1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. 98940

98940 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some interesting opinion-based info...

Some of my riding buddies just did the TAT from Oklahoma to New York.
    Two of them on T7's, one on a big GS, one on a 790R, and one 690R.
    I saw pics & vids. Experienced riders. They rode these bikes.

I spoke a bit with the 690R guy.
    They all swapped bikes around a few times during the trip.

Nobody liked the GS because huge.
    He didn't care for the 790R, much to his surprise. (Some descriptive words: Wide, big, bulky, soft suspension, but fast.)

He came away loving the T7.
    "Smooth, nice amount of power, comfortable, works well, good price, felt like my old KLR but better in every way."

Already sold his 690R, and has a T7 on order...

He originally planned on keeping 690R until the 490 twin's advent.
    But said T7 was awesome enough to just go for it.

** Me, personally- I'm holding out for a Kawi... also seeing if Ducati surprises me with its Desert X specifications.
  2. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    ... and 30 pounds heavier, and tall, and carries it's weight high. A guy I met recently just took his T7 for it's maiden dual-sport ride, and dumped it on a side-hill when he couldn't get his foot planted. By the way, they look better in person than in pictures...

Did Ducati announce an upgrade to the Desert Sled?? :ear
    Dutch idiot and cyclopathic like this.
  3. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats not going to happen with bikes with IC engines. It is yet too soon for electric bikes, but once the battery issues are solved, it will. Electric technology is far more lego-like.
    Dutch idiot likes this.
  4. 98940

98940 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @ag_streak Agreed about the weight. The feedback was more about the ride quality and feel.
    I think the foundation of his review revolves around "For what it is", or "For its given weight" the T7 is good.
    But it wasn't considered a behemoth, in the GS category.
    More like at the limit of acceptable.

[​IMG]
    The DesertX concept bike was shown a few months ago. There's lots of images floating around the web.

This concept could end up in any direction. Only Ducati knows for sure.
    That's why I stated that I hope they surprise me/us with specs.

I will say that I owned a 'regular' Desert Sled for a year, and it did pretty well on the MABDR. (Wearing the more aggressive, non-STR Pirelli Scorpion Rally).
    Handled dirt-bikeish enough in the forest unpaved roads, which I did not expect.
    Yet on pavement, it was very sporty and handled well.

I sold ultimately due to lack of wind protection for the longer highway riding.
    I'd welcome a rally-type fairing as shown with the X.
    I hope they don't turn it into a porker.
    ag_streak and Dutch idiot like this.
  5. 98940

98940 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a side comment, I'll say that in the spirit of this thread/topic I'm always thinking "horses for courses".
    The theme has been discussed before. One man's unicorn is another man's donkey.

Regarding the part of the world I'm in, the bike needs to have highway smoothness/comfort getting to & from the fun stuff.
    If it doesn't hang well with other cars & trucks at 70-85 mph, then it just won't work.

If I lived in Utah or a mountainous South American region where the bias is toward abundant offroad, the requirements shift drastically.
    Give me an adventurized 500 EXC or 701,, that'll work great.

All of that being said, after spending some time on a Ninja 400, that engine could be good for all of the above.
    I just hope Kawi's chassis spec and style becomes something to get excited about.

I suppose they could do something nice with their parallel 650 engine.
    But again, chassis spec. Hoping for the best...

Speculate onward adventurers!
    ag_streak, Dutch idiot and RedEX like this.
  6. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    I met a guy last week, on a Versys 300, that just crushed any further disbelief I may have had regarding its suitability. I sold my DR650 this weekend and I'm oh-so-close to just turning that money into a 300, and calling it a day.

Talked to him at "the big bucket", i.e. Miner's Park, (OH Rt 78, near Rt. 83), the remaining relics of Big Muskie. He has 18,000 miles on a 2017 non-ABS, bought in 2018. Big guy, too, probably 6'01" and at least 250, and last year he did the TAT from Tennessee to Colorado. He had Mitas E-07's, and a decent layer of mud on his skidplate. His only complaint was that it could use a little more ground clearance. Pretty solid testimony otherwise!

But, "patience is a virtue," right? Supposedly those pigs are gonna fly next week per Cyclo, so i might as well wait a few more days to see what develops...
    ag_streak and Fuzzy74 like this.
  7. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    A guy in our dual-sport club here in Georgia CRUSHES IT on a stock Versys 300 and knobbies. As well as another guy who does the same on a V-strom 650. It's definitely the rider, not the bike!

The bottom line on all this speculation (for me) comes down to this: I think I want a comfortable, road-worthy Japanese dual sport (probably a single), and not a trail-capable adventure bike (probably a twin).

