Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    There are unicorn hunters in the WR250R thread too...those endlessly waiting for a WR450R. Same for the updated DR peeps or those wanting a 660 Tenere.

I gave up being a unicorn hunter years ago and focussed on reality...as in what can I buy right now!

I realized all the endless speculation talk was just time wasting mental masturbation.

I now own a WR450F, F650GS & a KTM 690.
    Bike problem solved :drink
  2. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Don't forget ktm 390adv
  3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Enthusiastic curmudgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm happy for you that you can consider your bike problems solved, and just for the record, I don't acknowledge having a "problem" either, as the VX 300 is my current very satisfactory solution. As we age and bikes, riding friends, and circumstances change, so do our bike 'problems' change. Your emphasis on what's currently available is fine, but needs change (i.e. there are moments when I miss my F650GS, my R1100RS, etc., but I realize my time with them has passed), and what's on offer isn't necessarily always in sync with those needs.

And to an extent, maybe this thread has it backwards. That is, we are trying and testing a bike that doesn't (yet) exist against what we think we want. In reality, we get an actual bike that we think is close and live with it. If the actual bike and our needs match for a while, it becomes one of the memorable ones. If the match is off or not there, we move on to another.

And sometimes, a particular bike can persuade you that it is perfect for what you need, even though you didn't know it at the start. In my experience, the VX 300 is one such bike. I can't say that for the VX 400, but I'm not going to let the associated consideration of it (i.e. "mental masturbation") make me blind to what I CAN enjoy.

JP :beer
    RedEX, Gustavo and eakins like this.
  4. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    KLR has always been heavy for what I want in a DS. I had a 2004 KLR and went over to a DR650 since I felt it was also a more refined bike, and have been trying to shed weight in my new bikes ever since. I fear a new KLR will be heavier than the Vx so it doesn't interest me much, twin or not. My Vx and KLX compliment each other pretty well. I'd absolutely love a Vx400 and continue to hold out hope, but ride the ones I have happily as well.
    eakins and Bullwinkle like this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Oh I think the 300X is a great bike for what it offers! I may get one for my wife at some point.

I just don't see a 400X happening with a potential new KLR world bike on the horizon.

In the EU the new KLR will be Kawi's offering as the 300X drops off.

Kawi needs a new mid-size world ADV to compete. I'm sure they all know what Honda and Suzuki will release at some point and sure have fully studied the T7 inside and out.

I see zero traction of a V400X being Kawi's new world bike nor do I see it living along next to this potential new KLR.

In the US and other markets the 300X can live on. Heck in some markets a 300X would be a big modern bike for many.
    As a point, the DR650 showed up in Mexico a few years ago as a "new model"...most ride 125s.

As pointed out the 300X was an engineer piece together bike, not a planned corporate upgradable long lineage bike as many are hoping for.

That's how I see it, but what the heck do I know? :hmmmmm
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I did the same.
    KLR to DR to WRR to 690.

The 690 is the ultimate DR!
    And what could be if Suzuki got off it ass.

