1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    btw... the other day in the city I saw one with a beautiful wider aftermarket seat that was a tad taller and wider with a bit more meat.
    custom order I guess based on the stitching. Didn't see the owner around to ask him/her.
  2. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the new bike! Is it safe to assume you're going to post a more detailed impression of the bike as you get some miles in on the Z400 thread?

Gustavo
  3. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the result of terrible budget cuts in the photoshop department. I encourage cash donations sent to my street address via carrier pigeon.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that this is exactly the same bike (meaning same VIN not just same model) they're reviewing
  5. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    No mention about reliability like if this was an all proven platform. For me, those infomercial style reviews are a joke.
    I'll wait for serious comprehensive reviews that follow some sort of methodology and see how they actually hold.
    To start, the duke is not a great bike based on its reliability record.

It seems those would be all bug free but people continue to have the same old problems.
    Basically it is like constant engine issues and windows like updates with
    the difference that you have to stop by the dealer and they will make the update for you.
    That is the type of BS you never or rarely see with a bike made in japan.

Those bajaj motorcycles with KTM and BMW logos still need some work IMO...

6. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Here another one reported in many posts in the forums/sm....

lol..
    upload_2020-7-22_21-8-45.png
    Wallachian Spikes likes this.
  7. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    I do that move all the time. It would be irritating to get the "Failure message" but, if you can just turn the bike off & it goes away it's only a minor problem. Although I'd rather get the Dual Sport KLX-230 than a 390 adv.... Even though the KLX comes with some irritating problems of it's own. My problem is that nobody makes the bike I want. Super disappointed with Kawasaki's big release of 4 new off road bikes earlier this month. Was really hoping for a 450-500cc Dual Sport.
    ag_streak and 11motos like this.
  8. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just dropped a deposit on a T700. I'm tired of waiting for the smaller lighter unicorn.

450lbs wet and I'm not hanging a bunch of weight on it.

The vx300 will go up for sale. As much as I like it . I need to do some power wheelies.
    11motos, Gustavo, Dutch idiot and 2 others like this.
  9. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    Congratulations. The T-7 is an awesome bike & I'm sure I'd LOVE it if I dropped the $$$ on one. It's just not the bike for the tight woods & steep hills of Tennessee & I know I'd end up bashing it to pieces just like I've done to my KLR. If I lived out west I'd be all over the T-7.
    rideforzen, Dutch idiot and ag_streak like this.
  10. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a 2005 KLR 650 and did not like it at all on our logging roads and jeep trails. Between the noodle forks, 6 gallons of gas carried way high and lack of power for a 650, it didn't stay around long. I liked the vx300 better. Lighter , lower cg , and makes good power for a 300.

I really cant think of a 380-450lb bike that would be good for bashing around in tight woods or big steep hills. A 300lb bike maybe.

Good luck finding a twin built tough enough for serious off road use that comes in under 425lbs or so, that can cruise at 80+ mph on the freeways for hundreds of miles.
  11. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, as jdrocks says "you can't buy it, you gotta build it".
    11motos, rideforzen and RedEX like this.
  12. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen many home builts with 72hp and 50 ftlbs of torque. Yet.
  13. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    I always liked and was impressed by the work on his builds, but they aren't significantly lighter than the Versys. No doubt, they are better for gravel/dirt roads, but they aren't a dual sport, let alone something you would want to ride tight woods or single track on.

Gustavo
    11motos likes this.
  14. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Congrats! Who did you get it from and when do they think they will have a bike available? I haven't been to any of the dealers since this pandemic started, wasn't sure anyone was taking orders that were not part of the initial preorder program.

Gustavo
    11motos and rideforzen like this.
  15. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a general comment. I follow this thread hoping... I've suggested earlier someone should build a vx out of a Z.
    RedEX and jspringator like this.
  16. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put the deposit down at the Yamaha dealer in Fairview. Freight and setup for $425. They had 2 left for their mid September shipment. A white one or the blue and silver one . I went with the blue , silver and black one. Bob Lampheres in Beaverton wanted around $800 for frieght and setup. And the salesman couldn't give me a straight answer on anything. Serious lack of knowledge.
    11motos likes this.
  17. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like the whole CRF500L owners thread. Also impressed with I think Samtechs wifes vx3 slim down.
  18. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I misread it and thought you meant that as an alternative to what was discussed earlier. :beer

Yeah, me too. on that Z400 conversion. I don't really have time to do the first one myself, so I need someone to at least give me the Cliff Notes on what works and what doesn't, maybe that will prod me to do that... :D

And a cheap, used Z400 wouldn't hurt either. Non to be found around here, so far. :nah

Gustavo
    Bt10 likes this.
  19. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen new 2019 400 Ninjas for 3900 and new z400s for 3999 on craigslist. It's just a matter of time for a 3500 or less deal. I would still be concerned with the frame and such holding up for harder off road riding. And I need wind protection at hwy speeds. So no naked bikes for me.

Drop the 400 engine in the klx250 chassis with a 4 gallon tank.

I would go with the Ninja over the Z just for the wind protection and aero dynamics. And really harass bigger bikes in the twisties.
    Gustavo and Bt10 like this.
  20. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think someone on here is. Waiting for an update.