Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Na.....that is the date he is going to be let down AGAIN by Kawasaki and their lack of ADV bike offerings.

I will say the VX300 dropped without any spy shots or pre-production lead ups, wasn't it?
    Also their actual bikes never look like "Countdown" covered ones.

However, having waited for YEARS for a 650 twin or performance 450-650 single from them that I would have thought was due every year.....I dont expect anything but "new" dirt bikes

[​IMG]
    RedEX likes this.
  2. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    They are going lean. They will come out with another version of the H2... :doh

Gustavo
    RedEX likes this.
  3. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Honda coming out with something as well?
    cyclopathic likes this.
  4. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    Here's the thing: Kawasaki will sell far more of those dirt bikes than they probably ever will unicorns. People love dirtbikes, and unicorns are a niche item
    dirtdreamer50 and Ken in Regina like this.
  5. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Historically speaking, Kawasaki has had a tendency to be quiet about upcoming product releases.
    cyclopathic and Bt10 like this.
  6. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    two are flying now, AT and the t7, why not another, the economic climate who can say?
    SoManyFish and Ken in Regina like this.
  7. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    No pigs, please.
  8. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    KLX250 replacement?

Fuel injected single KLR-replacement?

Ninja 400-based twin?

Versys 650-based twin?

I cant wait for July 7th! :beer
  9. zokalr13

zokalr13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    - And dont forget the new KLX300R that will be made street legal:photog
    cyclopathic and ag_streak like this.
  10. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    I don't know Covid has disrupted a lot of things even if the intention was to get something new out this year. A friend who provides services for car dealer
    networks says the car deals are amazing and they are selling a lot of cars but they are running out of them and not getting new ones for a while because
    of the drop in manufacturing 2 months ago.

Also, one would think that with a large forum of global reach there would be someone here from manufacturing from some brands throwing us some candy.
    But no, not a peep. The next logical step is the very similar versys with the ninja 400 engine and even lighter if they can, just like the ninja.
    In my family alone we would be buying 2 (brother and I) or even 3(one cousin who also rides) and if they are based on the same philosophy of the 300.
    We are in the simplification process and trying to reduce weight from all ends: bikes, luggage and riders :-) so this is going to be key.
    If Kawa is not listening to folks and reading the forums then someone else will.
    I don't care if it is a versys 400 or a yamaha T4, honda mini africa twin, or whatever well made no non-sense small twin.
  11. dancingweasel

dancingweasel Virtual Tourist

Oddometer:
    I am waiting for the Unicorn. If it doesn't happen this Autumn, I think I'll go 300. There still seem to be a few new, or low mileage.
    RedEX likes this.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same bike as below just with big bore kit..
  15. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    At the moment they can be used successfully and even "finish" some races but do not seem to be better nor cheaper in the long term.

The main problem with these new chinese OEM brands is that they are rough engines and do not seem to be trouble free and last
    but what is even more problematic is the lack of parts due to everyone making different engine versions and not really having
    a well defined dealer / parts network you can find everywhere.

there are many ways to source old aircooled scooters and honda clone engines but not the new watercooled more costly bikes.
    I would still prefer a DR650 that one can get preowned in good shape for a lot less than a new one of these and with a few
    simple upgrades make it a better motorcycle for any role other than racing.

Being a popular platform from a large reputable manufacturer might seem boring but there are huge benefits in the long run.
    I don't think they are "bad" bikes but I don't really understand the vision of these brands in order to grow and support consumers.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  16. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's definitely my kind of "boring". I love having good dealer and parts availability. It especially pays off when you're on the road in areas that don't have major population centres.

...ken...
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  17. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    That is why many round the world travelers suggest widely popular bikes and engines, most likely smaller 250cc and even smaller bikes.
    That is why the KLR, DR, XT, XR400, Falcon 400 or a few 500, SR250, DR200 and smaller continue to be popular international / long trip bikes.
    It doesn't mean people should not consider others but it explains "the why" many people would go with those that in many cases use parts from other
    models in the given big 4 brand.
    Even rims, calipers, suspension parts, ignition, etc... are shared among different japanese manufacturers and the huge aftermarket associated.

So yes "old", "Not new", "not exciting", ... might be associated with other good things.

