Versys-X 400 speculations thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PaD, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spoked wheels are overrated in a small bike, you have much less force trying to break them and the lesser weight is much more valuable on a small bike
    Ken in Regina likes this.
  2. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Along with mag wheels being tubeless..
    Vertical C and Bullwinkle like this.
  3. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    The 390 appears to be holding up rather robustly in its 6 years being around.

I have both the 390 Adventure and the VX 300 and I would vote the 390 the more capable off roader...
    Gotta body slam all 3 of your problems with the 390 vs.the VX 300.
    Ouch..

Let me just say though that if I had to choose the 390 Adventure or the VX300 for a RTW I would have to go with the Kawasaki...

KTM ⚡ electronics complexity kinda scary....
    Kawaski twin spins like crazy but doesn't seem to matter as they are tough as an anvil
  4. Ian_TT

Ian_TT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's no simple fits all answer. If you're riding rocky terrain and like paperthin tires with low pressure, spoke wheels are must. Especially if pressure is low enough to warrant rimlocks.

On other hand cast wheels with strong tires on lighter bike are good enough for most situations, and you have to be a total masochist to run tubes in Mitas Dakar and to lesser degree Heidi and MotoZ, especially on the rims with safety bead hump.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's an interesting point of view but I guess it depends on what type of adventure you're looking for. I broke shock mount on bike with 220mm travel and people were destroying shocks on Yamahas and Hondas, this was on what was marked as international highway M41.. god forsake secondary roads.

If you feel comfortable tackling down Lockhart basin on VX3 with disregard to frame/suspension integrity that's one thing, but I would be concerned long term. And "I would just stay on good roads" doesn't exactly works in 3rd world road could go from nice to full BDR and back within a couple miles.. just saying.
  7. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    i still think spokes are overrated on small bikes. Maybe that 1 percent scenario is better, but you have poorer performance on the other 99 percent with higher weight and having to deal with tubes at this price point. i think i would prefer to run slightly slower in rocky terrain.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's not only rocks. Friend of mine trying to catch group ran across a crack in the pavement at 60mph. Crack turned out to be several feet wide; no he didn't crash managed to lift front but rear suffered 19 broken spokes. It was in the middle of nowhere, they did manage to find spokes and rebuild the wheel but cast would have been a total loss I don't think you can find someone to weld aluminum that easy in Africa.

That said if I were to get 390 spoke wheels wouldn't be at the top of my list. Beefier bash plate, luggage support and tires.. If KTM wouldn't have a good deal for swap at the time of purchase, I would let them run until they need replacement.
  9. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not relates to versys-x, but I don't think there are any 21" non-spoke front wheels on any bike. I think there are some cast wheels for 19".
    RedEX likes this.
  10. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    I define RTW adventure as getting from point A to point B and not breaking...

I've done thousands of Central America roads with bikes less capable than a VX3.

Guess you need to know when to not get in a hurry.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are you gonna do on washboard? You have to get to a certain speed or it will rattle bike into pieces. There are some places where they yet to discover graders, they use bulldozers instead.
  13. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Somehow riders and bikes make it..
    SoManyFish and rideforzen like this.
  14. 11motos

11motos Feral Rider

Oddometer:
    Hi.
    If one never leaves the asphalt or easy dirt roads that might be the case.
    A cast or aluminum wheels would not last in many small bikes since smaller and lighter bikes are the ones people use to ride hard and jump.
    I have never seen an enduro, trials, trail or motocross bike large or small with anything other than spoke wheels.
    Also cast wheels can be heavier than the same wheel with spokes even in smaller bikes. just because some of those also use smaller rims, spokes and hubs.
    Years ago someone posted several wheels designs weights somewhere here. The lighter and stronger ones were carbon fiber ones but very expensive and
    w/o much tensile strength so when they break they break dramatically. That is why nobody uses them for anything other than track and sports bikes.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riding from Mazatlan to Durango bypassing ruta 666 and from Urique to Battapilas through canyon is on my to-do list; VX3 doesn't cut for it, you need something with better suspension like CRF Rally.

As for getting from A to B without breaking, if not breaking is an ultimate goal, why not stay home?
  16. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The two are not mutually exclusive. The obvious primary goal is getting from A to B. Part of the method of getting there is without breaking.

I suspect that list of How's also includes things like not getting sick, not going broke, not starving, not running out of gas or money, and others...

...ken...
    SoManyFish, RedEX and CRP6001 like this.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my travels I managed to loose my wallet twice, once in Rocky spring, WY and once in Shymkent, KZ. Last time was especially hard took 5 days to get replacement card FedExed.. if not for people would have been tough; ended up sleeping in truck, truck driver had pity and shared his food and space.

The only guaranteed way to avoid misshapes is to not go anywhere. Yes you can try to get prepared, but reality can bite back in unexpected ways; you just have to deal with it at some point.

Not really related but since this thread long time ago turned into chatroom, enjoy:
  18. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Because this is Adventure Rider not Couch Rider..
    LazyR, flexiflyer and Ken in Regina like this.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Starbucks rider?
    SoManyFish likes this.
  20. SoManyFish

SoManyFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or, you could slow down. I've never seen a washboard so severe that it could not be navigated by even the most humble motorcycle by slowing down to the point where the suspension could do its job -- absorb kinetic energy and dissipate it as heat. Riding slowly might not be thrilling but it greatly reduces the forces applied to the wheels, suspension and frame. And being forced to ride slowly has own inherent rewards such as giving the rider time to think, to ponder, and to observe the world around them. Millions of people in developing countries all over the world manage to ride their old, inexpensive, underpowered, designed-for-street motorcycles over some of the worst "roads" and terrain imaginable. Yet somehow most of them manage to make it from Point A to Point B without their vehicles breaking down left and right. The goal of many travelers is to travel from Point A to Point B but an equally important goal of a wise traveler is to enjoy the journey along the way. For me, there is little enjoyment in travelling from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible. Of course, there are other schools of thought and to each their own.
    RedEX, inroads, LazyR and 3 others like this.