That bike was always a DR650 for me, but now I want something with 6 speeds and FI (and lighter than 360 pounds!).

I think Kawasaki is going to come through next week!
    RedEX and cyclopathic like this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you discard water xings and possibly of mud TAT doesn't really start until you get to CO passes.. for me better reference would have been BDRs in southwest (CA, UT, AZ, NM) or NEBDR.. just saying.

I'm sceptical of you replacing DR with VX3; mostly because of 5"+ of "long travel" suspension not the rest of the bike. Yeah where we live it's not a big deal but when you get out you will find its limits and hate big plastics.

As for the pigs fly my red line is suspension if VX4 comes out next week with current pricing and 6.8" of travel this is viable alternative otherwise 390ADV with spoked wheels is way to go.. or SWM Superdual or used decked out 690, G650x, 650 Terra or DR.
    RedEX and ag_streak like this.
  9. mattebox

mattebox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The wet weight difference is actually just 20 lbs (432 vs 452). The KLR does carry more fuel (6.1 vs 4.2 gal), but the T7 is a little more fuel efficient so the difference in range might not be that much. Both are tall. The KLR seat height is 35.0 and T7 is 34.4, but the T7 has better ground clearance (9.4 vs 8.3). The big difference is in the engine. The T7 is a smoother twin with a lot more power and torque (47 ft-lb/67 hp vs 32 ft-lb/36 hp). The T7 torque curve is very flat and you get around 40 ft-lb right away at low RPMs. I think that engine performance alone is worth the 20 lbs difference in weight, plus all of the other modernization over the KLR650.

If the T7 could be shrunk down to VX300 dimensions (32.0 seat height, 7-8" ground clearance, 19/17 wheels, 57-58" wheelbase), I think they could get the weight down to about 410 lbs. At that point, it would only be 25 lbs heavier than a VX300 ABS and the engine performance would blow away the VX300 or VX400 (Ninja 400 is 25 ft-lb/44 hp). It would be hard to choose the Kawasaki at that point. But if the VX400 could go down to about 350 lbs, that would be really enticing.
    RedEX and ag_streak like this.
  10. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    My reference was more to those that wonder if the 300 "has enough motor", and given his size and the riding he's done, it apparently does. Having that in a 400 would be icing on the cake.

As far as being skeptical of replacing a DR650 with a Versys 300 or 400, for the kind of riding I do, I would NEVER consider a DR650 anyway. "Horses for courses." Last Fall I rode the V-Strom from metro Detroit to Maine, and a couple of day's rides were 700 and 800 miles. Last Thursday I rode down I-77 from Marietta, OH straight through to Tazewell, VA. Rode the Back of the Dragon, hit some gravel roads, explored Burke's Garden, and then rode back to Marietta. Again, nothing I'd want to do on a DR650. The V-Strom has been my go-to bike, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth, plus I wouldn't mind something lighter. So a VX300 or 400 makes sense for me. But everyone's unicorn is a little different.
  11. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    For being a 5-speed, the gear spread on the DR650 is actually quite good. Fifth seems a mite tall, so I could see splitting that up. But yea I'm with you on the fuel injection!

Yes, looking forward to next week!
    Now where's Eakins to rain on our parade? :D
    eakins and sporthog93 like this.
  12. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    :lol3:rofl:jack:imaposer
    eakins likes this.
  13. judobiker

judobiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would love to have more ground clearance on the Versys -X but the low center of gravity makes it really nice on gravel roads or twisty paved roads. The little suspension it has works surprisingly well. If it had a little more torque, where I could lift the front over obstacles, I could live a little easier with the low ground clearance.
    RedEX likes this.
  14. greenboy 667

greenboy 667 Just say NO to BLOATOCYCLES

Oddometer:
    Hey have the dealers in anyone's area got Versys-X 400 stock? Can't get my dealer to order one.
    Fuzzy74 and V0R2G0 like this.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Where's this new bike again :-)
    RedEX likes this.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    :clap

I think it's under a tarp somewhere...
    RedEX likes this.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    On other notes, I rode a T7 and it's indeed a taller man's bike. 6' + height, 30" + inseam needed.

Suspension shortening and Seat Concepts low seat are 100% needed if you less than that.

Fun bike otherwise.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Man if Kawi does not release something, anything in this July go around they've lost all momentum at this point.
    RedEX and Bullwinkle like this.
  19. Robotaz

Robotaz Adrenalin Freak

Oddometer:
    That sounds perfect for me. If I could find a light ADV bike that I can barely put both feet down at 6ā€™-2ā€, Iā€™d be thrilled. Most that fit initially sag really bad and are underpowered, ironically.
  20. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Some dealers are so rude. I would just tell your dealer you are going to move and camp by their door until they get you one!