1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. BAGSTR

BAGSTR One Project a Day

Oddometer:
    KTM 690 weight 322 lbs. 3000 mile service interval and counter balancer. Pretty swell suspension; tunable. Except for lack of wind screen, a good street bike.
    This is the bike y’all talking about. People can’t or don’t want to pay for it.

Please tell me why the manufacturers don’t build a small twin with a thin oil pan?
  2. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    I definitely agree with several of your observations and preferences. I've been out of the road motorcycle business since the mid-80's, but I've been consistently in the dual sport and dirt bike action the whole time...four KLR600/650's and a KLX...and using them big time. I recently bought my first street motorcycle since the 80's with a Kawasaki Z650 naked bike. Once I got the ergos right on the Z650, I've been totally happy having the option of two bikes.

Man, pavement bikes have changed a ton. My Z650 weighs 400 pounds and has the horsepower of my '73 Z1 when it was new. I no longer lust after big, pavement burners, or heavy bikes of any kind. It's not necessary anymore to some degree. My 650 isn't the crotch 600cc crotch rocket version but will still run 130 top end and get to 100 with no effort. And I have no desire to travel/camp off of a big bike anymore. Currently I haul my bike and camp to remote areas and stay for days and weeks at a time to ride all the options available there.

Everyone is different, obviously, but there has definitely been a trend toward lighter more powerful bikes, probably because of both economic reasons and appreciation for a more nimble motorcycle. My secret lust bike that never happened was the water-cooled, Honda XR650R, but with an electric start, FI, and 6-speeds.
  3. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:

Sounds like Ewan and Charley when they hit some slick mud.

upload_2020-8-20_9-7-31.png
    RedEX and dmason like this.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    322lbs is "dry" weight IIRC wet weight 350+ as measured by ADV pulse?. add the weight of second tank, center stand, protection.. similarly equipped it is only ~10lbs lighter than my Superdual. Price aside my biggest issue is 36.4" seat height and weak subframe. And you can't get used all pre-19 didn't have 2nd balancer.
    Adanac rider likes this.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It wasn't mud deep rutted sand and shinko 804 front wasn't the best for it IMO. It was fine when I decided to slow down and treat it like mud.

Rocks like in picture above were fine even going down Lippincott I had fun until we hit 3mi ice patch on Salluvan Rd.
  6. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was reading about the Superdual and ran across a statement about its weight. Not saying it's a bad bike at all. Not even saying its true. I have also noticed the only 2 dealers in Oregon no longer carry them. I would worry about parts availability and it could end up like Buell. But now I'm wondering with our dealers saying 412 dry, is that KTM dry ?

Again not claiming this to be true.

JANUARY 23, 2018

Steve
    We now have the Euro4 version of the Superdual available here in Europe.

A dealer was so kind to check the weight of the Superdual X Euro4 (with ABS). The weight with an almost full fuel tank is 219 KG. The bike was stock with no changes and without the panniers and without the pannier rack.

I wrote about this in the great review of this bike on this website and just want to let you know about it. I am 174 cm and when sitting on the stock Superdual X, it was able to reach the ground with my toes only. The X has the lowered seat already. With this weight I am afraid I will not be able to handle the bike when off road.

I am from Germany by the way. I love this website with lot’s of information – many thanks for all your work!
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yep, that's why I recently bought a 2016.

Nice and strong rear with the luggage rack...subframe alone is designed to carry a passenger so is your camping gear weighing more than a passenger???
    It's now even stronger.

Nice linear power motor with it adjusted to level 1 on the fueling adjuster under the seat.
    Great brakes and suspension. What a modern DR could be...but isn't.
    Needs a few mods to be "fixed" but so does every bike.

Motor feels smooth to me. ABS & FI...it's lowered too.
    Keeping the F650GS but that's a tractor compared to this bike.

I was never a KTM fan, but the Japanese are useless these days updating anything.

Enjoy sitting on your thumbs guys yet another year & waiting for the unicorn :imaposer ...I'll be out riding...

20200802_093651.jpg
    RedEX likes this.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Motoman dropped importing SWM and another company picked them up.
    If you read SWM FB page is post after post of problems.
    Something is not right yet at SWM and it sounds like Motoman punted
    https://www.motomandistributing.com/swm
    https://www.motomandistributing.com/
  9. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Im not sitting on my thumbs. I'm riding my 2017 Versys-X 300, probably my favorite bike ever. Bought it new when they first came to Canada in spring 2017. I still get major grins on it every day. I'll be satisfied with it if Kawasaki doesn't come out with a 400.

