1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Good question. I don't think any such aftermarket pipe/exhaust system exists like this. This is where a more serious Versys 650/700 would have to have factory design application. I think it's a fully achievable component, but I don't think anything exists out there as a bolt-on option at the moment. A capable, creative mechanic/welder could probably achieve it, but it would be a roll-your-own setup...something Kawasaki could achieve with relative ease.
    Lesharoturbo and IndigoSwann like this.
  2. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The dude installing a 300 in a KLR chassis had his mechanic/fabricator do a NICE 2:1 side exhaust.

Pics

View attachment 2598291
    View attachment 2598290
  3. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're probably right.
  4. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you just described the VX400 a lot of us are looking for. :thumb

...ken...
    Bt10, Bullwinkle, RedEX and 5 others like this.
  5. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regardless of the varying definitions of "ADV bike" and the usual marketing and business wank surrounding it, it is apparent that BMW, KTM, Yamaha, or Royal Enfield do not find ADV bikes irrelevant.
  6. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    That's the problem with an "ADV" bike. Where on the dirt---street spectrum do you go if you're only going to build one model in a given displacement. You want something dirtier than I do. Dirty enough that you're willing to give up highways. I'm way on the other end. I want something that will let me run almost entirely on highways but doesn't hinder me from wandering down the odd dirt road.

I guess that's what makes speculation threads so much fun. And makes manufacturers pull their hair out.

...ken...
    Adanac rider likes this.
  7. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    No picture here.

...ken...
  8. IndigoSwann

IndigoSwann Pirate

Oddometer:
    I'm of the opinion that most of here on this thread are more road orientated - if we wanted a lot more dirt than a 50/50 mix then surely we'd be going for adventurising dualsports like a lot of others not speculating about VX400's?

I also like the idea of Kawi execs from their Marketing Research arm keeping tabs on this thread - "OMG these idiots have changed their mind again - scratch the bold new graphics!"
    RedEX and Ken in Regina like this.
  9. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    Don't make the mistake of equating your KLX to the Versys-X. My Versys-X is happy to cruise all day at 120kph (75mph) in 6th, and even in 5th if there's enough headwind to require it. I understand your comment about "too busy" if you really don't like rpms. But don't mistake your discomfort with a high revving engine for the vx300 engine's ability to maintain those revs forever. At those speeds it's still way short of the red line.

I'm not criticizing: we each have our own comfort level. I'm glad you found yours with the Z650. A good friend bought one this summer, with a little support from @Bullwinkle and I. It's a sweet ride.

...ken...
  10. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
    I'm not dis'ing any brand's decision to get into any market or style, or not. And I hope I made it clear that I don't think ADV bikes are irrelevant; just that I don't think it's a big deal, and understandable, if Kawasaki were to think that particular style is not something they care to get into in a big way. And that I don't believe there's an ADV bike "market". It's too fragmented to call it that.

It's not unreasonable to think that the Versys-X was a way for them to dip their toe into that style and see how, and which, motorcycle consumers react to it. Going with the smaller displacement would allow them to offer it in more potential places in the world than North America and parts of Europe where the prevailing attitude seems to be "it's bigger so it must be better".

The Versys-X 300 proves that they can build one if they choose. What we don't know is whether we, the consumer, bought enough of them to demonstrate to Kawasaki that the potential profit is enough to be relevant in their bigger picture.

...ken...
  11. Ken in Regina

Oddometer:
  12. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    "adventurising dualsports" is just adding a half decent rack for me.

Contemplating a VX400 has tuned my ideas. I don't think I really need an adventure bike for my adventuring. More of a dual-purpose with slight road bias - basically my GS but 40-50kg lighter (21" front wheel, 50hp - and tubeless tyres are nice).

I've obviously been spoilt by owning an R80GS for 30 years - an out-of-the-box adventure dualsport (but heavy).
  13. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    we wish In NY state and NJ they had some of the roads they have in 3rd world countries. There are roads in the NE of the US rhat are worse than in Mongolia.
    We are still relying on infrastructure our grandpas built in the 50's and everything is starting to fall apart. This is well known issue that requires a massive undertaking and budget yet politicians keep wasting dollars in stupid useless projects and laws.
    A 250 is more than plenty if you avoid the interstate and other highways mostly toll ones on top of the absurd taxes we pay.
  14. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt; take a look at below. Keep in mind that that road with the river on the right is international road M41 in central asia.. with 60-85t semis going through. Mongolia was worse but is better now at least where they layed new roads. I can dig pictures if interested.. should be somewhere on my phone.
  15. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    In those latitudes you are ready for the bumps. On NYS you are going in an asphalt road and all de sudden you are in pot holes you can fit a baby crib. You even have them in highway entries and exits and everyone knows how bad those are for tires and rims that sometimes explode.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    If that's the case maybe I should pay a visit.. it's not that far. I see your point this is an attribute of 3rd world which NY is quickly becoming under governor cuomo.. LoL.

