1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I add stabil or marvel miracle oil, warm up engine then shut petcock and drain bowls after it shuts off.. if I don't forget. Would be nice to get some alcohol-free fuel but it's kinda far from here.. and it is too much trouble to make some.
    SoManyFish likes this.
  2. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By any measure 200,000 km on a motorcycle engine is impressive.
    Bullwinkle likes this.
  3. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    For the last tank or two of the season I use fuel stabilizer/preservative (Stabil or equivalent) and alcohol-free fuel (it is easy to find near me). I make sure the tank is full (to reduce condensation). I used to drain the carb bowls but I don't anymore because I found that with the alcohol free fuel and the fuel stabilizer the gas does not seem to break down at all during winter. And during our brutally cold Canadian prairie winter my bikes are stored in an unheated garage wherein the air temperature is often well below 0 degrees C which, I suspect, slows down the chemical reactions that cause the fuel to deteriorate. When spring rolls around, I reinstall the batteries (which are stored in the house during winter) and the bikes always start fine. I do the same thing with my power equipment (lawnmower, rototiller, etc.) and never have any trouble starting any of them either after they've sat for 6 months of winter.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  4. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:

I think the warnings are more for reminding guys to check what their loosening up and for the old school diesel mechanics that would purge the lines after running out of diesel or getting air into the lines. Something you dont do on the newer ones. Its up to 26,000psi at times. While running.

20200928_122620.jpg
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  5. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    26,000 psi!? Wow. That's serious pressure with the ability to cause serious injury if the system is serviced improperly.
  6. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was wanting to put a booster plug on the vx300. After I put an aftermarket can on it, fueling was off without the db killer in. I think it would have made it much smoother. But $160....
  7. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know if anyone else has encountered this. My 2011 BMW F650GS was my first fuel injected bike. The first winter I put a bit of fuel preservative in it, as I had been doing with my bikes for years.

When I brought the bike out in the spring there was no way it would start.

The dealer came out with a trailer and hauled into the shop. Turned out the injectors were plugged and needed cleaning. Fortunately it was still under warranty.

They asked if I had put in fuel preservative and said I should stop doing it. I quit and had no problems getting it going the next 5 springs.

Same thing with the VX300. I've never put fuel preservative in it and never had trouble firing it up in spring.

...ken...
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check Sol2.. belgian company. IIRC it was €30+ship for my X.
  9. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    I have never heard of fuel stabilizer clogging fuel injectors (or carb jets). In fact, some bike manufacturers explicitly recommend fuel stabilizer if the motorcycle is not ridden regularly. For example, page 68 of the Versys-X 300 Owner's Manual (English language edition) states: "When not operating your Kawasaki for 30 to 60 days, mix a fuel stabilizer (such as STA-BIL) with the gasoline in the fuel tank. Fuel stabilizer additives inhibit oxidation of the fuel which minimizes gummy deposits."
    twaldron likes this.
  10. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    BMW's are "special". :augie

I had a 2002 DL1K that would spend the better part of a the year parked in NM, waiting for me to have time to go on Mexican adventures. Never had an issue in years of doing that type of service. Most times I'd remember to throw in some STA-BIL, but sometimes not. I'd plug into the charger and a couple of hours later it would just crank. If it had only been a few months, it would start w/o even charging the battery. Same with my Versys. Just recently, with this pandemic, it got left in Las Vegas in March (last time I rode it was in February, I think... :dunno). I came back late in August for the first time, it started w/o a problem, even though it had no STA-BIL and no charger for those 6 months.

Gustavo
    Sal Pairadice and cyclopathic like this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I said before if a screw backs out and fairing starts buzzing on your Yamahozuki it's jap crap, but if kickstand falls off on bimmer, it randomly dies at 85mph, doesn't want start, water pump seals fail, final drive leaks it's "character". Renowned german engineering it makes italian bikes look dead reliable; I have both.

BMW decided it is very important to zero TPS sensor; they do it on startup so if you roll throttle while trying to start bike or hit start button while dash lights are still flashing settings go heywire good luck after that. Yes there's an ECU reset procedure you need to print it out and carry with you just in case. The other common issue idle air valve gets dirty and may need cleaning.. but between those and fuel filter you have all EFI issues list. On all other bikes it's just a filter/pump because if TPS isn't aligned properly you won't leave home with it in the first place. Yeah an possible contact connector corrosion but electric gremlin can strike any bike.
    rideforzen likes this.
  12. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I like. Less is more. I try to store with a full tank to prevent condensation from the air in the tank. A left over from my marine days. I don't miss fogging the engine every fall. I doubt any of that was really necessary.
  13. Wallachian Spikes

Wallachian Spikes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Somewhere between the sacred silence & sleep
    I'm not sure why people panic so much about old gas. I keep 50 gallons (real gas not ethanol) in 5 gallon cans in an out building. Each can is labeled with the date I bought it. I usually cycle it out around 8 months but, sometimes I've forgotten & let it go 10 or 11 months. Never had a can give off a varnish smell so I go ahead & use it. Haven't had any trouble in my truck, bikes or lawn mower.... I don't use Sta-Bil in my reserve fuel because I don't want to get in the habit of clinging to fuel for record time when I can just use it & refill the cans. If the trucks ever stop rolling, 50 gallons won't last long enough to go bad even if I only use it in the Van Van for conservative back road runs to pick up essential supplies.
  14. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    On carbolated small engines I just drain the bowl, or at least run them out of gas. I never did that on the boat because the 4 bbl Holley had such large jets they never clogged.
    Lesharoturbo likes this.
  15. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm minimalist now. Run premium (no alcohol) the last few tanks of the season, make sure it's topped up, and park it in the unheated shed for the winter. It's worked fine for the past 8 years, first the Beemer, now the VX300.

...ken...
    Wallachian Spikes and SoManyFish like this.
  16. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sta-bil does have a use by date . I had some on the shelf that turned dark, almost black. Threw it out.

I use it in my 5 gal gas cans for lawn equipment and such. It may set for 6 months or more at times. Ive used it in autos, bikes, boats that are stored for several months as well. Something to combat the ethanol.

I had some diesel in a plastic can for a few years, was going to use some to get a fire going and it wouldn't even burn.
    Wallachian Spikes and SoManyFish like this.
  17. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Supporter

Oddometer:
    11motos, SoManyFish and cyclopathic like this.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    11motos, ag_streak and SoManyFish like this.
  19. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    It is also interesting that a 2021 Versys-X 300 ABS is listed on the Kawasaki USA site, see https://www.kawasaki.com/products/2021-Versys-X-300-ABS?cm_re=MPP-_-PRODUCTTRIMLIST-_-VEHICLEDETAILS

Edit - added: Apparently the 2021 Versys-X 300 will also be available in Canada and Latin America, see https://www.kawasaki.ca/en-ca/motorcycle/versys/adventure-touring/versys-x-300/2021-versys-x-300-abs and https://www.kawasaki-la.com/la-en/products/2021-versys-x-300-abs

Another edit - added: I did not read all the details but, at least at first glance, it appears that the only new thing for 2021 is the colour scheme. I will be the first to say that I did not expect to see a 2021 Versys-X 300.
  20. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    11motos and cyclopathic like this.