Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    So,,, when we gonna close this thread? :augie
  2. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    We will keep it going until February 29th.
    RedEX likes this.
  3. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody know where to get a good big bore kit for the 300?

...ken...
    RedEX likes this.
  4. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Just tossing this out there, Ken. How about getting a Z400 and adding a windshield to it??? You say you don't go off road, so the Z400 would get you more power and probably better street manners. Just saying, since I know how much you love the 300. I like the Z400, but already have a Ninja 650, so not much reason to go down for me. Sadly I never go off road anymore. tp
    RedEX and ag_streak like this.
  5. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    I thought about that when the Z came out. Then I sat on one. Ugghh...

For me, the seating position is worse than the Ninja. If I had to choose between the Z and the Ninja it would be the Ninja, hands down.

In addition to the awful riding position, I'm afraid I would miss the plastics on the 300. I love the protection.

It's one of those things that seems like a no-brainer at first glance but closer comparison to the things I especially like about the 300 and it quickly becomes clear that I want a Versys-X 300 with more displacement, not a Z400 with a windshield. But thanks for the suggestion.

...ken...
    dirtdreamer50 likes this.
  6. dancingweasel

dancingweasel Virtual Tourist

Oddometer:
    I agree. I went through that too. The Ninja 400 and Z400 are awful riding position. The VX3 is really very good.
    ScooterJeff likes this.
  7. ScooterJeff

ScooterJeff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ditto. The Z400 is probably the nicest bike I've ridden that just doesn't fit me. I can swing my leg over a VX3 easier than the Z400, with that ridiculous high rear end hump that every naked bike seems to have these days. Once on the Z400, my legs were cramped, and too much weight on my hands, almost sport bike-like. GREAT ENGINE for its size. This goes right back to the start of this thread. VX3 with the new engine would be a winner.
  8. dancingweasel

dancingweasel Virtual Tourist

Oddometer:
    Yes, why do they put those stupid humps on, so the arse-end is right up in the air like a cat on heat?
    RedEX, ScooterJeff and 11motos like this.
  9. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you’re serious, Spears racing seems to have a lot of speed parts.
  10. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the hope continues then.... Although i gave up that hope for a VX400 18 months ago and bought the CB5X instead. Plus now there wont be EICMA this year to wonder about either.
    Thankfully, i'm still happy with what i have and don't desperately want a change yet.
    RedEX and ag_streak like this.
  11. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:

You seem to like the same bikes I do. There is a low mile Tracer GT here on craigslist for 10k that has my attention. And a T700 popped up with 450 miles and the owner claimed it was just too big for him on the backroads. There is also a new 2019 Kawi Z900RS cafe for under 9k. I really like the looks of it.

I see the t700 as a much improved klr that's 20lbs heavier. No single track bike but still good for tat or logging roads that can cruise at 80mph for the longer distance rides. And the longer travel suspension should smooth most roads better than the street bikes. It has the looks, reliability and 20k valve adjustments. Dam hard to beat for an all around bike. And it will lift the front end in the lower gears.

On a side note Kawis new Teryx 1000 is a bad ass machine for its first attempt in the sports catagory. 5 years in development and it shows. I doubt there is enough profit in a new Versys x for them and they are following the market trends.

I'm hoping for a ktm 500 twin adventure now . But not waiting .
    Dutch idiot and 11motos like this.
  12. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That cooled me off. US$1150 for 315cc and the costs and hassles of finding someone who knows what they're doing to install and retune. Puts it nicely into perspective. I'll continue to enjoy it as it is. Besides, it's going to cost me CAD$1700 to replace all the busted plastic and metal framework that holds it together. :muutt That's more than enough for now, I think.

...ken...
    Bt10 likes this.
  13. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Enthusiastic curmudgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Ouch! That's a hard post to "like".

JP
    RedEX likes this.
  14. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Sometimes learning is expen$ive, especially when it's a refresher lesson out in the real world.

...ken...
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like KTM is gonna beat kwak again
    RedEX and rideforzen like this.
  16. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    And Honda , Suzuki, Yamaha, Super deuce ect.
  17. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM is going after the whole market segment. Enduro, dual sport, adv...... they want it all and aren’t playing games.

I can’t wait for the 490/501 models to come out. Sign me up for a 490 R model. Probably going to be the first bike I have ever put a deposit down on sight unseen.
    Dutch idiot and RedEX like this.
  18. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When KTM start making bikes as reliable as Jap bikes..... then, and only then, will i start taking an interest in them.
    Reagan and ScooterJeff like this.
  19. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    I agree, it is a bit ridiculous. But with luggage it's not easy to swing your leg over any bike. I was doing a goose-step and hop to mount the VX300 with luggage, ditto with a CRF250L. I must try the method of using the foot peg as a step one day - hoping the side stand is strong enough.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    You mean like burn oil/doohickey/loose peg KLR reliable or burning stator Vstrom or exploding gearbox DR reliable? Hope not