1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. O-Man

O-Man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought this was the X400 site. Go somewhere else with your Power discussions! Boring.
    JS_999, Butters, ag_streak and 6 others like this.
  2. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    There's a crazy scene in that outlandish but fun movie "Con Air" where Nick Cage is standing at the back lowered door of a transport plane in flight with a 60's Corvette Stingray flailing behind in the air on a cable. He says, "on any other day that would seem strange."

Your statement here would normally be strange, conspiratorial, and paranoiac. But not today.:-)
    11motos, Ken in Regina and RedEX like this.
  3. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:

Good analysis. I think you missed the difference in efficiency (ICE vs. electric motor), which makes your result overestimate electrical energy needed by a factor of ~3 (maybe closer to 4). So, yes, we will need to increase the electrical supply (that's still a significant increase, as you noted), but not by as much as you calculated above. But, this is not something that would happen overnight. At the current rate of EV adoption, this is at least a 10 if not 15 year time frame before 50% of the US vehicle fleet is electric. That's enough time to both fix our failing infrastructure and build more electrical capacity. Assuming we get serious about both, rather than continue to kick the can down the road...

The real question here is - will there be a Versys-X 400 before that happens? :hmmmmm

:lol3

Gustavo
    RedEX likes this.
  4. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    There is no VX400 yet so this has been a thread of all type of speculations and discussions some to kill time and some others just as they come.
    I am sure when and if the actual VX400 shows up a new thread will be born and this one will continue to be a catch all or just die from natural causes.
  5. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Gustavo,
    Efficiencies are already factored in the yearly BTU consumption stats because they come from actuals, not estimates.

Regardless of production type the electricity distribution and even the recharging itself incurs in additional losses. People should not use more than 80% to be accurate and realistic with losses during re-charging. I didn't even factor that.

So, Lets finish the projections and then see this is not a 10 or 20 or even 30 or 50 year deal w/o pivoting in 100% clean and 100% safe nuclear that is there. It is just really expensive.
    The whole premise of the gates foundations and the engineers working in the solutions is to resolve this transportation dilemma along with a few others.

Lets finish this another day. As I said when you guys said bull crap, I can be wrong but as you can see massive amounts of energy need to switch lanes and the numbers quickly expose the huge challenge. I love the idea of all electric but it is not feasible w/o addressing the capacity dilemma that is an strategically avoided discussion muffled by fashions, unbridled enthusiasm and political correctness.

I am not a ECO-downer ... just wishing to prove myself wrong if I can.

The VX will come, otherwise someone else will do it.
    SoManyFish likes this.
  6. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    True for the traditional plants with active cooling systems.
    When they choose those designs they were thinking about budgets, speed and political agendas at the time, rather than safety.
    The military and gov. were at the heart of those decisions so one more reason they were not the best ones.
    But there are other systems that are 100% safe because they do not need active cooling.
    Basically you stop all systems and the plants cool off by themselves. No meltdown possible.
    These were not adopted because they were larger and more expensive so we opted for other technologies that turned to be not 100% safe
    and resulted in some accidents and the oil and gas also used this to promote their other agendas.
    In the USA was one of those running for decades in an experimental site that showed the passive system works very reliably but
    it was also shutdown by the previous Obama administration.
    New designs based on the same principals can also reuse waste material from older designs & current plants.
    Engineers working on them have figured out we could already have enough reserves to power the entire US needs for 150 years just
    by recycling the radioactive waste from previous designs alone. It is a slower burning reaction but that makes it totally safe and
    more efficient.

So yes, the 100% safe nuclear is there but now they need to
    A) reeducate the public
    B) Fight the mighty oil and gas lobby and their campaigns for disinformation.
    C) find the funding because they are very expensive.

When I hear expensive seems like a joke because how expensive is the long term damage the carbon fuels are doing to the air and environment?
    rideforzen, RedEX and SoManyFish like this.
  7. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    that type of lobbying that affects so many lives and businesses is very real and should be illegal, meaning, pass those laws and make it punishable with life in prison.
    lobby for non-profit is a right every group, and company has but as soon as there are any favors, moneys or whatever exchanged make it punishable and make it a hard sentence.
    One of the several measures needed to give democracy an actual chance to be for the people.
  8. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I've been wanting to put together a very similar observation. This whole notion of "green" as it's presently being pursued has consequences similar to the tar sands or worse when you look at the whole picture.

...ken...
    RedEX, Cigar and 11motos like this.
  9. Nice Goat

Nice Goat higher is better

Oddometer:
    I second the motion. All in favor, say, “Aye.”
    JS_999, GhettoCanuck and Bt10 like this.
  10. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You see friend there is no real Versys-X 400 (at least not yet) and many of us have been speculating about the hypothetical Versys-X 400 for several years now. Given that Kawasaki is taking their sweet time with (the hypothetical) Versys-X 400 many of us are running out of relevant things to speculate about. So now our minds tend to wander to other interesting topics more frequently. It's unfortunate that you find discussing interesting things to be boring. Have a nice day :-)
    ScooterJeff, RedEX and 11motos like this.
  11. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    The latest passive desings with the slow reaction models (one I read was based on molten salts) might take all the waste material
    and reuse it and the engineers say there is enough waste already to run all the US needs for the next 150 years ...
    ...given there is a massive investment in this type of technologies and for that education and social and political shift is needed.
    we are saying 100% safe nuclear here, not the traditional nuclear crap.
    Ken in Regina, RedEX and SoManyFish like this.
  12. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have any new information about the (hypothetical) Versys-X 400? If so, please tell us because I would love to hear it.
    TNC, Bullwinkle and 11motos like this.
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lobbying? You're misunderstanding they're on payroll he just calls and gives orders to his employees.

Regardless let's get back to bikes.
    11motos likes this.
  14. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    I think there was actually one guy who had substantive inside information about the VX-400 who posted here, but before he was able to provide the details, he mysteriously disappeared. His body was later discovered washed up on a beach near a cartel enclave in Mexico, so...:lol3

But seriously, in over 200 posts and a very long time where nothing new has surfaced on this alleged bike, there's nothing wrong with the conversation being kept alive with other discussion elements occasionally interjected within. Maybe Kawasaki's announced October new model release will tell us something, but until then I guess we can chill on a few other topics before this thread goes into archives.:D
    cyclopathic, RedEX and SoManyFish like this.
  15. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lithium mining this, European reptilian overlords that... I thought we were off topic way back discussing the economics of the new ct125; at least it's a motorcycle for god sakes!
    SoManyFish likes this.
  16. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Yesterday the Canadian federal ruling party did what we call a Throne Speech to start a new session of parliament. In it they talk big and lots about their vigorous commitment to "green". Nowhere in it did they mention nuclear. Come to think of it, they really didn't have specifics about much of anything. Just the usual political smoke.

Perhaps that's where we are at with the mythical Versys-X 400?

...ken...
    cyclopathic and RedEX like this.
  17. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    And regarding their noise about "green" they also didn't mention anything about pressuring Kawasaki for a VX400. Not helpful. Not helpful at all...

...ken...
    Bullwinkle, Bt10 and cyclopathic like this.
  18. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Correct me if I'm wrong Ken, but given your population and its dispersion, doesn't "Hydro" still work pretty well in Canada? (Is that considered "green"?) Just curious / seeking knowledge.
    There's no way something like that would be sufficient in the U.S., of course. I agree that the real answer for us is nuclear. (LOL, in one fashion or another!) :hmmmmm
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So when do you think they will bring forth new bikes since eicma 2020 is cancelled?
  20. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    They can send me a few and I will have them thoroughly tested and write down the reviews.
    RedEX and Ken in Regina like this.