1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. dancingweasel

dancingweasel Virtual Tourist

Oddometer:
    I think the climb out of the stream was amazing, considering the tyres. Street tyres, and they went straight up the incline that they said was difficult to walk/clamber up. Very impressive.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't discard new tires; they do better than you'd think To my surprise I have ridden on new Tourances in mud I couldn't walk. IIRC both bikes came with 70/30-60/40 tire; at least in states it was TKC70 on 390 and pirelli mt60 for Hima.
  3. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is simplistic at best. KLR650 was 30-year old bike that was a decent machine back in the day but when compared with newer models it was old and tired. It could not compete in terms of power, fuel mileage, capability offroad, or the ability to meet ever-stricter emissions requirements. And because KLR650 never really changed there is a ready supply of used units on the market that are as good as a new one -- I mean why buy a new KLR650 at the dealer when you can buy a low-mileage 10-year old model in "like-new" condition for only a few thousand dollars? As a consequence of all these factors, sales of KLR 650 had been declining for 5 consecutive row (reference https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/the-klrs-long-run-is-over). All told, the death of KLR was writing on the wall several years before Kawasaki put it out to pasture.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was a joke.. I get it

KLR is soo old it doesn't need new tires.
    RedEX and rideforzen like this.
  5. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:

I was joking. More a response to the "its hard to replace a 21" tire on the road " guys. Why tour on a bike you can't find tires for ? Again joking.
    Bullwinkle likes this.
  6. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I didn't get it at the time. It's funny though :-)
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually we talked about road tires in 21"/18".. it is getting better as more bikes use these sizes. Now good luck if you need 50/50 front in 18" or 17"..
    rideforzen likes this.
  8. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    The shinkos 804, 700 and 244(more aggresive), K60s, M.Enduro3, etc... they all have 17 and 18"
  9. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went to a local dealer looking for a versys 300 today. None there and got told there are no more coming in. Versys 400x due in March

(taken with a pinch of salt)
    RedEX, Bt10 and cyclopathic like this.
  10. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope. Not fronts check specs.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would make sense as euro5 is due by January for all models.. old ones were excluded for 1 year.

Hope switchable ABS and "long travel" suspension means more than 5.7".
    Unhingedlizard likes this.
  12. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Are we going to be swamped with new euro5 compliant models? I would like a choice.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is something up to bureaucrats in EUSSR to decide.. Euro5 was mandatory since January 7? 2020 with 1 year extension for existing models. Maybe CV-19 changed it.
  14. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    What size are you looking for?
    Many of those are interchangeable backnin the front and vice versa
  15. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    "EUSSR" ... too funny.

For context, the inmate asking the question is DavidM1 who is in the UK which is no longer part of the EU. Nobody knows the actual fallout from Brexit but I seriously doubt the UK will create its own emissions standards because doing so would be rather expensive. And if the UK wants to sell vehicles into the EU those vehicles will have to meet EU regulations including emissions standards. So AFAIC the UK will just adopt the EU emissions standards and rebrand them as something more British. The scenario is similar here in Canada respect to vehicle regulations. Canada is a neighboring country to the USA which has an economy 10x as large and vehicle manufacturing in North America is highly integrated between Canada, USA and Mexico. So, Canada basically adopts US vehicle standards and then rebrands them so they appear more Canadian ... LOL. So, I guess the short answer is "Yes, you will be swamped with new EURO5 models but the UK might rebrand the 'EURO5' bit to something else".
    RedEX likes this.
  16. TDY

TDY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Surprisingly not all US standards are adopted here in Canada. We don't require that new vehicles be equipped with tire pressure monitors for instance. Or at least we didn't in 2017 when I bough my last car.
    ScooterJeff and cyclopathic like this.
  17. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    They are a PIA anyway. Any change in ambient temps and the idiot light goes off.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    804 is front only and no 17" and you really don't wanna run 805 rear as front. 700 IIRC has some dual use but they're not tubeless.. same with 244. And speed rating isn't suitable. Yes TKC80 front available but try to find either one of them in store; online only.
  19. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And then they stop working completely.

I ended up putting a bit of electrical tape in front of the idiot light about 3 years ago and that fixed it permanently.

...ken...
    twaldron, RedEX and cyclopathic like this.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw a bumper sticker in EU.. and I think Nigel Farage referred to EU commission as General Secretary hinting on Communist Party of Soviet Union. As for UK staying inline your guess is as good as mine they had some beef in the past with diesels and while implementation likely be same they may differ in deadlines.