Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are one away from the top the engine temp is right where it should be. Yeah, the reading on the gauge creates a false impression. The sole purpose of a gauge is to deliver useful, accurate information to the operator yet the design of this gauge doesn't do that -- it is a design fail. And I do not believe it would have been either expensive or difficult for Kawasaki to add a numerical display of the engine temperature thus eliminating any ambiguity. One more thing, because Versys-x directs (via the cooling fan) hot air from the rad downward towards the rider's calves I think sometimes that contributes to the false impression that the engine is running hot.
    RedEX and Tantor67 like this.
  2. Northern_Rider777

Northern_Rider777 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As the Versys-X is my first bike, I’ve been thinking what my next will be as it will be paid off in less than a year. I plan to keep it rather than sell/trade in.

I don’t know if I can wait for a Versys-X 400. I see some ADV bikes around the 400cc mark that kind of fit the bill.

KTM 390 Adventure (that mantis looking headlight might be a dealbreaker)

I was looking at the Husky Svartpilen 400 today (pretty slick looking), but it seems like it would be uncomfortable on long highway rides without some mods (windscreen, seat) and the price seems a touch high for a bike that I want to mod out of the gate.

DRZ-400 S or SM is pretty appealing, extra set of larger dirt wheels for the SM...

I even considered converting a Ninja 400 to be more dirt oriented (thanks to those GSX-R dirt conversion youtube vids) ...for about 20 minutes.

what about the other way...dropping a Ninja 400 engine into the Versys-X body? How bad of an idea is that?
  3. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    The idea of installing a Z/Ninja 400 engine into a Versys 300 chassis is doable, but the kind of fabrication is probably more complicated than you'd think. You'd almost have to have two complete bikes to do the job. The electronics from the 400 are pretty much going to have to follow the engine over to the 300 chassis. By the time you strip all that off a Z/Ninja 400 bike, you're probably going to have the investment of the whole Z/Ninja 400. Computerization, ABS, and FI has complicated engine swaps to some degree, especially on motorcycles. There was a decently significant frame reconfigure on the 400, so I'm not even sure the motor mounts are in the exact same location. Enough money, enough fabrication skills, etc. will pretty much allow anything within reason, but the "within reason" part can be a big hurdle.
    RedEX likes this.
  4. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct, no motor mounts are the same. Might be an idea to upsize the suspension and make new rearsets (frontsets?) to get a better triangle on a N/Z4.
  5. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm of the opinion that if you were to go to the trouble of swapping a 400 engine into a 300x, you might as well swap it into a klx250 frame and get a pretty balanced adventure motorcycle. But again, I always fall to the more off-road side of the adventure spectrum.
  6. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Another issue is the transmission's gearing.
    The vx300 1st gear is very low for a reason that is to get torque of a short stroke engine so it can be used in more demanding conditions.
    I am not sure about the z400 gear distribution but I would imagine the 1st two gears would be quite different.
    iMO an adv bike benefits a lot from a wide ratio with 1st two low gears and Kawa should also allow to start in 2nd gear like when using the bike in easy /low load daily conditions, like commuters for example.
    RedEX and Northern_Rider777 like this.
  7. Davidc83

Davidc83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just looked on the Kawasaki website....the 2021 Kawasaki X-300 (not a 400 for 2021), but the website could change on November 23...6 new models going to be announced...maybe a new versys-x or a new KLR....
    Northern_Rider777 likes this.
  8. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    "Breaking News!"...sorry...couldn't resist.:D
    11motos and Lesharoturbo like this.
  9. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi. If you look a few pages back we already ate a decades supply worth of popcorn talking about this.
    Botttom line, lots of guesses to date but the only thing we really know is that the new bikes are going to come with two wheels and a handlebar.
    RedEX likes this.
  10. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too bad they wouldn't throw in the cover.

...ken...
    11motos likes this.
  11. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Not so fast...I saw a high fender and an ADV looking fairing in that frozen screen shot someone posted. Of course, it's probably a pic taken by Putin and posted as Russian disinformation.:lol3
    RedEX, 11motos and SoManyFish like this.
  12. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Another four weeks of siesta. zzzzz
    11motos, RedEX and SoManyFish like this.
  13. ScooterJeff

ScooterJeff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was tempted to do just that. I think it would make a great bike, like the CRF250L/CB500X engine swap. I bought a Z400 and was tempted to find an older KLX250 with a fried engine and do just that. I ended up trading the Z400 for a different bike that I wanted though. I live where I frequently have to go 75mph on a slab to get to rocky, dry gravel filled roads. I want a light bike that can fly smoothly down the highway. I'm ok with crosswinds and trucks on a light bike. My DR650 does that, but not smoothly. I would love a small parallel twin in a dual sport frame.
  14. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really, really like the looks of the Svartpilen 401 -- it is very distinctive. But an ADV bike it is not. It is, however, a stellar example of how motorcycle companies sell a "rebadge" at a premium price. For all practical purposes it is a re-styled, re-badged Duke 390.
    Northern_Rider777 likes this.
  15. Northern_Rider777

Northern_Rider777 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting about some of the more “reasonable” engine swaps.

Funny about KTM and Husky, I was reminded about their cozy relationship because their websites are exactly the same format, and are both clunky in exactly the same way on my phone.
  16. GhettoCanuck

GhettoCanuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If I manage to kill my klx I may look into such a swap, but the klx has something of a reputation for resisting death. Time will tell.
  17. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    India and Bajab make decent motorcycles. I just dont think a bajab-KTM or Bajab-Husky should cost that much. Also not sure why they try to put so many features/electronics in what it should be a budget bike at the expense of sacrificing short and long term reliability.
    TNC likes this.
  18. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    I agree that the price of bikes farmed out like that should reflect a reasonable drop...seems only logical. On the array of electronics becoming more and more common, I'm not a fan. I was somewhat pleased that the Z650 I bought had no ABS or much else in heavy electronics. I notice Yamaha didn't seem to overload the T7 like many other ADV bikes. Maybe it's just because I'm a long time rider who's used to no frills.
  19. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just finished my 55th riding season and when it comes to electronic improvements like ABS and such I say: Bring 'em on!

In fact it truly annoys me that in the year 2020 so few motorcycles have electronic cruise control. Hell, in 1965 I had a '56 Dodge that had cruise control. Why are bikes so far behind the curve? Throttle locks are positively neanderthal.

...ken...
  20. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Ken,
    Want cruise control? No problem, we got that!

upload_2020-10-27_20-30-26.png

ABS is one thing but then 20 driving modes, eco driving, auto brake, feet warmer, ..etc...etc...
    You get cold feet? buy an airhead bmw! lol
    IMO What we need is dumber phones and smarter people and same thing goes for the bikes.
    Bike ridding should be very involved, it should demand commitment and not detachment.
    I don't need virtual reality, I want real reality.
    Also we should ask for less artificial Intelligence and more of the natural kind.
    lol
    rideforzen likes this.