1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You must love cleaning spokes a whole lot more than I do. :(

...ken...
  2. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I wonder what Covid-19 is going to do to Kawasakis plans for this year, with Japan & Thailand both affected. Also how many dealers are going to be still around at the end of this.
  3. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    yeah that’s a bummer for sure. My 07 Triumph Scrambler had shiny chrome spoked wheels which were a real pain to clean. These are a duller finish so they are easier but I get you on that aspect.
  4. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Ken,
    Did you see that video I posted earlier on this thread of the VX300 climbing the Quiriri Sierra in Brazil?
    All that guy did to the VX was a new muffler (optional), use a thicker oil in the front forks, a tad larger crown and a strong bash plate.
    Some of those rocks, ruts and washes will eventually break cast rims. That is why nobody goes in those trails with cast rims.

But one doesn't have to be doing enduro or table top jumps to bust the rims. The track record of those bmw's above as well as the
    ktm cast rims is not really that great so far...

https://www.rc390-forum.com/threads/rim-weights.3305/

With bikes like the honda CB500x and BMW 310 there is a company called Rally Raid that the first thing they recommend are their spoke wheels
    and then they also have suspension upgrades and a few other things. Once you are done the bike is quite expensive and it is not like they are great bikes to start
    with given weight and other characteristics. In that case a T7 makes more sense to start with.

If one is not going to use the bike for off road adventure then that is another story. BMW has said that 90% of their adventure motorcycle riders never touch
    the dirt but they keep buying those bikes anyway. I am convinced one of the biggest advantages of a lighter adv bike is its agility, specially in harder
    places where the weight becomes a hindering factor. Those are most likely the places where the spoke tires are needed.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  5. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whats a larger crown?
  6. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Sorry I wanted to say rear sprocket. sorry for the confusion.

Dutch idiot likes this.
  7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Enthusiastic curmudgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once again, I appreciate the respectful discussion, this time regarding spoked versus cast wheels, each side bringing their point-of-view without implying the other is out-to-lunch.

In this case, I'm more inclined to Ken's posit preferring cast wheels for cleaning, maintenance and flat mitigation, etc. Like Ken, I'm long past the stage where I'll be going off-road fast or lumpy enough to realize any advantage in spokes, at least on anything I could possibly turn a VX300 into. We've both done serious dirt, cross-country and mountain blitzing at speeds and terrain that would have destroyed cast wheels many times over, but on purpose built bikes. At the same time, I've taken my road bikes/cast wheels to many of the same places, albeit at much slower speeds and never bent a rim. Another factor is that I've never felt the need to "air down" when doing so.

**For those wishing to run tubeless, you can indeed seal your spoked rim and eliminate the tube, but it's important to note that the rims may not have a safety bead, and airing down in such a situation may cause the tire to dismount with undesirable consequences.**

Ideally, manufacturers would offer the choice of spokes or cast, as BMW did for a period of time with some of their GS models. Otherwise, it is necessary to rely on the aftermarket which may not exist (i.e. does anybody make 19"/17" cast wheels to fit the VX?), or represent an additional, perhaps very expensive cost.

But hey, I bought the VX300 despite the spokes, and I wouldn't hesitate a microsecond to jump to a VX400 if it came with spokes. But FWIW, my unicorn would have cast wheels.

JP
    RedEX, Hamamelis and Gustavo like this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cleaning? I'll have to look up that word in dictionary..
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    When the rim gets damaged it is usually for specific reason. Yes spoked wheels can absorb impact better, but the reason to have impact in the first place is lacking suspension and/or insufficient tire pressure. Damage happens during high speed impact when suspension blows through the travel. Rocks, ruts and washes are ridden at lower speeds so chances of that happening alot lower.

The friend of mine broke 19 spokes on rear wheel in Africa, he was trying to catch up with friends and ran into road crack at 100mph. Crack turned out to be 3' wide he saw it too late.

If laçk of spoked wheels is the only reason stopping you from getting 390 ADV factory wheels are available as dealer option, bike could be pre-ordered with spoked wheels.
    Dutch idiot and Bullwinkle like this.
  10. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately that would be a retrograde step for me from my current overweight unicorn which has 21"/17" spoked and tubeless.
    Do any bikes have a 21" front cast?
  11. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    If the pressure washer doesn't take it off.... It stays.
  12. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    I will confess, as much as I lionize the CRF Rally in these threads here and elsewhere (250 singles are the bedrock of moto culture dammit), the VX300 might actually be a more appropriate bike for my own personal needs some days. It's a damn fine bike for just about anyone who has few ambitions of single-track during their ADV tour, and I could see one being plenty viable on the TAT or even the milder BDRs.

And don't forget, someone finished the Iron Butt Rally on a near-stock one!
  13. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    I’d rather be on my KLX on single track than the Vx or even my heavier Rally. The Vx carves up back hwys and handles dirt roads admirably, surprisingly well, in fact.

I bet that Iron Butt wasn’t on a bare stock seat. :D
  14. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Emphasis on "few ambitions", haha.

And yes, the seat was one of the scant few mods applied, I believe the engine mechanicals were entirely unaltered though
    twaldron likes this.
  15. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    I misread your post as “a few ambitions”, sorry!

Not sure what his speeds were, but that bike will run all day long at 85mph indicated. It’s a great motor. I’m still trying to convince myself it’s a 300. :lol3
  16. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Yeah those IBA rallies are more about endurance over time, both physical and mental, than raw speed

It's incredible how well-tuned contemporary small motors are, as a class - even a rather mildly tuned single like the 2017+ 250L motor is plenty tractable across its full rev range. Most of these bikes don't even hugely benefit from aftermarket tunes unless you're putting them on a racetrack*!

*(Edit for clarity - implying there that these motors are also largely found in 250-400cc class racebikes)
  17. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    They will be fine. Japan, especially.

Unlike 2008, when it was 100% financial and economical where the business told the people, sorry no jobs.
    This time we are telling the business, sorry it's too unsafe to work. When I say we, I mean the elected politicians that are in charge, which we voted to put in office.
    So, the businesses are under red flag conditions on a nice sunny day.
    In 2008, the entire track blew up and took out all of the riders,and some fans in turns 10 and 11.

As more people put down signs that read, "save our lives" and pick up signs that read "save our community" we will go back to work with smart mitigations and except one more risk out there that could destroy us.

FWIW, just Friday I called a dealership and they said business was fantastic.
    Riders have more time to get back into the hobby, no local Sheriff would dare put up road blocks and ask why citizens are out side. Plus, lots of people are still working,and many know they will come back to work soon.

Unlike 2008, which was years of bad times ,this will blow over by the late summer (but many small businesses and non-profits will not make it). Mainly because of the testing and treatments and stuff which will cause people to shrug it off and take one more risk when they leave their front porch.... to go pay bills and support a family.
    And of course the Silver Bullet is fast approaching.
    The vaccine.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  18. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would have said red flag, but nice comparison....

:lol3
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is debatable; Spanish flu which originated in Texas lasted 3-4 years and the 2nd wave was much worse.

They don't expect vaccine until 2021 so even if some quarantine measures are lifted it won't go back to usual until they can test 100% for antibodies.. and have effective treatment.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  20. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:

Ohh, it is red flag. I knew Black flag was not right. Black flag is when you a single rider gets called into the pits for a penalty lap, or they have to stay on pit road for a while.