1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! I remember stopping on a soft shoulder, two-up on the V-Strom and missing my footing. It was almost comical, as I commanded to my wife over the helmet intercom, "Better jump off 'cause we're going down!" We had passed the tipping point and there was no bringing it back,as the bike slowly dropped onto its right side. (Luckily, I was JUST able to get it picked up, and avoid embarrasssment, before the next vehicles came by! :D)
    DavidM1 likes this.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    As much as I dislike KTM you can't beat this.. 387lbs for $6200. If kwak chokes up VX 400 it's better be as good.
  3. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Coincidentally 40-50hp is more than plenty for any bike on this adventure category.
    The key is simplicity and the weight to keep it below 175-180kg wet, and obviously some decent suspensions.
    It is basically the same song we have been singing from post #1.
    The fact that a bike like that falls into thos displacement/power categories in terms of lower cost of insurance and ownership is only going
    to help to have a platform that will be more popular and widely adopted in a global market.
    This is also a huge consideration when doing long adventure trips. Like for example a KLR, parts and support are found all over the planet.
    I think KLRs are still deployed for local police too all over??:twitch.

So imagine, a modern "KLR" that is lighter and modernized and the working man can afford.... :D
  4. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How do you do that? I always manage to time it when the most traffic is coming by and usually includes some motorcycles. :muutt

...ken...
    RedEX likes this.
  5. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am also not a fan of KTM but I have to admit that with the 390 ADV they have set the bar pretty high for a 400 cc class ADV bike. It is a very well-featured bike that at an "entry level" price point is going to be difficult for Kawasaki (or any other company) to best.
  6. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    7” of travel would be nice but I’d rather have a Kaw twin in my unicorn than that KTM single.
  7. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I rather have the Kawi twin too. I'm not a fan of the KTM single and KTM reliability, while much-improved these last few years, is still a showstopper for me.
  8. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Enthusiastic curmudgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes
    And KTM dealers are a lot thinner on the ground, especially in these parts. While long time Honda dealer Alsport, in Regina handles them, I can't shake the feeling that the KTM franchise could dry up and blow away like other marginal brands have before them.

JP
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd rather have a bike now then sit on coach and wait another 5 years like T700 future owners did. I owned more kawis than any other brand but my patience runs thin.

KTM owners are suckers for bling I'm guessing there will be a bunch of cheaply priced 390ADV when 590ADV rolls out in a couple years.
  10. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    And that’s why I bought my Vx in 2017 :-)
    rideforzen, RedEX, Bullwinkle and 2 others like this.
  11. andybj

andybj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if you are refering to the specific dealer or the brand as a whole, but KTM is not a marginal brand, and it is not going anywhere (at least anytime soon). What some euro brands (especially KTM) is doing is very similar to what the Japanese brands did with the British bikes back in the 60's. They are starting to really give them a run for their money.

Signed, a long-time Japanese moto fan.
  12. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's when I tend to drop it - coming to a halt too casually after too long in the saddle.
    RedEX likes this.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if this is even a factor anymore. First parts available online; second I enjoy working on bike; third a couple Honda/Kawasaki/etc dealerships close by with service department I would trust bike to would gladly service other brands. The only reason you would have to do dealer is for warranty or for something like flushing ECU.. how often you'd need that?

Or are you a type who doesn't put non-bmw oil in his bimmer?
  14. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    KTM road bikes may not be huge sellers but, they absolutely rule the off road world. Go to any off road event/organized ride & it's a sea of Orange with easily 4-5 KTM's for every Japanese bike of any brand. It seems to me that there are more KTM dealers around now than when I bought my '05 450 EXC. I suspect we'll see more KTM dealers rather than less, even though I'll probably never buy another one.
  15. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll let Bullwinkle reply to the snarky comment about self-maintenance himself, but the point of his comment was that they're few and far between around here so if/when you need one there's a good chance there won't be one. And mail order isn't going to do one bit of good when you're on the road.