20200821_145228.jpg
    RedEX and twaldron like this.
  7. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    I agree that the Vx400 would not be the new world bike, but I think there is room for it in the lineup, especially if, for instance, the new KLR was a direct T7 competitor. It’s a different class. I was interested in the T7 until I read its weight.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I understand that idea, but don't see Kawi as a company offering that many ADV models. They are just not an ADV focused company. They are a street focused company with a few dirty models. They completely abandonded dirt bikes years ago to compete against CRFs and WR woods bikes.
  9. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    Not really ADV focused brand-wide, true...however....their "ADV" line is the Versys! Well, All Roads anyway. :)
    Bullwinkle likes this.
  10. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    I think most people here are in the minimalist type of trend looking for something lighter, simpler, reliable, easy to buy and own,
    in other words, less is more. Of course in an attempt to fill those gaps of time many other discussions have come up, even adv scooters,
    and in the spirit of minimalism we still need to hear from more enduros(no seat), thumpers(no twin), mountain bikes(no engine/motor), trekking shoes(no vehicle) or even crolling through the country side(no legs)....
    ...well maybe we don't want to take minimalism that far.
    I personally do not care if the bike is a VX400, a Strom 400, a AfricaTwin little sis, or a T4 as soon as it follows the same basic directives that made the VX300 such attractive bike.
    If kawa doesn't make it, someone else will eventually. There is a huge market for these all over the world and I am sure they will sell here too if they do it right.
  11. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    <400lb is a key spec for a unicorn.
    Wallachian Spikes and twaldron like this.
  12. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    I’d even go so far as to say, at least for me, that Kawasaki set the bar at 386# with the Vx300, and the ABILITY to make a Vx400 at 380#. Any poundage north of that better have significant trade-off.
    DavidM1 and Bullwinkle like this.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It will be 400+ when you add bark busters, skid plate, engine guards, racks and center stand.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah and your 6pack getting to 2 years mark in November :hide
  15. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt Kawi wants to join in with a 470+ lb middleweight. The Versys 650 weighs about 476lbs with mags and such. The vstrom is about the same. And these are not built for offroad use. Yamaha introduced the T7 with a great engine and shaved 25lbs off the competition and made it for off road use as well. It's the weight of a rally raid cb500x with way more power. I think Yamaha did a great job of building a middleweight adventure bike. Not just a FZ with a larger tank and 19" front wheel with an X slapped on...

How many guys add to 50lbs of bling to their 386lb bikes ?

Use the 400 engine Kawi. Keep it light. But I doubt anything built for off road capability , range and durability is coming in under 400lbs. Stripped down street bikes are just that.
    11motos likes this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many? You'd be the judge. All I can tell that my 354lbs wet XCo was 400lbs on bathroom scale. No center stand just 7.6lbs engine guards, 4.5lbs bash plate and racks.. add 5L auxillary tank which adds about 10lbs. Apparently full knobbies which added 4-8lbs per tire.

Still with about 20lbs crap in duffel it felt lighter than VX3 on showroom floor with empty tank and no battery.. I set on one while they were replacing my chain. Maybe because of fuel being under the seat on XCo.. I have some doubts VX3 actual weight is 383lbs.. just saying.

As for T7 Yamaha cheated by putting small tank. 650 V-strom is 468lbs vs 453lbs of which almost 12lbs extra fuel.. 472 was for XT IIRC.
  17. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:

The 2020 vstrom doesnt come close. More like one gallon difference. Then look at ground clearance and suspension. https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/10/01/2020-suzuki-v-strom-650-buyers-guide-specs-prices/
    • Ground clearance: 6.7 inches
    • Seat height: 32.9 inches
    • Fuel tank capacity: 5.3 gallons
    • Curb weight: 476 pounds
    The vx300 comes in at 381 lbs non abs and 386 w abs. And the xco is a stripped down , more street version like the Duc scrambler.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC 468lbs was for Wee3 when it came out.

Have you had your VX 3 on scale? MFG do funny things with weights; I remember Sherco got caught listing dry weight without tires.. forget about battery or oil.

As for the seat height it is not the whole story. List height for XCo 32.5 and for Superdual 35 yet they feel about the same. US Superdual came with lower comfort seat and it is narrower.. BMW had the right idea when they were listing the inside circumference of legs needed to flatfoot; unfortunately it never caught up with industry.
  19. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:

The dr650 holds a gallon more and is close in the wet weight. The xco is about 350lbs wet from what I can find. The beemer/Rotax does have more power on paper. But the Suzuki does well with hopups. Just wondering what makes the xco a better choice.

I sold my vx300. Paid $4500 rode it for 2 years as it came from the factory, except $50 for a used exhaust can, and sold it for 3500. Money well spent and I do miss it.

Attached Files:

20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Modern suspension, EFI, good MPG. If you wanna get DR to the same level you need either Lectron or Ecotron both aren't cheap. By the time you get all upgrades it will cost more and it still wouldn't measure up in many ways.

As for extra gallon just from the trip running secondary roads got 260mi out of 3.68gal it is not the size of the tank but the range you care.

XCo isn't my favorite bike but at 54hp, 8"/6.5" suspension and 354lbs it definitely qualifies as unicorn. You can go back and look there were many bikes produced over the years which qualify or will almost ft <400lbs criteria: Pegaso, Terra, etc