Even if they stop the versys 300 there are many all over the world and also share parts with the versys 250, ninja 300 and ninja 250.
    With the popularity of the ninja and Z400 the kawa saga will assure aftermarket and parts for years to come that is what I like.

It is like a modest 500 the Honda CB, suzuki GS and older carburated ninja 500 continue to be great bikes to go all over the place (possibly modified a little)
    because compatible parts and aftermarket are found in every corner of the world and they can be made very decent bikes.

Once you get to certain regions of the world the last thing you want is to be in a super expensive and shiny bike making a statement.
    you want to be in a bike at the same level many or at least some locals can afford so they will see you as a fellow traveller and help you vs.
    a snob that might have to be worried about security and having the bike stolen. It has happened many times so this is not my imagination,
    it is how it works out there.

This October we are planning a 2 bike trip with my brother to Morocco and Algeria and we are going in a CRF 250 L and a 1999 DR 650 following
    the KISS approach. Keep it simple stupid.

If one is not going to travel much or even get much off road (like a 70/30 or more) Then probably one doesn't need to be too worried about
    all these things.

As we are selling other bikes ware also looking at the T7 that might be a good compromise although personally I wish it was 40lbs lighter.
    I do believe that is the sweet spot a 160-180kg bike with no more than 40 to 50hp. no more is needed. then reliability, low cost of ownership,
    mechanical simplicity and simple versatility is more important than complex electronics, delicate styling, exclusivity and all that other non-sense.

I do believe in the world there is a need for a concept bike that is modular and no more than 400cc. Something that could be the legos of motorcycling
    and reliable source of transportation for decades to come. In many ways some bikes have beocome that w/o being intended so not sure why
    we do not get this. I do believe people all over, specially asia, south america and middle east would be all over this concept.
  18. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    That's simple. It would literally be like Lego. Only one manufacturer. If another manufacturer tried to tag onto that particular model, how would they distinguish themselves from the original manufacturer without making something proprietary, which immediately defeats the concept in the first place.

...ken...
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  19. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Every manufacturer can have their own modular system.
    Like I said, many bikes that have been in production for 30+ years already fall in that multi-version, multi-role type of deal but a manufacturer
    could really start this with simple concept built from the bottom up and not from up to bottom.
    For this you need to look at what is also needed all over the world as a workhorse, reliable type of motorcycle.

I am not talking about the most inexpensive, smallest possible bike but something that will allow easy configurations

Some ideas....

A) Same simple reliable engine options in 250 and <400 cc from 20 something horse power to 45 or so. I think there is the potential
    for an oil cooling system that is modern and very simple and reliable. Like the one suzuki has produced with a single cam that is very
    low maintenance but with an option of larger displacement or twin.
    B) Daily commuter for 1, 2 ...and even 3 or 4 people (asia)
    C) Strong frame and sub-frame and easily adjustable suspension precharge.
    D) Bike easy to raise or lower by the means of simple tuning and wheels/sprockets in 17 and 19 and 21 inches for front.
    E) Strong wheels in both spoke and cast versions for tubeless. All same hub, brakes and axle dimension for ex-changeability.
    F) simple dash and controls and enough, gas capacity and wind protection w/o making it bulky and flimsy.

Based on the engine and chasis alone they could build other models that would bring cost of manufacturing down for everyone.

Going from a utility vehicle with lots of cargo space, to an off-road, to a supermoto-ish and to a cruiser/traveler should be very simple.
    One could buy one configuration and have parts readily available for other configuration very easily.
    We do that with quads and utvs with all sort of accessories including trailers, snow plows, enclosed covers for winter, etc...

Maybe I am being too practical but if you make something practical and cool with an utility modern design in mind, I think
    people will go for it.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  20. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    I love the idea ... as an idea. But it's actually not very practical. There is one anchor: You have to build it - all its basic structural components (frame, axles, hubs, etc) - to support the heaviest, largest, most powerful version. That makes it overbuilt - heavier and more expensive - than it needs to be for the smaller displacement versions.

That also limits the usefulness for switching configurations. For instance, converting from a good "utility" vehicle to a good "off road" vehicle isn't really going to happen for anything but, possibly, the largest displacement model.

Our experience with quads/utvs doesn't really apply here. Two wheel vehicles are much more affected by anything that is even moderately overbuilt than a 3 or 4 wheel vehicle.

...ken...