...ken...
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny thing that 390 ADV made more HP on Cycleworld dyno than 500exc.. obviously very different bikes but for adventure riding you don't want full dualsport and it cames at fraction of cost.

Looking at the history hard to expect kwak will match 390 in electronics and suspension department. Yes Ninja 400 engine is good and I wouldn't care about electronics maybe switchable ABS but suspension is definitely downer.. try to upgrade it and you end up paying more than 390adv cost.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bag to disagree. For one dealerships nowadays don't keep bike specific parts in stock so will have to overnight regardless. Then it makes very little difference if it's dealer or just a shop.

As for DIY you can order and mail parts to Amazon locker or shop, friend ahead of you I have done it on multiple occasions. Yes I would carry a front sprocket and rear brake pads but that's about it.
  18. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Enthusiastic curmudgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perhaps labelling KTM a "marginal" brand was unfortunate. They HAVE made huge gains, especially in the off-road and adventure market, and may be here to stay, but I still see them as the new kid on the block. In the past, I have eyed Cagiva, Moto-Guzzi, Ducati (the latter 2, multiple times), Buell, Can-Am, Husqvarna and others as they have launched on our marketplace with new and enticing offerings, including signing up a fragmentary dealer network, only to effectively disappear within a year or two. The loss of a dealer/franchise affects a lot more than the availability of service and parts, but also referrals, re-sale values, good will and trust, even if the brand endures.

And @cyclopathic , I have historically always done my own maintenance and repairs, and only usually require a dealer for warranty or purchase/trade-in. I will use them occasionally for parts and possibly service to maintain a positive relationship and support. Sometimes, that even includes buying their oil... :fitz:D

I'm quite willing to consider I'm being unfair to KTM, and their 390 ADV has me very interested. However, lacking familiarity with the brand, I hear the numerous comments about their quality and reliability, and notice the few friends that have owned them don't anymore. The end result being I'm not ready to pick one up yet. Fortunately, I'm very happy with the VX300, and am content to wait (for now) for the VX400.

JP :beer
    andybj likes this.
  19. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    I see KTM have shops in Baku and Almaty, and I was surprised to see one in Fethiye, Turkey. Pretty handy for RTW (or to the Stans and back).

If I were to contemplate orange, I'd wait for the 490.
  20. andybj

andybj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think you're being unfair. Ya know the old saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" That's a good way to look at Kawi. You already know they make good products. Why chance it on a brand that's new to YOU? I get it.

I can only speak for my area, but KTM is not an "off brand". At least, not anymore. I don't know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me that there are more KTM dealers in my state (Colorado) then Kawi dealers, but that to me is worthless because dealers never have what I need in stock anyway, and it's more expensive then online shops and usually take longer to get!

I've had bikes from all four Japanese brands, and 4 KTM's now. Maybe I've been lucky, but so far they've given me fewer problems then the Japanese bikes I've owned!

Every brand has better and worse models, every brand can sell lemons, and no brand is exempt from issues. I hear you on being uncomfortable with smaller brands, I really wanted a gas gas pampera for a while, but was scared about parts availability.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Japanese brands are bad quality (they are certainly NOT), and i'm also not saying KTM makes more reliable bikes then the Japanese brands. One thing I do know for sure, is that KTM seems to care about their customers a lot more then other brands in terms of product development. They seem to actually listen to what people want, and give their models constant updates instead of selling say a KLR650, DRZ400, WR250R, XR650L for DECADES without change. The Japanese seem to make what THEY think we should want. Sometimes they're right, Many times they are not. I really do appreciate KTM for this.

Personal experience is the ONLY way to REALLY learn how good a bike is. My personal experience tells me that Japanese bikes reliability is over-rated. I would not classify myself as a KTM fan-boy. I really do like Jap bikes, they make excellent machines!

In any case, the Versys 400 would be a sweet bike!
    Bullwinkle likes this.