Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    OEM exhaust.

Many pull out the rear plug on the left side (right in the pic) and allow exhaust to flow out there too vs sending it all to the other side to exit. Does help.

An aftermarket opens that whole other side with space to mount a tool box/tube plus drops a ton of weight.

20191017_132036.jpg

gs_exhaust.jpg
  3. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    That exhaust on the Z400 does curve out quite a way at the front.

And I still worry about bash plate fixings.

[​IMG]
  4. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    If I remember correctly this version of the XT 660 was 30 or 40 lbs. lighter than the 660 Tenere. I'd be seriously interested if Yamaha built a version of this with the T-7. Neither version of the 660 was ever available in the US so I didn't pay too close of attention to them.
  5. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good points. I am in the same category where I have other bikes but I could live with the VX as an only ride...not sure my wife would be as comfy on the back though. I can see the sun setting on the 1000cc and over displacement in the Adventure category. A good example of is the KTM 950 adventure, it had gobs of power IMHO...did the market really dictate a need for a heavier 1190 and then 1290 ? I am discovering that less really can be more. At the end of the day my smile is just as big. However, a bit more torque to loft the front wheel occasionally would be nice :)
  6. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hence the 1190 and 1290.
  7. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have ridden the 950 and lofting the front wheel was pretty easy, never ridden a 1190 or 1290. Lofting the front wheel of a VX300 would take considerable effort.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Interesting thought you have there.
    XT700. Yamaha had a long history of XT bikes.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  9. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    When built like this one they may have been a better ADV bike than the 660 Tenere.
    IMG_20200120_192604.jpg
  10. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Poll Results: Designing The Ideal Adventure Travel Bike

It seems the VX400 is smaller than the average desire. I'm surprised that people want so much hp and tank size - fairly unrealistic in a <400lb bike, I think.

"Over 51% of you said that you wanted the machine to get between 46 – 55 miles per gallon of fuel" - the Z400 does 60mpg (US)/3.87litres per 100km.
    11motos and Dutch idiot like this.
  11. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Polls like this are interesting because they often demonstrate how realistic people's expectations are. Also, the correlation between what people say they want and what they actually choose is not as close as we might think it would be. Might point us that while interesting I don't know relevant the results actually are.
    11motos and Ken in Regina like this.
  12. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Pirate

Oddometer:
    While I can't vouch for everybody for myself I can never see a single scenario where I need over 100 hp - ever. For most of my use something like a VX 400 would work and work well. Guess that makes me a premature old fart!
  13. proeliator

proeliator Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    ^ It probably needs 30kg knocked off it and the 400 motor.
    11motos, Dutch idiot and proeliator like this.
  15. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    If you use the new Ninja/Z650 chassis instead of the old one the Versys still uses, it may be closer in weight than you think. The Ninja is 423 lbs wet and the Z650 412 lbs. The 2019 Z650 w/o ABS was 405 lbs. I haven't looked at the details to see where the weight gain came from this year. Yes, they only carry 4 gallons of fuel and longer travel suspension plus larger wheels will weigh more too. So make that 430 for an adventurised version of the Z650. Kawasaki is still sitting on one of the best answers to the unicorn question in their parts bin. You probably don't need a complete redesign, just let the guys that created the Versys-X 300 loose on the Versys/Z650 platform. I bet it wouldn't take 5 years like it did Yamaha with the T7... :deal

Gustavo
    ag_streak, 11motos and proeliator like this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's Italyhusky thing they were doing it long time. There's a performance advantage but they're doing it to stay within noise regs and those cans along with right side heat shield is an easy place to lighten up bike by 15-20lbs.

The SD 600cc thumper is very smooth slots between CRF 250 and Rotax 652cc I prefer it over BMW especially at highway speeds good luck.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think there is 2->1 exhaust over there; there is an Australian shop which makes 2->1 midpipe which you can use with slip-on if your choice. You can also get Arrow but those are 2 slip-ons.

Personally I went for 2 China Akros and mostly for weight saving. There is a factory Arrow map which smooth out throttle especially at lower RPM and close loop EFI will take care of rest
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's why I've been saying all this time the 300X is a one off model design with a larger engine size KLR as the next Kawi bike...

The 300X can live on for years in the US and other markets along side the new KLR.

In the EU the new KLR will be the new bike alone moving forward.
    11motos likes this.
  19. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Wanting is not the same as needing.
    We know a 170kg bike with 50hp can do all the things a 250kg 100hp bike can do but better and a lot more and sometimes for 1/3 of the cost.
    BMW has said that 90% of its ADV customers do not touch the dirt ever.
    That is why surveys are so useless because the idea of what ADV means for so many might seem completely disconnected from reality for a few.
    Manufactirers are great at selling ideas and dreams.
    It is called marketing.
  20. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    There is so much presure to be in style that people foegot creativity.
    To me that seems like a T7 and we know is great but there are several tradeoffs that might be too much for some to make it more popular.
    A VX400 could beat larger bikes at many things if they do it right.