Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd take the KLX-300 over a DRZ any day of the week. I would sacrifice the 5hp for the 6 speed transmission in the KLX. Plus EFI!

I'm not in the market, but if I was, I would likely get the SM. Put some aggressive tires on the SM and it seems like a pretty sweet scrambler alternative. Add a 21" front if you feel the need.
  2. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Not sure how better could be since I could not find power and torque specs or any tests or reviews on the bike. We know the new CRF is being tested and reviewed overseas but no sure anyone has ridden a klx.
    I would suspect it will be a nice improvement but we will not know how much better or worse vs another until bikes show up and are put through real life testing and comparatives.
    Or maybe I missed the specs and/or reviews but I searched and didnt find anything.
  3. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    A different story is sustaining those speeds in highway and/or making it a somewhat enjoyable experience even for short legs of a highway trip. It is the same challenge for all dual sports even ones with twice the engine.
    I avoid the boring highways like the plague but sometimes we have no choice.
    In reality not a huge concern and the extra performance will make a better bike all the way but IMO still pure dual sport so more dirt oriented vs asphalt.
    Dual sports fans will be happy.
    Keep in mind It is not the first 300 dual sport kawa produced so hopefully this time they will do it right.
  4. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    CRF 300L top speed is 92-95mph hard to imagine KLX would do worse with more displacement unless they geared it really low. As for lack of wind protection I have crossed the country in January on naked bike with all protection provided by chinese scooter windshield.. many miles in near freezing rain at 85-95mph. Good windshield goes long way to protect you just saying. Not that I would consider KLX as highway mile.
  5. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    I'm one of those who years ago put a factory 300 jug and piston on my '06 KLX250S. Also added a full Muzzy exhaust and a Mikuni 36mm pumper carb. I have two friends who own Yamaha WR250R's with all the upgrades...fuel tuner, full exhaust, airbox mod, etc. We have drag raced from a dead stop and done roll on races. Even with identical gearing, my KLX leaps ahead for the first 100 yards by several bike lengths and then holds even until we near redline. At that point the WR's slowly creep up to me before we top out. The WR's clearly have awesome top speed capability at high rpm. One of these friends is preparing to install a 290-something cylinder/piston from an outfit called something-Thumper-something...nice looking kit. I'm betting our drag race results will be much closer. I still think the WR will lack the low end grunt of my KLX because of its head design. That head fits a high rpm screamer better than the KLX head. Hardly a scientific comparison, but this is what we've seen with two identical WR250R's.

The new KLX300S will be interesting to see how it plays out. I love my modded KLX for off road and slow, scenic pavement. I hate it for highway cruising with the gearing I have. I recently bought a Z650 to scratch that itch.:D
  6. vt700guy

vt700guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So for those like myself who have given up on Kawi making a 400 version of the Versys, what bikes are you looking at for your next bike?

I'm considering an Africa Twin or GS 850 as I'm wanting a little more power for 2 up riding while maintaining the ability to do light off roading.
  7. twaldron

twaldron Dudeman

Oddometer:
    I’ve had a Tiger 1200 and an 800 XCx and I’m done with the land yachts. I’m good with my Vx300 until something in the 400-500 comes out in the same weight class as the Vx. But I mostly ride solo.
  8. vt700guy

