Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm certain there are many of us wondered about that. I even gave it serious consideration. ... Until I sat on one. If I was to try to build a Versys-X 400 out of anything, it would be the Ninja, not the Z.

...ken...
  2. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What was the thread - WR450 to T7 - ? Guy built entire frame around a WR450 head tube and FZ-07 motor. Make the ergos anything you want? I guess all you would need to start is a wrecked n4, but I definitely see the time advantage in starting with the n4 and swapping parts.
  3. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I would do much. It's mainly the riding position that I would want to change. Mainly the footpeg location and handlebars (size, position). And a different windshield to work with the new riding position.

Perhaps fiddle with sprockets to get the gearing the way I want it. But I'd have to ride it quite a bit first to see if the gearing even needs any change or if the pilot just needs an attitude adjustment.

I wouldn't personally need much else to change because I don't do much offroad any more.

...ken...
  4. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  5. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, maybe for wide open, 80 mph highways, you'd miss the wind protection, but if riding the z400 on secondary roads at sane speeds, you'll be amazed how serene and quiet it can be. Zero helmet turbulence. I dare say it's almost zen-like! :freaky

Of course, I may have just fucked up all that smooth air by adding a taller fly screen/windscreen! I need to take it for a test ride to see, when it stops raining...

[​IMG]
  6. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried the vx300 without the screen for one ride. Way too much wind blast. Then I did the lay back hack for better aerodynamics and still have good protection.

I bet your 400 is a blast. I wouldn't mind having the 400 ninja or the Z. Hopefully that engine ends up in the Versys X someday. Your new screen looks good.
  7. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It's no Versys in the ergonomics or comfort department, but it IS a blast to ride. Really, really fun, and it feels fast. The 400 engine is a world apart from the 300. No comparison! It does not feel like it needs to be rev'ed to the moon to get out of it's own way. It even feels faster than the CB500X and has way more character.
  8. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never felt like the VX300 didn't have enough power to get out of it's own way, without revving it to the moon. I can easily keep up with our traffic in town shifting at 6k rpm. And I've never owned a 300 that would run the freeway like it will. If you need to go faster it's there. It does well when compaired to the ktm 390 or the Yamaha 320 and leaves the bmw 310 behind.

From what I've read the Ninja 400 is one second faster than the 300 in the quarter mile and 0 to 60 times. A decent jump. But have also read it's not as smooth in the higher rpms as the 300. And an extra 100ccs is a big boost when comparing smaller engines. I have no doubt it pulls harder down low.

I'm ready for some front end lofting torque though.
  9. LazyR

LazyR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Every so often checking in here to see if there's new rumors. Almost got a 300. They look fantastic, the bike felt incredibly well built and the stiff suspension worked really wel for me. Went with the Husqvarna Strada in the end, because its got that oomph the 300 just misses. It keeps up, but a quick overtake like on a 650 is not as painless and requires a lot of planning :p

If they ever bring out the 400 though, I will be first in line at the Kawa dealer to try one.
    cyclopathic, 11motos and ag_streak like this.
  10. daveburton

daveburton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the 400 motor the same as the V300. Would it be possible to make a direct swap.

thanks
  11. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No..... would have long ago been done if it was.
    daveburton and Gustavo like this.
  12. ag_streak

Oddometer:
    Different motor. Smaller, with different mounting points for a completely different frame.
    daveburton, Gustavo and CRP6001 like this.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    The Yamaha engine is decent, but it pales a bit compared to the Z and Ninja 400. The shop I still work at a little part time when work load gets heavy is a Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Polaris dealer. The locals who have bought both the Yamaha and Kawasaki models in this size range readily confirm the Kawasaki outperforms the Yamaha in power...roll-ons, drag race, top end, etc. That's not unusual and to be expected based on the increased displacement and updating of the engine in the 400. Just like this thread is based on, the logical move is for Kawasaki to make the 400 Versys as the next step in their Versys line. But unfortunately logic doesn't always drive marketing and the bottom line for motorcycle companies.

Yamaha seems to have hit a homerun with the T7. I wouldn't be at all shocked to see a displacement increased Yamaha in the 400cc range pop up.
    ag_streak and rideforzen like this.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not disagreeing but:
    a) it is better to have a bike with lesser engine than no bike at all
    b) the suspension and spoke wheels are likely to be the limiting factor in this category; even VX3 310GS have enough power.

Regardless it is nice to see Yamaha is also moving in this direction

As for T700 I'm hearing multiple complains about high CoG which I suspected would be the case when the first T7 rumors started.. CP2 wasn't designed with clearance in mind like AT and 790 mills
    afordableperformance likes this.
  16. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In this article and a few others I have seen there is a comment "if there is a demand" or "If there is enough interest"......my question is, how do you let a manufacturer know there is a demand or interest? Is it only Facebook, if so, surely manufacturers are not scouring those pages, or the pages of ADVRider for ideas? I seem to recall trying to contact Suzuki to ask about updating the DRZ but could only find a mailing address and Facebook page, so I dropped the idea.

How does one contact a manufacturer to convey their interest in a model or update of a current one? Seems like the only manufacturer I know that solicits ideas and acts on them is GPX and they're getting better at making bikes people want. I know of half a dozen bikes already made that would probably double their sales if they just made one or two changes to the current model but, for some unknown reason they refuse to do so. Prime example: DRZ 6 speed, EFI, I would buy one tomorrow.
  17. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:

Yamaha should definitely make it 400ccs. An off road capable bike will gain weight over the street version so more power makes sense.

And the T7 is getting great reviews. Everyone loves the cp2 engine and the dirt bike feel. A couple more weeks wait for mine.

This review has the AT the 790r and the T7. Great job Yamaha !

ag_streak likes this.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that I care but If I did would just write an email and send it to different Yamaha to email contacts Yamaha US, Yamaha EU, Yamaha HQ. They are likely monitoring T700 thread so if you post "I love my T700 wish Yamaha made T300 for my wife so we don't have to buy her 390 ADV" there's a chance it will get picked up.

From what I understand it is Yamaha Europe who was the force so Yamaha EU would be a primary target.

Also don't discard the comments section on articles like this good luck.
    afordableperformance likes this.
  19. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I have seen the comments after these articles, and even commented a few times myself. Maybe I'll do that more often and people will add decent information to them as well. I have replied to surveys when I've bought bikes and asked about other models and updates, hoping someone will pass on the information, like you said, with the T7 I commented about a smaller version. This is not just for Yamaha, but all manufacturers. Maybe I'll shoot one off to Suzuki and Kawasaki!
  20. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Yeah, this is the part I mentioned above where logic, marketing, and crystal balls don't always seem to come to a rational solution. Bean counters, emissions, lack of situational awareness, etc. all conspire to foil what we as riders sometimes think are obvious conclusions. I'm still scratching my head that Kawasaki didn't have a pitcher in the bull pen warmed up to take the place of the KLR650, but they didn't. And in my book that's a huge miss. I think global emissions might have had a hand in that, perhaps, but I have had contact with insiders that to fuel inject a single cylinder production bike that sells in decent numbers adds about $300-$400 to the bottom line. I can't see that small amount deterring many from buying a KLR650 and may in fact boost its sales. Multicylinder and more complicated carbed bikes cost more to bring to market from carb to FI.