1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    The thing is even an old one can be taken apart and refurbished very easily and since it shares the engine and other parts
    with the EX500 ninja there is no shortage of parts.

This guy from a KLE riders group in Spain did a great job modifying this for the dirt and also says 192kg with the full tank that is not the ideal but also not too bad.
    Obviously, swapping the rear boat anchor, also known as the factory muffler, is a must.

you see them prepared all over the place doing adventure including the typical and also pretty challenging terrain. Like those guys say it takes them around the world w/o any hiccups.
  2. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    I suspect we're getting a bit desperate if we're eyeing up KLE500s.
    Ozzymoto, RedEX, Bullwinkle and 5 others like this.
  3. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    The KLE-500 always had my interest but, hopefully a VX-400 (or KLX-400) will be lighter & actually come to the US.
    eakins likes this.
  4. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Yes, lighter. A VX400 should come in less than 180kg (<400lb) and I wish a KLX400 to be around 165kg (365lb) with good fuel tank.
  5. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If Ninja 400 is any indication of Kawi's efforts to trim weight then I think VX400 should come in less than 400 lb. The new 400 powerplant is lighter (2 lbs, I think) and physically smaller than the old 300 unit. And Ninja 400 frame is 13 lb lighter than the Ninja 300 frame. Curb weight on Ninja 400 is 366 lb which is 17 lbs less than Ninja 300. However, about 4.7 lbs of that 17 lb weight saving is due to a reduction in fuel capacity from 17 L to 14 L :-( TBH I hope the frame of VX400 is a little more substantial than the VX300 frame because the latter feels a bitlighter than than it should be (especially the rear subframe).
    Bullwinkle and Dutch idiot like this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like it will be klx700 (skip to 3:30)
  7. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there was a Adv Rider article about this: https://advrider.com/kawasaki-klx700-renderings-and-rumors/ I don't know that we can read much into this given that we do not know the origin of the renderings. Having said that, in 2015-2016 there was a rumour with an accompanying rendering of a "Versys 250" floating around the Internet although, in the end, Versys-x 250/300 looks nothing like the rendering.

Edit: Since my original posting I tracked down the origin of the "KLX700" renders. They are from a UK graphic design studio, Kardesign Ltd. According to Kardesign's Facebook page, they were "created exclusively" for Motorrad Magazine, see https://www.facebook.com/pg/kardesignuk/posts/
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'd just start looking at building up a CB500X Rally Raid...it exists and is modern.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Nice tracking down work.

Yep Ride Apart is kinda a gossip column at times with speculation, right up there with MCN photoshops.

The difference is MCN creates those speculation images. Best I can tell Ride Apart just poaches stuff from elsewhere to create articles.

The funny thing is how those images then later get passed around as "real"

Once one website posts it, seems all the rest must chime in and say something to have content and be relevant.

Like anything these days, it's all about getting eyeballs to pay attention to you.
    RedEX and Dutch idiot like this.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Say what?
    You of all critical thinkers out there are staying something like that as a done deal?

Are you drinking at the moment?
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    KlX400 is just a DRZ as you know.

Seems Kawi uses X & R for thumpers and E for twins or atleast so in the past.

Anything is possible however as Honda leaned into CRF thumper naming for the AT twin.

CRF carries name weight, Tenere carries name weight.

That is why I think Kawi is going with KLR for the name weight. It has more than KLE imo no matter what this new bike is.

We shall see...unicorn onwards!
    11motos likes this.
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I wonder if Kawasaki corporate employees have been reading this and laughing these past 3 years?
    Bt10, GhettoCanuck and DavidM1 like this.
  13. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    When the renders appeared at Adv Rider in https://advrider.com/kawasaki-klx700-renderings-and-rumors/ they had this to say about them: "A few weeks ago a very well executed Photoshop image started circulating around the internet. I tried to track down the original creator but it has only led me in a circular pattern. US online mags (Rideapart and Visordown) point towards an Italian online mag (OmniMoto), which points to a German online mag (Das Motorrad). Das Motorrad doesn’t seem to have any relation at all to the photo. As a result, I can only credit the photo to 'Unknown Internet Photoshop Genius'." Hmmm ... it took me about 10 minutes to identify the studio that created them.
    Dutch idiot, flexiflyer and eakins like this.
  14. flexiflyer

flexiflyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3qe9tn.jpg
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've looked at building one.. then got Superdual. Cheaper, lighter, more suspension and horsepower. And you don't need to build: all farkles from the store.
    Dutch idiot and eakins like this.
  16. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    The vx 300 is sold out in many dealers in south America so no doubt the people are ready for the nextgen.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just hope they spec suspension comparable to 390 ADV if not 7" at least 6" front 7' rear.
  18. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    nah,
    I wish the VX400 (or even a T-400 or a Strom 400, or something like that. whoever comes first) would be here but if I was given the choice to grab a couple of KLEs that would be fine.
    I would refurbish them to my style and make great machines out of them. I am asking two because I ride in the US and Europe and keep bikes in both places and that way
    I have a backup for when my brother visits to go in the same type of vehicle that has advantages in terms of maintenance and simplification with
    the smaller bikes. we are both in the simplification process getting rid of the large bikes that are mostly catching dust anyway.

I think the KLE, even with carbs, might be a better bike than other current more obvious choices and that bike didn't get as much attention due to the average style and sound and obviously
    put to death but the draconian BS Euro laws, but it is afterall a ninja 500 that well tuned have been known to put out 52 ponies and 47 at the wheel that is perfect for this.
    Now, with all that said, the are benefits from the EFI alone and for the typical use but while not perfect the KLE is in deed a great bike.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  19. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    I agree. But at this point I don't care also seeing the very simple retrofits people have in store for factory suspensions and the great assortment of tires for 19+17 rims.
    I just want the pedigree and legendary reliability and low cost of ownership of a well proven japanese engine, in this case possibly the best twin in this small displacement category.
    Bullwinkle likes this.
  20. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Why we don't write them a letter? seriously, track down product development and tell them wtf with some nice ideas.
    What is the worse it can happen, that they toss it in the trash and/or never acknowledge or reply?