Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    X-Country is a unicorn; it is a scrambler styled X-Challenge with lower seat and shorter suspension. Otherwise it is like X-Challenge a lighter premium version of Husqvarna Terra. It was produced 2007-2009 rare find; you can see them from time to time. List wet weight is 160kg/354lbs.. mine is 400lbs fully adventurized with heavy duty bash plate, guards, side racks and additional 5L tank (stock 9.5L). After putting 12k on it I decided to keep it though if my SWM Superdual comes back to states it will be on chopping block. Bikes pretty much close cousins, identical ergos, similar components but SD has bigger tank, adjustable fork and smoother engine.. Rotax just gets buzzy at highway speeds.

As for dualsports have you looked at 450-500cc bikes? CRF 450L, Beta 500, SWM RS500? Dirt bike magazine is doing 2020 shootout check their reviews on YouTube. And of cause there's always DRZ 400 and DR.
  2. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    If you have to dig down to the KLR to argue KTM has equal quality, you’re not making much of a case. Just sayin’.
  3. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    I almost bought an X-Challenge but I missed the deep discounts at the end of the run and the used ones didn’t follow suit, so I passed.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was offered to test-ride one; couldn't take it off kickstand 37" seat height had something to do with it . As for the bike as with all 652cc Rotax you have to deal with water pump leak. Easy fix except on X to take cover off to get to it you need to take swingarm off and disassemble frame on left side.. german engineering at best.

As for KTM not company, not all bikes just 390 specifically. Doesn't seem there is much in terms of failures except for head gasket leaks but that was fixed with 2018 redesign.
    twaldron likes this.
  5. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    I kind of feel like I dodged a bullet on the X-Challenge thing, and also on the thought of buying a Sertao a few years later, which also never materialized.
  6. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
  7. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Needs to make those silver panels (Uggh!) nice and black. Dump the spokes and make them cast. Straighten the exhaust out to get it out of the way of bags. In the interest of weight savings, drop the crash bars and skid plate. Even as conceived in this picture it's only a serious log hopper in your dreams. And if you really are dying for a place to mount auxiliary lights there's gotta be a lighter way to do it than full crash bars.

IMHO, of course.

...ken...
  8. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I mounted crash bars just so I could have highway pegs. Tried them for the first time today and they were great. Makes long days much easier for me.
  9. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Bullwinkle did the same. I still think there's gotta be a lot lighter, less complicated way to mount them. But it's certainly easy if you're into some farkling anyway.

...ken...
  10. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think something could be rigged either with frame sliders or frame slider mounting studs. I googled and googled and couldn't find where anyone else had done it.
  11. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
  12. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't worry Ken, I hopped on photoshop and designed the bike you describe!
    rebel_500_13098_1098matte_armored_silver_front.png
    ScooterJeff likes this.
  13. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Thanks! But for the record you wouldn't get me within a country mile of something like that. My back hurts just looking at the riding position. The only [marginally] positive thing I can see about it is the seat height.

IMHO. :kbasa2

...ken...
  14. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Normally I would be inclined to agree with you on the comfort of a "cruiser-style" seating position, but after looking it up I'm not so sure in the case of the rebel...

2017-Honda-Rebel-500-test-ride-review_1.jpg
    WING1106_cover.jpg

Dare I say it looks almost comfortable?

Of course this is far off topic but I'm quite certain that I'm not taking up website space where some juicy new versys 400 news would otherwise be :lol3
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    On 650GS waterpump is an easy fix you just take 2 bolts and remove left peg mount bracket.. on X one bolt isn't accessible. If I ever get to the point it has to be messed with I'll look into doing something about it.

Waterpump on 652 Rotax according to some is a "20k maintenance item". Bad design no bearing; shaft held in place by 2 seals.. it's worse than KTM o-ring thing and Rotax hasn't fixed it it has been there since early 90s. On some bikes they go 60k+ without issues on others 20k tops. Supposedly later Chinese made engines have it fixed but I don't see how maybe harder shaft?.

When I got bike at 21k there were no leaks I decided to be proactive and replaced just seals which you can do without removing cover. But if shaft scared yes SoL.

Still despite this bike's well worth it VX4 and 390 Adventure will be just equal to X. 390 ADV is -10hp +electronic bling and you don't have to respring rear and put additional tank as stock 14.5L should be good for ~200mi range if consumption is similar.

If I needed a small Adventure bike now it would be a choice between SWM Superdual or 390 ADV new or Husky Terra and BMW X-Country used with used VX 300 and 650GS distant 3rd. Maybe DR 650 and CRF 250 Rally or Himalayan as a last ditch. All bikes have pros and cons question is if you can live with them good luck.
    Dutch idiot and twaldron like this.
  16. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    That Honda Rebel 500 needs a rack for the bread basket.
  17. flexiflyer

flexiflyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    13e2cf2d0601b5659b89e757cb9b8739.jpg
    MORE NEW MODELS COMING JULY 7
    Our 2021 lineup keeps growing! Stay tuned for more new and exciting models, arriving July 7.

:lurk
    DavidM1 and ag_streak like this.
  18. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like wire wheels.
    ag_streak likes this.
  19. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Got the email too. Said off road units will be introduced first. Guess we are still waiting....
  20. Robotaz

Robotaz Adrenalin Freak

Oddometer:
    3600 posts about a bike that doesn’t exist.

I wish Kawasaki would make one just to get this participated thread out of my feed.