1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    the smily thing at the end means a bit of a joke.... BUT... the KLX650 does have a perimeter frame, yes its a diff' design but the concept is.... the same
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was discussed in this thread long time ago. One of the reasons kwak went to this frame design on N400 is because it is cheaper and easier to manufacture; simpler parts in simpler jigs instead of putting complex bent pieces into one jig. It would allow modularity and sharing subframes between N400 and VX4 were while N300 and VX3 frames looked almost identical required absolutely new jigs.

I hope kwak learned from 390 Duke/Z400 that being a few bucks cheaper while seriously under-spec'ing will not sell many bikes and will put half decent suspension and off-road ABS on VX4 standard.
  3. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    that is one simple frame.
  4. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Almost simple enough to make a vx4?

:amazon

:hide

:beer
  5. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    They want to improve the combustion efficiency since the one now is good but it has to be constricted to meet the Euro4 nonsense draconian laws for motorcycles.
    So they cannot do that anymore with the previous engine. Same problem for all other makers. Lots of complexities for no demonstrable gain for the customer, manufacturer and/or the environment.
    Wallachian Spikes and SoManyFish like this.
  6. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    IMO, They both cover the same basic parameters with the 400 leaning more on the engine as a stress member of the group.
    It is just hard to visualize w/o the mounting plates of the 400 that are not included in that picture.
    Even if they include a few extra tubes for reinforcement those are normally a small amount of weight.
    I do not care if the bike is 168, 173 or 178kg. What I don't wan for sure is another 220kg over-engineered and over-powered whale. We have plenty of those.
    ..and there is no indication a VX400 should have to drastically depart from the original directives that make the VX300 so attractive.
  7. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ninja 400 / Z400 engine already meets Euro5, and the max power output of the engine (installed in Ninja 400 / Z400) produces the maximum amount of power allowed under the UK/EU A2 license scheme. I cannot see Kawi making any substantial changes to the engine because it is a very new engine design that doesn't need to be improved to emission standards or performance criteria. Ninja 400 dashboard is very similar to VX 300's but has been updated to TFT. LED lighting? Yes, please!
    11motos likes this.
  8. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    TFT dash?? Brilliant! That's one of the few things on my wishlist for a VX400:

- 400cc engine (of course)
    - cast wheels
    - TFT dash
    - self-cancelling signals
    - real cruise control.

Yeah, I know ... that's all of zero interest to anyone who wants to get it nice and dirty. I'm just interested in the bike as a really great all around all purpose motorcycle that I can ride mainly on the highway with occasional easy tootles down a dirt road or easy single track if the mood strikes. LED lights would be a nice touch but mostly lost on me. My night vision is to the point where I avoid riding after dark whenever possible. And it's almost always possible for me.

...ken...
    yokesman likes this.
  9. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    +1 ...and it is a sub 400c for the global markets (India for example) cheaper insurance and everything else.
    And we do not need nor want more power than the 400 anyway. Nothing else is needed that compromises simplicity and attractive weight that is
    one of the most important attributes for an Adventure motorcycle. Adventure meaning those who actually intend to go on the dirt and look for a true overlander.
    one or two extra inches of travel would be the cherry on top of that 400 engine cake.

Otherwise:
    Yamaha T400 .... 398cc new R3 engine twin
    Suzuki DR400 ...small Suzuki oil cooled Twin
    Honda 400 .Africa Queen ...the CB500x is too heavy and w/o spokes.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I meant is Kawasaki should be winding down VX3 production and gearing up for VX4 right now; not the technical side. If they are there should be some leaks about it.
  11. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I misinterpreted your posting. I agree, if VX4 is greenlighted for the 2021 model year then Kawi should be gearing up for production but we've heard nary a hint of that. I read in some other forums that some Kawi Dealers have indicated to prospective customers that production on Versys-X 300 has ceased but the postings are unclear as to whether that refers to ceasing production of 2020 model year Versys-X 300 or if it refers to ceasing all production of Versys-X 300.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  12. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    A
    +1 ... And less plastic, can we please have less plastic? Changing the headlamp of Versys-X 300 involves removing so much plastic it is akin to peeling an onion. And that plastic is brittle and expensive to replace.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  13. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I may throw my $.02 in here, I like the fairings for wind management, so more flexible plastic like dirt bikes and more intuitive fasteners would be my wish.:beer
  14. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, but remember that winding down the production of a particular model can be done for a variety of reasons, not just that a replacement model is waiting in the wings. For example, a glut of units in the retail supply chain. IIRC, there were no 2010 MY of several Suzuki bikes due to the economy and low sales/demand.
    Hamamelis and SoManyFish like this.
  15. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    btw... since we are asking please add a nice rack/flat countertop.
    I am tired of running out of space for dinner! lol...

upload_2020-5-15_17-8-20.png
    yokesman, Bullwinkle and SoManyFish like this.
  16. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 300 already has an excellent rack. A couple of scraps of plywood and a couple of hinges and you're in [lunch] business.

...ken...
    ScooterJeff, 11motos and Fuzzy74 like this.
  17. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    I heard the new GS1200 comes with an optional fridge, grill, minibar and two group espresso machine. lol
    manybike and ScooterJeff like this.
  18. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW is the right platform for the minibar. Nobody who rides a Japanese MC will pay minibar prices for their snacks.
  19. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it costs more than a (free) milk crate, it's too rich for my blood! :beer
  20. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    I had enough issues with BMW, both bike and car to know better.
    It is not they are horrible but for sure the are not what they used to be quality wise 20-30yrs. ago.
    In CRs they are at the bottom of the list, not as bad as Mercedes/Chrysler in the cars though.
    Dutch idiot likes this.