Issue with M41 is bribery and a lack of weight restriction enforcement.. believe it or not they do fix the road it just doesn't last when they have trucks going with x2+ load comparing to states.
    DSCF3271.JPG
    Wallachian Spikes and 11motos like this.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Zero chance Kawi is going that direction, but that is a nice Photoshop job.
  18. ScooterJeff

ScooterJeff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is that anyway, like a 44 inch seat height? Sorry, but there are enough bikes out there now with MX racing height seats. Part of the appeal of the VX300 is a seat suitable for shorter than average riders.
    cyclopathic, 11motos and RedEX like this.
  19. theonlydt

theonlydt n00b

Oddometer:
    Long time lurker here.

Looking to make a purchase MY2021 (or leftover 2020s next year!). For obvious reasons I was drawn to this thread; I want a lightish weight ADV, but having seen the beautiful 400 dropped into the Ninja/Z400 I wanted to know if it was planned for the Versys.

If Kawasaki do not launch a Versys 400x my money will be going to a Honda CB500x. I want a bike I can attach hard luggage to (panniers and top box), with some ground clearance, some suspension travel, and ability to soak up bad roads + gravel roads, but also drone on the highway for four hours on occasion. Without being too intimidating, or too hard work.

The 300 is close - and I like how it looks (there's a 2018/2019 near me in red I like a lot), but I like the CB500x a lot too, and will just save harder to get one. The price difference isn't that great that they're not competing.

I don't something hardcore, or something that looks like a dual sport.

I have a dodgy back, dodgy knees, dodgy ankles and an obliterated shoulder - and long legs, so ADV rider position is my only real option.

It's my impression there are lots of slightly boring people like me out there. It's why the 300 exists! I have my fingers crossed for the 400, and e-mailed Kawa Canada earlier this year to let them know if they make it, I'll buy it, if they don't I'll be a Honda owner. I considered the Z400 (and would just avoid the gravel road part), but the ability to hang luggage is extremely poor. I don't want/need a mule, but I need a few kgs in hard cases over the sides (not a z400 option from kawa or any of the major case manufacturers), and a top box (that is an option). Plus I like a little wind protection.
    11motos, Lesharoturbo and ag_streak like this.
  20. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    LOL!...I get your "slightly boring people" comment. I quit pure pavement bikes back in the mid-80's...had some decently fire breathing bikes up to that point...H2750, Z1's, GPZ's. I kept riding, but it was all on pure off road bikes for racing the enduro circuit or DS bikes up to 650 KLR for taking out west. There is a market for this category you mention, hence all the interest in this thread and the potential Versys 400.

You mention "long legs", so I don't think you would have survived a Z400...or probably even the Z650. They both come fitted for midgets at the saddle/footpeg ergos. I got a new Z650 in June and had to lower the footpegs and raise the saddle. I put together a Z400 earlier this year and it was way worse. I was able to "fix" the Z650, but I would have had to reengineer the bike to make the Z400 fit. I'm sure a Versys 400 would be highly improved in that issue. I'm 6 feet tall, but I only have a 32" inseam, so I'm no NBA star. We also sell Yamaha, and the MT-07 on the floor right now is only marginally better. I've heard that the reason for this is that the manufacturers have considered these bikes somewhat of a "beginner" bike. What a load of BS and misidentifying your potential market. At least they got it right with the T7, but you're looking at 10K to get those good ergos.

One thing I will note about these 300-700cc bikes these days...they are not your grandpa's motorcycles...LOL! My Z650, non-ABS, weighs less than the KLR650's I had, and the bike has the horsepower of my old H2750 and '73 Z1. Even if the Z400 had fit, I'm glad I went with the 650. At only 40 pounds heavier, it is a much better highway cruiser. It will hit 100 mph with no effort which I will mainly use in quick passing situations. While the CB500X is no fire breather, I can see why it has the interest and satisfaction of so many people. It will be a much better "traveling bike" than my Z650, but I no longer have interest in traveling off the bike. It will be hauled the long distances to the "good riding"...LOL!

Like others, I'm hoping for a highly improved Versys 650 in whatever the mystery bike turns out to be under the cover in Kawi's teaser add.
    theonlydt and 11motos like this.