1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bt10 and Gustavo like this.
  2. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I think you got confused, that's a concept drawing of the Yamaha unicorn. Everyone knows Kawasaki unicorns are green... :deal

:lol3

Gustavo
    ScooterJeff likes this.
  3. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s camouflage to keep competition from getting knowledge of their design too soon.
    TimmyTheHog likes this.
  4. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did a side by side comparison with the existing VX300. It seems like this unicorn only has 5.4" of front travel. Why would they go to this effort and only have 5.4"??? Between that and the cast hooves, I'm out. I'll just have to wait for a true unicorn to arrive so I can take myself, my 400#bride, and 80# of gear on hardcore singletrack and then cruise 95mph on highway back home.
  5. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Ask for the VX-400 here.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Contact/Online

What type of speculation do you like anyway? We have plenty of it back in the warehouse at a one time offer price of zerohundred thousand dollars and zerozero cents.
  6. 98940

98940 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :hide

Attached Files:

cyclopathic and RedEX like this.
  7. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Kawi will have had three years to make the X 400.

KTM left themselves exposed with the soft Roadie 390.
    When they make the 21/18 package for 2021,the X 400 can be right there , or better yet, the KLR400 (same engine).

Currently the 390 is $6,199.
    I'm sure she will go up $300 for 2021.

Then there is the 21/18 R model. Which could be just $6,999!

I don't think Kawi can match the electricteonics.
    So, suspension and and handling and the P Twin is going to have to do the heavylifting.
    If they could be $500 cheaper that would be nice. Not sure if they can.
    ag_streak likes this.
  8. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    We can hope. I'm not at all attracted to the KTM. The VX300 looks nicer, IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    By "heavy lifting" you mean "to be competitive", right?

The other major factor people will consider is weight. The (single cylinder) KTM 390 Adv is listed at 348 lbs dry. About the same as a DR650. The bike I will compare any new Kawasaki 400 (twin cylinder) to is the CB500X. It's about 434 lbs wet, about the same as a KLR650.

Most likely, the Kawi 400 engine will have a little less torque than the Honda 500, so the question is, how much less can it weigh, to offset the torque advantage of the Honda?

When Kawasaki created the Ninja 400, it weighed a bit less than the Ninja 300. The Versys X-300 is about 385 lbs. So can Kawasaki make the X400/KLR400 come in under 400 pounds? Seems so!
  10. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the her reliable P. Twin of the Ninja is going to be the best part of the package.

Cycle World took out the Roadie 390 ADV and put her on their scales.
    Just 389lbs.!
    3.8 gallon tank topped off.
    Crash bars.

Imagine that, a bike that is basically 80% of what the DL650 can do in the highway.
    Much better every where else. Dirt mode ABS. Leaning ABS. slipper clutch deal.
    Blue tooth.
    Granted, the range is less on the KTM.

And is 85lbs lighter and
    Thousands less. $2,699 actually.

So, if new 400 p. Twin can stay a few hundred less than the KTM, and just offer a 12 volt socket, that should be enough. Mass should be about the same.
    TimmyTheHog and Bt10 like this.
  11. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    While I think the 390ADV looks neat, I'm not entirely convinced it can't do anything a 2017+ model CRF250L Rally can on the road while lacking all of the dirt-ready stuff the 250RL comes with from the factory. Would love to test ride one and be proven wrong - if nothing else the little KTMs seem far more interesting to me than the BMW G310s
  12. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    Going from a dyno based 21hp and 14lbft for the crf to 37hp and 23lbft for the 390, would make a big difference on the road with the weights being within 40lbs of eachother. About 15 to 20mph difference based on reviews who referenced top cruise speeds.

Greg
  13. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ninja 400 curb weight is 370 pounds compared with Ninja 300 which was 385. If Kawasaki made a Versys-X 400 I can't see how it would weigh over 400 lbs.
    TimmyTheHog and ag_streak like this.
  14. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    No chance she would be over 400lbs.
    Agreed.
  15. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    I can cruise mine at 70-75 mph all day, and I'm amazed at how few people believe that's the case. Yes, there's not a ton of wiggle room for passing, but I can, and frankly it's the dirt that makes the difference here
    rideforzen and Fuzzy74 like this.
  16. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get similar sentiments when I say that my klx250 does highway just fine... I think it may be due to the fact that a lot of people are considerably heavier than myself. I'm all about that power to weight ratio ;)
    Dutch idiot and Hamamelis like this.
  17. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Being 175 lbs* before gear, this checks out. I'm heavy enough that the bike does eventually need a visit from Dr. Racetech before I go on any really long dirt-heavy tours like a BDR or the TAT, given most of the cost savings on that bike are suspension-based, but the rest of the CRF-RL is brilliant as a modest compromise.

(*and shrinking, slowly, given I've actually lost weight and gained muscle due to using my first ever successful long-term regime of home workouts as my main self-imposed anti-cabin-fever prescription)
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I was shocked myself after trying one. Unfortunately it won't be the case if you have to cross plains I have ridden into wind where 70hp wasn't enough to maintain 60mph regardless of gear. That and extended time on interstate everywhere else it will be fine.

Honda really dropped the ball when they made a CRF 450L. Instead of 43hp CRF 250L with stiffer springs they made a excf 500 wannabe.. at KTM prices and oil change intervals at every gas stop.
  19. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I will say, I mostly use the CRF Rally on the East coast, and if I lived somewhere like the Plains or the High Desert where a) basic highway traffic goes at a higher speed and b) weather is more extreme, it'd be a much taller ask

That said, there are also plenty of places in the world where you never need to even break 70 mph, and so it'd be a fantastic RTW machine
  20. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the CRF250L and Rally would be good RTW machines, chugging along, doing the job, economical. But I want a bit more fun occasionally from another 20hp or so, at not much more weight.

I don't think my adventuring will ever include riding across prairies into a heavy head wind. And I ruled out Patagonia as a destination some time ago.
    Europe and its fringes are really my stomping ground.

The Honda is a nice little bike and 21" front wheel is one of my requirements (though tubeless is preferable). But a unicorn has at least 45hp, IMO. And I don't really need a twin - I'm only desiring a VX400 in desperation, and the engine exists.
    ag_streak likes this.