1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    I also agree. Bummer - we're not looking for the same old slightly updated dirt bikes.
  2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Enthusiastic curmudgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are we all so hungry for the VX4 that we've lost our otherwise acute Photoshop spotting skills? The 4 motorcycles in the pic are the EXACT same photo (X 4).

So, the speculations that come to my mind are:
    1. Is this even an official Kawasaki release?
    2. Hopefully Kawasaki is not so crass as to hint at 4 new m/cs that are all the exact same so one might assume these pics are merely placeholders.
    3. Since the pics are thus assumed to be placeholders, can we jump to the conclusion that only 4 new bikes are coming? Can we even assume they are all of one ilk (i.e. dirt, street, etc.)

I'm kinda of the mind that this release tells us virtually nothing, so I think we are free to keep wildly speculating.

But I agree, I'm not gonna be too impressed with slightly updated and re-painted, same-o dirt bikes...

JP
    Bt10 likes this.
  3. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    @Bullwinkle, the picture is real. It's posted on Kawasaki's website (https://www.kawasaki.com/), the labels are made up.

Kawasaki says they will reveal the new bikes/UTV's in July (or 33 days from today).

Gustavo
    Bullwinkle likes this.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me ask you this: if they release VX4 with identical upgrades as N3 to N4 (engine, LED light, 13lbs lighter) would you buy it? trade your wee for?
  5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Enthusiastic curmudgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty much in a heartbeat, sight unseen.

Okay, I guess I'd want to see it first. A picture would probably do.

JP
  6. Fuzzy74

Fuzzy74 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would want to but hard to justify cash outlay. Not just depreciation of 300x, but all my upgrades probably won't fit.
  7. VDZride

VDZride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If Gustavo is correct about Kawasaki just beefing up the graphics on dirt bikes the 390 will compliment my Vee2.
    Something lighter and better handling is what I want. Ergo, seat, etc. can be fixed.
  8. dancingweasel

dancingweasel Virtual Tourist

Oddometer:
    I see the photo isn't on the Kawasaki UK web site. Does that mean they are just rehashed or new-to-America models? Also, they all have knobblies, not what I want from a VX4, so all in all, I think I'm going to be disappointed. There might still be hope - I'm holding out for the EIMCA this November.
  9. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    May not trade the Wee for it initially, but I'd probably buy one. If it turned out to work well on the longer trips I take too, then the Wee would probably go to a new owner.

Gustavo
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me if it comes with the same level suspension (less than wee!) it just doesn't make sense; have 2 better bikes already. Heck even stock v390 ADV is better for not much more money.

Spoked wheel argument on 5" suspension doesn't hold water IMHO.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  11. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As for the Kawasaki web site picture, none of the bikes are the VX400. Simple fact, look at the front tires on all 4 bikes, knobbies/dualsport. Now look what type of tire comes on VX300, basically a street tire.
  12. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure we can take anything from that picture. As @Bullwinkle pointed out, it's almost certainly Photoshopped. We need to remember that Kawasaki's advertising department is probably just as good at using Photoshop to hack together advertising material as anyone. The point is to create what the industry calls a "teaser" that primes the speculation pump but doesn't give anything away. They've clearly been successful!

I'm sure this same sort of "analysis" is going on in other fora for other hoped-for Kawasaki models that might fit under those covers.

...ken...
    cyclopathic likes this.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could be N400 powered KLR replacement then knobby justified.
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  14. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Slightly updated and repainted same-old bikes is more of an HD thing.
    Bullwinkle likes this.
  15. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    So, anxiously waiting for July 7.
    Bullwinkle and Fla_Dawg like this.
  16. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Way to keep the thread alive! :D
    DavidM1 likes this.
  17. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve long been a proponent of companies making and saving money by reducing part number count. A year ago, GM was advertising they had 20 trims of a Silverado 1500, and their price was the highest per work capability. I see they’ve dropped to about 8 trims and $10k price drop per work capability. My independent bike mechanic was eyeing my versys and I explained we’re all waiting for the vx4 (he doesn’t keep up on new bikes) to “reduce the world wide part number count”. Seems even the executives and shareholders would be pushing “Lean”. :dunno
    RedEX, cyclopathic and ag_streak like this.
  18. Fla_Dawg

Fla_Dawg Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would think in the motorcycle industry if Kawasaki, or any manufacturer, has a new model coming out there would be spy shots and rumors galore. I’d love to be pleasantly surprised though. I’ve been holding off on buying a 2nd bike to compliment my 230 just to see if any new models like a V400x will come out next year. I’ve waited this long, I can wait a couple more months.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    What? pigs gonna fly on that day?
  20. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    That's a Tuesday- weird pick for announcements, ya think?
    There is a certain set of railroad tracks near me, about a 20 foot incline before the actual tracks. If i hit the approach right, accelerating in 2nd gear on the V-Strom, i can catch air over the tracks. So Cyclo, just for you, i will fly my pig on July 7th. :D
    cyclopathic, Bullwinkle and Gustavo like this.