But I've never owned a bike that couldn't have used at least a couple of enhancements. I'll bet you haven't either. :beer

...ken...
    David JM, RedEX, eakins and 1 other person like this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is probably better discussed in Superdual forum. From what I understand the 187kg/412lbs came from typo on UK website where they listed it as "dry" weight.

Official HQ site lists it as 169kg in ready to ride all fluids without battery.. they haven't updated it since 2017 and obviously ABS unit mandatory on Euro4 isn't included. There must have been some minor pre-production changes so it is possible bike had gained a few pounds.

When I had a dinner with SWM tech director and guy responsible for development in Italy he mentioned it was slightly more than 186kg when they had it on scale. IIRC one inmate had his at scale at 175kg without 14L of fuel which brings it to 409lbs. And at some point they were selling GT trim which in addition to standard equipment also included Givi rear rack and Trekker side cases. Trekkers are 14.5lbs each and racks are probably ~10lbs give or take and adding 39lbs would bring weight to ~450lbs/205kg wet and 420lbs with empty tank.

Motion that it weighs 219kg is ridiculous.. really. Taking it off kickstand it feels heavier than X-Country and lighter than XR650L.

The date JANUARY 23, 2018 on letter you quote is also suspect the US bound bikes were built mid-May 2019 and shipped from Italy on May 26. My bike was the first registered in US I happen to know.

Unfortunately my bike is outside of US and I can't get to it due to quarantine; otherwise I would have thrown it in the scale and sent you pictures.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which FB group are you referring to? The one from Australia? Most of the guys including the admin are on advrider thread you can ask them directly. Bike definitely isn't trouble-free but less issues than G650GS, G650X or Himalayan.. check owners thread good luck.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-thumper-swm-superdual-650.1037250/

EDIT: here's his (admin's) bike review he was one of the first in Australia
    eakins likes this.
  12. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny you mentioned motoman distributing. I called him asking about the curb weight a week or so back and he said he was no longer an importer and his lawyer advised him not to discuss SMW. Odd. Then I then called the nearest dealer in Cali, over 1000 miles away and asked if the 412 dry listed was the correct weight. The person on the phone took a few minutes and then said its correct.

Not the greatest dealer network. Something seems off.

Cyclo you might want to inform them so they could possibly sell more bikes. They list the specs on cycletrader under the USA dealers.
  13. Dutch idiot

Dutch idiot Crazy, not stupid

Oddometer:
    What about the SWM Superdual 650?
    cyclopathic likes this.
  14. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Pirate

Oddometer:
    I personally think of the SMW Superdual is a large Dualsport (like DR650 etc) not an ADV Bike - thinking more road manners, fairing etc
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on what size wheels you get. I had my Superdual-T (19/17") through the best twisties in Italy and Montenegro and it was very very good. On 19/17 it feels half way between dualsport and supermoto . As for weather protection tank protects well the only drawback is short windshield which can be fixed with add-on deflector. Engine is smooth much smoother than BMW Rotax it will sit at 85mph all day long.

Out of negatives for 6'+ knee cutouts could be tight and for shorties 34.4" seat could be tall.. and it is not 2up bike better than DR but not much.
    Dutch idiot and RedEX like this.
  16. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    All this banter to replace the KLR 650 .:bubba
    cyclopathic likes this.
  17. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:

I've never had much luck going slow in sand.

Eye candy.

upload_2020-8-22_9-23-42.png
    RedEX, 11motos and cyclopathic like this.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was supposed to go there in May.. before all this covid clusterf*ck:

They have their own version of moondust called "pukhlyak"
    rideforzen likes this.
  19. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    OK, this is maddening! Already old news to some I'm sure, but I checked out the Kawasaki website for 2021. Not only is the Versys-X 300 listed, but as a 2020 model, they still list the KLR 650, as a 2018 model! So no KLR, no VX300 for next year; that is such a serious gap that I can't see Kawi leaving it that way for long. Something HAS to be in the works. But if that were the case, shouldn't we have seen some kind of spy shots by now, or some tiny leak about new developments? Seems very strange. Still hopeful...
    ag_streak likes this.
  20. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki don't leak.
    RedEX and ag_streak like this.