Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should have considered G650 X-Country.. it would have been minus weight plus power.
    sanjoh likes this.
  2. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Paid Shill

Oddometer:
    Nope. I got exactly what I wanted, less power. Also, the G650 is a single. Seriously uninterested.

...ken...
  3. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    yes of course. lighter bikes are more capable and for that, more fun.
    Once one leaves the 1st world highway system one doesn't need much power (and the weight that comes with it) to go places and do more with less.
    The nice thing about the VX300 is that is still decent on the highway if needed to connect to other roads but in my case I do everything to avoid highways in the first place
    just because they are boring to me.
    still the VX400 would be even more perfect if they keep the weight contained or even lighter like they did with the ninja 400.

As far as waiting on new motorcycles nobody should be w/o a motorcycle, even if they are waiting for the next thing they should be ridding whatever they have or can get for now.
    Bullwinkle, RedEX and Ken in Regina like this.
  4. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    The G650 is a good choice that is for sure but at the same time is not really that interesting or appealing. it is kind of vanilla light and not exciting, at least for me.
  5. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    I doubt I'd miss the displacement at all, especially since I no longer do any two-up riding. Man,,, I've been watching some YouTube adventure bike videos, many of which feature GS 1200's out riding on trails. What a huge friggin' beast of a bike! Everyone's different, but I cannot imagine myself on something like that. :scratch
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might be mistaking it with G650 GS, XCo and XCh are nothing like that; if you want to guilt them they're too unconventional too little vanilla light. Bike ahead of time killed by 2008 crisis and BMW's inability to market it and desire to focus on "core product".
    sanjoh likes this.
  7. ag_streak

ag_streak Failure is always an option Supporter

Oddometer:
    When you're staring down that inviting but rutted and muddy trail, deciding if you should go, astride a 600 pound behemoth, I'd say definitely, less is more! :deal:muutt:super
    Gustavo, rideforzen and RedEX like this.
  8. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    They also priced it pretty high and the Exide battery issue gave it an unearned reputation for bad reliability. I love my X-Challenge and have owned it since new. For all the great things about it, it isn't a twin. So somebody looking for a smooth highway ride will always be a bit disappointed in it - even though it will go 75 all day. But you will know you are on a thumper the entire time.
  9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah the BMW "quirks" and highway buzz is negatives but to be smooth it doesn't have to be a twin. For example my SWM Superdual is smoother than v-strom it replaced and CRF 250 is electric smooth. New 690 is also very smooth but I don't have first hand knowledge on it.
  10. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    Yeah, apparently the Husky Terra and Strada are supposed to be pretty smooth too and that is basically the same engine as the X-bikes. I have a feeling "smooth" is relative, however. I just don't see how you can totally smooth out a 650cc single.
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  11. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was most impressed with the smoothness of my Terra, the smoothest single I have ridden. If it was a 6 speed and a little more dirt worthy I may still have it.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  12. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    My XCH was very smooth compared to every other large single around at that time, and also compared to my 600 Transalp V twin. A bit of work to the OEM muffler and a Booster Plug certainly helped with its smoothness. Was a great bike but a little tall in the seat even after cutting it down.
    _20190627_162958.JPG
    cyclopathic likes this.
  13. wwace

wwace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my opinion also, We have so much interest in the VX300 because it fits precisely in our preferred capability needs. I don't want another monster sized Adventure bike because they added 100 lbs of shit I don't use, I want light weight and ease of handling/ use. The 400 engine in the current 300 platform could even save a few more pounds. Trimming fat off current lineups should be everyones priority.
    Bullwinkle likes this.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Attention unicorn hunters... it's September, prime unicorn hunting season...
    RedEX, Ken in Regina and cyclopathic like this.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly! One is an SUV another one is a side-by-side.

The unicorn inmates here looking for is a perfect balance between two.. you could argue that an old school 140kg bike with modern suspension and EFI would be it but I don't think any MFG is looking into that direction. Something like Fantic Caballero or SWM 6-day.. heck take XR400 clean it, put EFI I might be interested.
    http://www.caballerofantic.com/en/rally
    [​IMG]
    https://www.motorcyclenews.com/amp/bike-reviews/swm/six-days-440/2018/
    [​IMG]
    ag_streak likes this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Naah.. to early for eicma
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is from KLR replacement thread.. if it's true VX 400 is unlikely.. don't remember when kwak introduced 2 completely new bikes at the same time.. moreover 3

18. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Enthusiastic curmudgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moose Jaw (8 feet from the moose's butt.)
    IF the above is true, and IF your assertion Kwak won't introduce 2 new models is true, then this thread will be very dissapointed indeed, 'cause the bike that RoberTx describes is nothing close to what most want in a VX 400. I can agree that it may be a competitive segment right now, and Kwak may want to be a part of it, but a complete anathema to me.

JP
    gavmac, Bt10, RedEX and 1 other person like this.
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    It's early bow season...so you might get lucky...
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Ah more unicorn hunting, speculation & rumors.

Time to go into overdrive mode for you dude.