Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Duke 390 was notorious for overheating which often resulted in blown cylinder head gaskets and/or warped cylinders heads, and there are numerous reports of failed ECUs. To KTM's credit, these seem to have largely been fixed with the 2018 refresh. There are occasional reports of 2018-onward Duke 390's having issues with headlights and displays. But, I don't read much into these latter reports because you can find occasional issues with almost any bike model.
  2. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    That is my point. I had my share of issues with KTM (Actual Austrian bikes). I don't have anything against Bajaj or any other emerging market makers making the KTM, BMW or whatever and once they can consistently show bikes can flip the odometer w/o any headaches like many Japanase bikes do, then I will look into them.
    Again they are not bad bikes, they might work for a lot of people, it is that I am a tad conservative when it comes to reliability.
    Same thing with the cars, there are a couple of makers who make the most reliable cars consistently so those are the ones we buy.

maybe boring... I know.

BTW we buy and keep the vehicles and we do not finance or lease. I can understand why some people leasing do not care so much about long term reliability a car they are going to return when the lease is over.
    In any case there is also the practical side of knowing you are ridding or driving something with a low probability of leaving you stranded.
    RedEX and Jeffo like this.
  3. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    I get that. Bought a Royal Enfield INT 650. Within 2 weeks the left aluminum side cover and trans cover pitted overnight. Last week, a fork seal blew, and all this under 475 miles. Not happy, and perhaps that's why they have a 3 year warranty... Thinking about taking it back, as an angry customer, but that's just not me.... tp
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    This (overheating/head warp) was true for previous gen 390 and was fixed on drive-by-wire model.

KTM is known to push half baked products to market and use early adopters as beta testers but there's not much new on 390 ADV; engine, dash, electronics, suspension had been sorted out long ago. And you know bike is sprung right not like japanese which notorious for under-springing
  5. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    even many modest suspensions offer easy options for tuning and it is a much easier (and cheaper) thing to do than having a world class engine if the bike doesn't come with one.
    For example the forks in a MT-07 need to be tuned and possibly change the viscosity of the oil and raise the fill level a few mm for a perfect sag with firmer yet plush footing in front.
    A well known issue for large riders yet easily solvable. What it seems more challenging for others is to make engines like this very same motorcycle that are that good and reliable.
    Something that is 100 time more complicated to improve or made more effective and/or reliable.

...and I know, one could also spend a lot in aftermarket suspension upgrades, but there are many alternatives from the most simple (oil and forks, drop in valves sets,...) to the most
    expensive, like full refurbishing or complete new high end shocks or forks.
    The norm is most actually do very nice suspension tune ups and upgrades with low budget, specially with popular bike models.

Another 2 other popular examples of easily tuneable and upgraded suspensions on a budget are the DR650 and Versys 300.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Karen?
    11motos likes this.
  7. dirtdreamer50

dirtdreamer50 long time rider

Oddometer:
    Definitely not. With over 50 years in sales, I know better. Just venting and disappointed, I guess. tp
    rideforzen, 11motos and cyclopathic like this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey if it happened to me I would take it back and talk to manager

IMHO it is better to give them chance to get it right than give them a bad rap without.q
    dirtdreamer50 likes this.
  9. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    that really sucks. One would expect the past to be in the past and now that they are getting more exposure and marketing they would
    deliver things people can keep and be happy with but it seems the same old story.
    I have several friends in India who do not want to touch an RE ever again with a 6ft pole.
    I would really love all bikes to be awesome, no exception but we know that is not possible.
    Perhaps just go to the dealer and explain the problems and they should take care of them if they are honest.
    My local dealer here concentrates on harleys and even they sell yamahas and hondas they suck ass so if I want something done I have to take a 1hr. trip to a decent dealer.

Good luck brother.
    dirtdreamer50 likes this.
  10. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the 1190 as well and really didn't care for all the right side heat it put off. The fuel guage would stick and the miles until empty were way off. Most guys were changing the air filters to Uni or Rottweiler because of the leaking airbox design. When I turned the electronic nany off I realized how overpowered the bike was . Fun but just more than I need. Not that great for me on our beat up logging roads because of the weight. I did hear of fuel pump issues as well. But have heard about fuel tank issues on ATs also.

It did eat up miles, was comfortable and the electronic suspension was exellent. Ya and honking power.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  11. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was getting pretty excited to maybe step outside my comfort zone and buy a KTM 390 Adventure, that is, until I watched this review:

Their test unit had issues. It went into "limp home" mode, where it wouldn't rev over 6,500 rpm. I don't want to be a beta tester! :dirtdog
    rideforzen likes this.
  12. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    It says at the end of the video the problem was a loose spark plug cap...

Get the bike it rocks....
    ag_streak and cyclopathic like this.
  13. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, my Africa Twin as well. The Twin kickstand keeps the bike at a more erect angle compared to the X300. As well, the geometry puts less direct downforce and with the foot a bit larger, pushes into the ground less when mounting on grass, etc. The upshot being I find it necessary to have a foot extender/enlarger on my X300 kickstand to keep the bike more upright for mounting using the footpeg. Without the foot enhancement and mounting using the footpeg, especially placing the ball of your foot on the footpeg, it's easy to pull a calf muscle.Having learned that lesson, using the footpeg, I place my instep on the footpeg. Seems more awkward, but when swinging the leg over, pulls less on the calf muscle.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The foot peg method only works if you don't carry anything in backseat; otherwise unfortunately foot catches on luggage.

Don't ask me how many times I have dropped bike mounting/ dismounting it. Karate high kick is always an eye catcher at gas stations; doesn't matter which country you are in.
  15. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    Really? Cool! I missed that because I got bummed out and didn't watch it till the end! I'll go back and watch it all. Thanks.
  16. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Huh? IME the foot peg method works, especially if you have any bags on passenger seat, top case, side luggage, etc.
    flexiflyer and Ken in Regina like this.
  17. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping the way this will play out is that the 390 will be favored by those who go off road, while the 400 (if it comes out) will be positioned as the 300 is; any road any time.
  18. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    That is a new feature ao you dont bust your rims in the trails.:lol3
    In some trails and country roads I ride those wheels will not last one day w/o damage
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure. Common sense says so, thumper for trail twin for road but kaboom single is double balance shaft and they have same output and same redline. And spoke wheels on VX definitely scream off-road.
    I hear you Cycleworld managed to bend front wheel during the test so for me it is no-go until spoke wheels are offered either factory or aftermarket and at reasonable price not arm and leg.
  20. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    Well, I said 'fuck all this speculatin' and bought a 2020 Z400 today...

[​IMG]
    gavmac, rideforzen, RedEX and 10 others like this.