "how do I.." and one bloke deciding he likes his Super Sherpa over the X 300. Nope, not going to go back there.

I'd be interested to read some more up to date comments about them.

New colours look nice.

versys x300.jpg
    59DEN, stumps, GodSilla and 2 others like this.
  8. nzdans

nzdans Learnertic

Oddometer:
    Hey Tiger,

I've had one for about 18 months and rate it very highly. My girlfriend bought it off me a few months back however I still hop on for a spin occasionally.

We did a trip from ACT to White cliffs via Hay, Ivanhoe, Menindee then back via Wellington & Hill End in Feb (2100km).. Great times. We've done a few other short bush camps with it as well.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you like.

Cheers,
    Dan.
    Sundowner, 59DEN, stumps and 3 others like this.
  9. 59DEN

59DEN Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had mine for a few years and apart from the front suspension needing to be upgraded for my weight and gear, it has been trouble-free. Nothing has falling off, it is low to the ground though and I did destroy the side stand switch but I was going places it was not intended to go.
    Smooth engine, flexible gearing, low seat height with good wind protection, and very good gravel road manners.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ff3ZzxhLSnbo65NH6
    Sundowner, manybike, cobrin and 4 others like this.
  10. bc6805

bc6805 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had one for nearly 3 years, but only 25000 km so far - bloody covid! Previously I had a farkled DR650 and a Versys 650 (as a road only bike). Both were starting to get a bit heavy - V650 in particular.

I really, REALLY like the 300 - once I got used to the way it revs to the moon. Its good on gravel roads but is no dirt bike. I take it on fire trails but no single track. The limiting factor is the lack of suspension travel. You just hit the stops on anything that is lumpy or you're going too fast for the bike. First gear is so low that you can trickle through the gnarly bits.

Its comfortable (except for seat) and will sit on 110kph all day long. The engine is bullet proof. Check out

https://advrider.com/f/threads/kawasaki-versys-x-300.1185562/

There have been no reported issues with the bike with a lot of people doing long trips on them, with one guy finishing the iron butt rally twice.

I have kept the original gearing. Experience with the V650 taught me that Kawa knows what it is doing. Just rev the little bastard higher.

I have also reverted to the original counter shaft sprocket - its rubber bushed and it does make a difference, although expensive.

Note: One of the reasons I bought the V300 is its lack of capability on the really rough stuff and sand - it prevents me from going stupid places. I'm about to turn 75 and falling off really hurts these days.

PM me if you want more info.

BruceC
    Sundowner, 59DEN, Farmer Roy and 2 others like this.