Oddometer:
    I completely understand, and I love my 300. Enough so that it's not going to leave my garage either way. I was really hoping for a Versys 400 as I think it would be the absolutely perfect ADV bike for me. My son rides a lot with me and the 300 is starting to be just a bit under powered for 2-up touring.
    Northern_Rider777 and twaldron like this.
  9. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's keep this in the context of the question: "How would the KLX300 SM compare to Versys-X 300 on the highway?" (or something like that). IMO top speed is a poor metirc for highway worthiness. I mean KLX250 has a top speed of 135-140 kmh but any rider who has put a lot of highway distance on a KLX250 knows that it is not very happy at highway speeds above 100-110 kmh. And if you encounter any sort of incline or wind (except the always-welcome tailwind!) then maintaining that speed often becomes difficult (or impossible). And even under good riding conditions there is very little roll-on at 100-110 kmh so passing becomes an exercise in planning and caution. I suppose you could cruise at highway speeds a little higher than 100-110 kmh if you don't mind flogging the engine wot for hours on end but I've never found that satisfying. Based on KLX300R, we can expect KLX300 to deliver 4.5-5hp more than KLX250 which will make a difference on the highway especially when dealing with wind and inclines. And an extra 5 hp would be very welcome for passing. But will it increases its comfortable cruising speed? IMO not by much. With respect to wind protection, KLX300 has no wind protection and Versys-X 300 which makes for a massive difference in rider comfort at highway speeds. Sure, you could add a small windshield to KLX300 which would help protect the rider from wind and cold but that is still not as good as a proper fairing.
  10. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Yea, that "adding a small windshield" thing is something I tried on my recently-departed DR650. Now that was a thumper with plenty of cajones for highway speeds. But at least for me, putting a windshield on the DR (and I tried several different things), was an exercise in futility. I know plenty of people have done it, but it just didn't work for me. I much prefer something with a windshield (and fairing) already designed that way from the get-go. I used to enjoy all of the farkling and (seemingly endless!) experimentation, but these days I find it more bothersome and would rather just ride.
  11. DavidM1

DavidM1 Unicorn hunting

Oddometer:
    Just reminding myself of what the latest KLR650 looked like.
    [​IMG]

The one I once rented must have been a '90s model
    [​IMG]
  12. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki New Zealand reports the following power output for 2020 KLX300R and we can assume, I think, that KLX300 will be pretty much the same (note: I included conversions to non-metric units for our non-metric inmates):
    - Max power = 29 PS (28.6 HP) @ 8000 RPM
    - Max torque = 26 Nm (19.2 ft-lb) @ 7000 RPM
    CRP6001 and 11motos like this.
  13. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    A small windshield, if you can find one that fits, works reasonably well on some bikes but not so good on others. My brother has a KLX250 which he fitted with a small windshield that he designed and fabricated himself. It does make a noticebale difference to riding comfort on the highway but it certainly does not offer the same protection as a factory windshield and fairing.
    11motos and RedEX like this.
  14. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I moved on to the T700. The engine is an excellent match for an adventure bike. The suspension, seat , weather protection and riding positions make for a very comfy ride. The bike is planted on the hwy and feels light and balanced on the backroads, gravel, dirt, rocks etc. A lowering kit will lower the seat to 33" to make it more approachable for some. Long service intervals, ease of maintenance and 57 mpg are icing on the cake. Has a 419lb carrying capacity but the passenger seat is thin. Its 60 lbs lighter than the AT and a much more service friendly. Have you read the AT problems thread ?
  15. rideforzen

rideforzen Long timer

Oddometer:
    So around 23-24 rwhp ?

The klx250 is 19-20 rwhp.
    11motos likes this.
  16. Northern_Rider777

Northern_Rider777 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I def need to test ride some bikes this spring. I may get on the highway with something that people consider not fun, and I might just say, “This isn’t too bad.” Or within 30 seconds I might be like “F$&! This!”

I am happy I picked the VX300 as my first bike, but at the same time, I don’t know any better.
    RedEX, SoManyFish, rideforzen and 2 others like this.
  17. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, you'll never be satisfied with any choice until you experience some others. As the saying goes: You don't know what you might be missing until you try it. Be sure to try some that are very different from the Versys-X, and very different from each other. Especially try some that allow for different types of riding than the Versys-X: some that are predominantly or entirely "street" bikes and some that are mostly "dirt" or "dual purpose". As you said, it's just as important to find things you don't like as ones you do.

Enjoy the rides!

...ken...
    11motos likes this.
  18. vt700guy

Oddometer:
    I do like the T7 but it's geared a little too much for dirt for me. I already have a YZ250 for serious dirt riding.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  19. SoManyFish

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's about what I would expect.
  20. gavmac

gavmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    The top bike is a KLR650E, the bottom bike is a KLR650C, the KLR650B was the Tengai. We had the C models in Australia originally and got the A models beginning 2004 & now the E models.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawasaki_KLR650
    DavidM1 likes this.